April 26ers.How are you doing?

Maureen C.
on 5/25/04 1:05 pm - MO
My first 2 1/2 weeks were great. Ilost 25 lbs and felt good. Then I was OK'd to start puredd foods and advance to soft foods last wek. I haven't lost any more weight since I started food. I have also not been able to get in my 64 oz of fluid any day since I started eating. ( 1/2 hr to eat, followed by 1/2 hr+ after eating without fluids.) I get arount 48oz/day only. I try, it just doesn't happen. Also I am sick of protein shakes, they make me gag to try to get them down. So I am averaging 40gm protein/day- mosltly from eggs, cheese, peanut butter, and fish. I only get approximately 300-600 calories/day. I know I need to eat more protein, but that will mean less fluid. I think I'm not losing weight because my body is in a starvation mode and not letting go of anything. I am also getting depressed that I have not had ANY weight loss in 2 weeks. I have been on several diets inthe past where I have lsot 25 lbs,fairly easily,but then never was able to lose any more, regardless of how I tried and exercised. I have been feeling a little panicky the last few days that I am a WLS failure, and the same thing has happened again. How much is everyone exercising? I am doing 1 mile on a treadmill and feel like that is difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Roger C.
on 5/25/04 9:02 pm - Cleveland, OH
Hi Maureen, First of all congrats on your weight loss...I had the surgery on April 22nd and I had my weight loss stall a little bit on or about the 3rd week. I think you have already answered your own question.....I know it is hard sometimes but you need to up your water, protein and calories. I tend to get about 72-84 oz of water or Crystal light a day and I get around 70-80 grams of protein and about 800-900 calories a day. I eat eggs, cottage cheese, skim milk, chicken, tuna, low fat deli meats (chicken, turkey, ham), Sugar Free pudding (with unflavored protein powder added), peanut butter and I drink either EAS Carb Control or Carb Option Ready to Drink protein shakes...I have 2 of those a day which gives me 200-380 calories and 30-40 grams of protein and then the rest is from the food. I walk 30 minutes a day....everyday. You will find once you up your calories, protein and fluid intake the weight will start coming off again. I know some days I am not really hungry, but I sometimes have to force myself to get everything in because I know if I don't my body will go into "starvation mode" and the weight will stop coming off again. I know it sounds weird but you need to eat to lose weight. Be patient and you will start to see the results again. Good Luck and Take care, Roger Open RNY 4-22-04 -39 lbs
Mary D.
on 5/26/04 12:22 am - Vestavia Hills, AL
I think you are right on track girlie.... I had my surgery the 26th and have lost the same as you 25 lbs. I have also lost 15.5 inches. I have to admit I'm a slave to the scale weighing myself at least twice a day.. but I'm realizing that is really not healthy. I'm going to do my best to only weigh once a week. I have read may posts where people are on like a 2 month plateau before they start losing again. Keep your chin up and do your best to get in all your water or crystal lite. I keep a bottle with me at all times. Water is also helpful to help your skin regain its elastisity. If 1 mile is difficult, I wouldn't pu**** more than that until you're ready. Listen to your body, it should tell you when something isn't right! Happy melting sweetie!
Staci J.
on 5/26/04 12:54 am - Clifton Park, NY
Hey there Maureen and 4/26ers!: OK - Here goes: Weight Loss: To date, I've lost 29 lbs. from surgery. I'm not sure how many inches I've lost, but, I've gone from a tight 20/22 to a perfect 16/18 fit. My pants are generally 16s now, and my tops are 16s and 18s. I was at a stall for about 10 days too, so I know how you feel. But, at the advice of my Nutritionist, I cut down the shakes, and upped the meals to 5 or 6, and the weight is starting to come off again! YEA! Eating: I've been cleared to eat regular foods since Friday (with the exception of steaks and salads), and so far, so good! I'm sticking to no more than 3/4 to 1 cup of solid food at a time; and I eat about 5-6 small protein-rich meals a day. I don't count calories (or even carbs, but I try to keep them low), and I really just eat until I'm satisfied, not even really FULL or overfull. But, I find that 1/2 to 3/4 cup of solid food DOES make me full, so it's pretty easy for me to stop there. As for shakes, I've pretty much given them up, but will occasionally have about 3-4 a week as a snack to supplement my protein. As for water, I COULD do 64 oz., but I often forget. I guess I average about 40-60 oz a day. (Would be more if I'd just give up the coffee, but I've sworn I'll do EVERYTHING I'm supposed to BUT that! LOL) Exercise: Unfortunately, I'm battling the tail end of a terrible "toddler cold", so I was unable to exercise for the 10 days I was stalled; but, I'm back on track now. I do 30 minutes of Gazelle in the morning OR 30 minutes of brisk walking at lunch. THEN, in the evenings, I do 30 minutes of Gazelle or walking, THEN 30 minutes of TaeBo. It's only the old "instructional" tape - and I can't fini**** - YET, but REALLY makes a difference! The first 2 nights I did it I lost 3 pounds! AND, now that this cold is going away, my energy is THROUGH THE ROOF!!! whoooo hooooo! A sample diet for me would be: Breakfast: 10 oz of REAL coffee with REAL sugar (about 2-3 tsp.) and Half-n-Half 10 am snack: Low carb yogurt or Jello Smoothie Lunch: 1/2 cup of homeade chilli with a piece of string cheese 3 pm snack: string cheese and/or 1/2 Lipton "Soup-at-Hand" Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast with some cheesy veggies 8 pm snack: String cheese w/ SF popsicle/fudgesicle OR protein shake Water - whatever I can get in. Depends on the day and the color/frequency of my urine output. Hope some of these help. It's working for me, but may not work for everybody. I feel great, and have been told I'm doing very well. I think so, but you never know!? Staci - 5'0" (Age: 33) LapBand 4/26/04 267(highest)/244 (Surgery)/215 (Current)/mini-goal: Under 200/Final goal: 125-135
Brenda L.
on 5/26/04 1:42 am - Carthage, TX
Hi I had surgery on April 26th. I did fineon the weight until 3 weeks out when I got a staph infection in the incision. I didn't loose any for about 10 days and yesterday I finally lost. I am down from 323lbs to 283lbs. I have had a lot of problem keeping foods down, but yesterday people from obesity help made some suggestions to me in the way of pasta such as : raviolies, macaroni and cheese, and cheese; so I will go to the grocery store. I am able to get the protein drink down, but must admit I am sick of them. I pretty much get my water in, but Have not excercised since being hospitalized for the staph infection. I have been to weak to excercise, but will try my hand at this soon. I think you have just reached a plateau and you will start loosing again soon. Good luck.... love, Brenda
~EbonyBarbie~
on 5/26/04 2:09 am - XX
Hey all fellow 26er's !!!!! I am down -27 started out with 20/22 dress now 18 perfect. I work out 4 days a week 30-45 mins by walking and avg of 1.50 miles. I try to keep my calorie intake between 500-600 daily. Protein intake 80g most day I get in my water, but do fall short sometimes. When this happens I notice a difference. I hope you give the protein shake another try they really help out big time !! Please try to block out negative thoughts. Even those of us who are losing still have the same crazy thoughts you expressed. Am I going to fail at this? Feeling panicky.... The truth of the matter is even when I am losing I still want more off !!! Sweetie understand this battle has us all on serious head trips. Hold your head up high you have done well. You will lose this weight. You will not fail. Love ya ~Lafonda~
Peggy Boyd
on 5/26/04 4:33 am - Antioch, TN
Hi, My name is Peggy I had mine done on April 26th as well. I didn't realize there were so many of us. I lost 30lb in the first two weeks, and then played with the same 3lb up and down for a week, then in the 4th week I lost 9. So I have decided that it just comes and goes. I was weighing every night, but now I am down to about once every two days. This is our one-month post-op today and I am down 40.4lbs. I still feel weak, but I am back at work. Is anyone else feeling weak? I have not even started exercising.
LV B.
on 5/26/04 5:31 am - auburn, AL
My surgery was 4/26 and I just had my 1 month check-up yesterday. I have lost a total of 30 pounds so far. My doc says my labwork looks really good. He did tell me that I need to consume more water. This will help with the constipation I have been experiencing and the lack of energy. I will be going back to work in about another week and a half. I really can't complain.
Jamming James
on 5/26/04 9:28 am - Backwoods, GA
Hi surgery buddies, I was an open on the 26th as well. At my checkup 2 weeks later I was down 26.4 lbs. I have another check-up in 2 weeks so I hope I'm down a few more lbs! I'm doing a 'soft food diet' at this point (thank God, that liquid diet was killing me...sick of cream soups). My 'old' blue jeans are quite loose...I actually have to wear the belt tighter! My friend told me to 'throw them away cause they don't fit any more'. The ex-witch didn't say anything about my weight loss..guess that's why she's the ex (sorry ladies about calling her a witch but ya know...ah...well, never mind)! But I love the ladies here on the boards I know...didn't help did it!
frea2bea
on 5/26/04 3:03 pm - COlorado Springs, CO
Hi! everyone! I'm so glad to hear how well everyone is doing. I have my 6 week check-up the 3rd. Then back to work on the 6th. I lost 32 pounds in the 1st 3 weeks, and haven't weighed since. Plan to weigh again at the appt. Not before. I've been feeling more energy. I can really tell the next day if I don't get all my water in. I'm getting about 80oz water per day. I strive for 50 gm protien, but mostly fall short. I am having trouble getting more than 400 calories each day. GOTTA work on that one. Am using fitday.com to keep track of my intake. Keep up the good work all you fellow 4/26er's!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views