FYI Protein absorption

Diana S.
on 5/29/04 11:23 pm - Lawton, OK
Hey everyone! I spoke to my nutritionist about how much protein a body can absorb in a sitting. She said there is no proof your body can only absorb 30 g of protein. When it comes to liquid protein, what matters is how fast you drink it. Your body can only absorb so many ounces of fluid so quick. If you chug a 12 oz drink, your body cannot absorb 12 ounces of fluid that quick. However, WLS patients cannot chug, so even drinking at our fastest is still slow enough for the body to absorb the fluid and the protein. When it comes to solid protein, we don't absorb as much protein as we eat because of the malabsorption factor of the surgery, not because we get to much. That is what she explained to me. She said after the first time she was asked this, she began to research it. She said that although it may be true for non-WLS people, for us it is not. Just thought I'd pass this along! Diana
Rachelq
on 5/30/04 2:34 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Thanks for sharing Diana. I heard a similar thing from my WLS nutritionist. She said the number was even lower though. I keep my protien per sitting to about 10 - 20 grams. I can get in all of my protien using this method. So even if our nutritionists are mistaken (an often times the are...or facts change, etc). I'm still getting adequate protien. Take care, Rachel
DEB W.
on 6/1/04 5:57 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Thanks for the insight, I was wondering about it too. I drink it three times a day, to get it all in. deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views