staph infection need help with foods

Brenda L.
on 5/25/04 12:00 pm - Carthage, TX
Hi everyone, Three weeks out and I got a Staph infection, and spent 5 days in the hospital. I find myself having trouble finding things to eat that don't make me sick. Anyone got any ideas. I had two weeks of liquids then 4 weeks of soft foods, and I have about a week and half left of that, but nothing sounds good........help........................................even water makes me feel sick, any ideas please email me. Thanks bunches, Brenda P.s. can we have and will pasta stay down???????
Diana S.
on 5/25/04 12:43 pm - Lawton, OK
Have you tried mashed potatoes? I know in the beginning I was allowed to have them when I was on the soft food. I also like cottage cheese with shredded cheese mixed in and just a teaspoon of Catalina dressing mixed in. How about sugar free puddings? Or refried beans with sour cream? That was basically all I ate during my soft food period. I still don't like water but was told I could do sugar free kool-aid, Crystal Lite, etc if it helped me get more fluid down. And I serve it over a full glass of ice.........has to be cold. Or try chewing ice. That helps too. Diana
Rachelq
on 5/26/04 2:44 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Wow Diana, I could have written this post myself. I'm eating the same and can't stand water either. And ICE ICE ICE! Take care, Rachel
Rachelq
on 5/26/04 2:48 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Brenda, Sorry to hear about the infection and the additional hospital stay. Hope all is well with that. I'm eating mostly the same things as the previous poster except for the potatoes (too many carbs for me). My doc also says no to pastas or anything made with white flour. I really like having cottage cheese with a bit of unsweetened applesauce and spleda to sweeten. It goes down easy for me, and it a lot of protien. Hope that works for you! Take care, Rachel
Philip T.
on 5/28/04 9:31 am - Phillipsburg, NJ
My name is Phil Thomas and I didn't even make it out of the hospital the first time without developing a staff infection. I spent about 7 days in the hospital. I am out now and 6 weeks post-op, down almost 80lbs. and loveing it so far. Not too many things bother my stomach too much yet but from what I hear I am one of the lucky ones as far as that goes. Two things I have come to love are beef vegitable soup and Dente Moore Beef Stew...I would avoid the beef until you are ready for that though. It tastes great after weeks and weeks of liquid and soft diet. I would avoid pasta though, for me it sits heavy in my stomach and while it doesn't make me sick it makes me uncomfortable. A few times I even ate the center out of those frozen pot-pies, the veggies in them tend to be cooked really good and go down well. I have also heard that soups like Cream of Broccoli, Cream of Asparigus, Cream of Mushroom, you get the point, I don't care for these soups but I hear they do good with people having trouble finding things that their stomach can handle. ( I would try not to rely too much on canned or frozen foods though because they are generally high in sodium(salt) and isn't good for high blood preasure.) As far as liquids I drink Crystal Light and Ice Water, although I have become particularly fond of the Pink Lemenade Crystal Light. Before the surgery I was drinking 4 2-liters of Coke a day so this is a big change for me but I don't mind too much.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views