lettuce @ 1 1/2 months post op

fairyswand
on 5/25/04 1:26 am - Rincon, GA
OK major question here. I am now about one and a half months post op and I am craving salad. I know I am suppposed to be eating the soft stuff. But I ate pasta the other day with no problem. I want to know if it is ok to have salad like lettuce yet? Please help me!
DEB W.
on 5/25/04 3:15 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
stephanie, It honestly depends on your dr. and nutionalist...I am not suppose to have any pasta, breads (except whole grain) rice, beef, pork, refined sugar and soda at all for awhile. as for salad, I am at 7 weeks tomorrow and I am allowed to have salad now, I don't eat very much, but with low fat or fat free dressing it sure tasted good, just remember to chew chew chew but call your dr. first to be sure. deb -41
DianneW
on 5/25/04 3:21 am - Louisville, KY
I will be 6 weeks Thursday and a "regular diet" and can then add one fiberous item of my choosing as tolerated at a time. (Still no seeds, skins, coconut). Lettuce is one of the things on the list. A nurse friend of mine said she wouldn't recommend trying it first. She suggested trying a peeled apple. I imagine it will depend on how much other uncooked fruits and vegies you have tried, but you might want to start with something softer like a really ripe pear, which I've already had (early I know) and was fine. Good luck. Dianne PS. I ate one strawberry, even though I knew I wasn't suppose to and felt horrible for days because of the seeds. I know others who have no problems with them.
Debbie B.
on 5/31/04 9:57 am - Bethlehem, PA
I eat strawberries, raspberries and blackberries without any problems. I love salad with grape tomatoes and tiny pieces of cucumbers.
Rae Smiles
on 5/25/04 6:10 am - Mount Airy, MD
I am almost 6 weeks old and have cheated with you guessed it....salad....I have had LITTLE bits of lettuce and a few pieces of sliced carrot (very small)....I have had no problems so far. I tried a few pieces of pasta.... spagetti noodles are NOT a good thing for me....felt like an elephant sitting on my chest....small noodles, like bowtie pasta, no problems.... also, I am having trouble with eggs....I haven't tried an egg for about a week...since the last time that elephant sat on my chest.... anywho...ok, I can't tolerate eggs yet...but I am down almost 30 lbs since surgery and 40 since just prior....if I can keep up this weight loss, I will give up eggs. Personally, I would try the salad...just go slow and just eat a tiny bit the first few times just to see your reaction.... enjoy, RAE
Roger C.
on 5/25/04 6:46 am - Cleveland, OH
Hi Stephanie, I will be 5 weeks out on Thursday and I have had salads already. I would check with your surgeon or dietician first to make sure. I was told only to do iceburg lettuce only at first. I had 1/2 of a McDonalds Grilled Chicken Ceasar salad (only 2 strips of chicken) last night...I added some shredded cheese and a broken up hard boiled egg to up the protein. I had no problem with it because lettuce breaks up to almost nothing when you chew it real well. Take care, Roger Open RNY 4-22-04 -38 lbs
Linda W.
on 5/25/04 12:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Wow, I'm able to eat much more than some of the other post ops!! I had a bacon ranch salad w/grilled chicken and balsamic vinigarette from MackyD's for lunch today. My doctor cleared me for regular food yesterday and I specifically asked him about raw salads and he said it was fine. I had no problems with it, just couldn't eat but a third of it and that's still a lot compared to most others!!! Hope I haven't stretched my pouch!
Diana S.
on 5/25/04 12:32 pm - Lawton, OK
I love lettuce and am allowed to eat it 'carefully'. I would take a bite, chew it well and wait about 5 minutes. See how you feel after that. I know some vegetables I have ate have not settled well or given me gas. If your doctor says it's okay, just wait and see how your body handles it. Diana
Lois N.
on 5/26/04 2:02 am - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am 7 weeks post-op and I was told no salad yet..but guess what I just had a salad and chewed very well and I am fine....It was sooooooo good and I could not resist. My salad had a little bit of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red peppers, green peppers and low fat dressing. Lois
Larakatya
on 5/26/04 6:19 am - Twin Cities, MN
My nutritionist said at my 3 week meeting, Salad is ok, but PROTEIN FORWARD, so eat the egg or chicken or tuna or nuts or tofu, or whatever protein (I also like shredded cheese or Chickpeas) you have on it FIRST, then the vegetables (tomatoes, carrot slivers, green peas, etc.) then I can eat some of the greens. I find that I love the baby greens more, because they have flavor. My absolute favorite is the mixed baby greens mix with fresh herbs in it. MMMMmmmm. . . . Just Chew chew chew. . .(I am sure you know the drill) Be careful with pasta. Make sure that it is way past al-dente. If it swells in the pouch that HURTS. Same for rice. Clear it with your Dr and/or Nutritionist. Best wishes, ~Lara
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views