Drinking Alcohol

debah
on 6/6/04 11:29 am - Wildomar, CA
I had a little coconut rum on ice a few weeks ago, at home, and figured I really feel it, but I didn't. I didn't even get a little tipsy. But I also didn't go back for more. I just wanted a taste, and that was enough. Right now wine sounds fabulous, too bad there is none in the house--or maybe that is a good thing
Katie D.
on 6/7/04 7:37 am - Luxemburg, WI
I had a VERY honest Nutrionist that told me, that everyone has their OWN timeline, and mostly the people that set up these "timelines" have never had WLS. So her exact words to me are all you can do is "try it" be careful NEVER go overboard and if your body isnt ready it will tell you. Everything you are told is an "average" some docs say 8 weeks and some say a year, I appreciate and trust everything she tells me, and I did try a mixed drink last weekend and it went fine, did feel quite a bit more "tipsy" than I usually do after one drink....good luck with what you decide!!!! Katie 258/220/130 4/2/2004
loriann117
on 6/7/04 3:55 pm - New Bern , NC
Eternity I had my surgery 4/1. We went to Florida last week and we were all at the Tiki Bar....oh how I wanted a drink. Talked with the people I was with and the bartender, we decided that cranberry and vodka probably had the least amount of sugar so I went for it. I took a couple of sips and waited about 15 minutes....No problems!! I only had that one drink the entire night, didn't want to chance my luck and get sick while on vacation. I agree with the other poster, we all are different and will react differently. I have decided at this point I am going to try new things and if they work wonderful and if not, lesson learned!!! Good luck girl and go enjoy yourself with your friends, just take it easy!!! Lori
Kelly W.
on 6/8/04 11:43 am - Lafayette, LA
I had surgery on 4/1/04 and had my first alcoholic beverage 2 weeks ago. I was 7 weeks out. I had a glass of wine. Last weekend I went out again and had a few dirty martini's. Just be careful........ you get drunk fast now!!!!!! Kelly
aimeexx
on 6/9/04 6:42 am - Beaumont, CA
I have been bad too. I have had white wine several times. One time, almost a whole bottle!!!!!!!! I was so drunk and sick, but unable to throw anything up. Anyways, I am guilty and I will be having some more wine this weekend when I go to the Colorado River. I am just trying not to overdo it... Aimee Corcoran
Larakatya
on 6/10/04 12:47 am - Twin Cities, MN
Hi there Aimee, Not to be your mom or bust your chops, but after reading your post on how much alcohol you are consuming, I feel you need to reevaluate what you are choosing to do. I have no right to tell you what to do, so instead I'll ask questions: 1. Do you understand the risks to your liver of drinking to excess as a post-op? You had an RNY that means you have a much lower tolerance than someone who hasn't had surgical bipass because alcohol is more readily able to get into the bloodstream. Those with alcohol problems are screened out of most WLS programs because the risk of the patient killing themselves with liver failure is too grave. 2. How many calories does an entire bottle of wine have in it? Alcoholic beverages are incredibly high in calories. They also dehydrate you and do not count as part of your "64 oz". 3. Was the "Sweet spot" of the first 6 months post-op explained to you? The first 6 months after surgery we produce the greatest weight loss during our journey. Not that the tool won't be there for the rest of our lives, but it will never be this easy again to lose large amounts of weight. The more you lose in this time, the less you'll have to lose once it starts getting harder. 4. What about alcohol is so important that you'd risk your life, and weightloss process to drink it? 5. Was it explained to you that when people lose a coping mechanism (in our common case - Food) that they often are at serious risk to take up a new self-destructive habit? WLS patients can often become addicted to new things that weren't a problem before surgery to cope with the stress of surgery and to cope with the loss of their "food friend." I'm probably going to get roasted for saying all this, and if I've offended you, well honestly that would make me glad because it means that you are at least thinking about what I am saying. Drinking is a habit that we agreed to let go of for awhile. Not forever, but at least long enough to let our bodies heal, and let our bodies lose. You're health is worth way more than some wine. Thank you for reading. My best wishes for you on your journey, ~Lara
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views