Vitamins?

Ira T.
on 5/24/04 12:09 am - IL
Hi, everyone. I just wonder what kind of vitamins are you taking. I am 7 weeks out. I take daily: Flinstones with iron (1 tablet), Tums with calcium (1 tablet). Once a week I take B-12 (1000mg) sublingual. That's it. Additional comment. My doctor told me that nobody, except for sportsmen can tolerate more than 30 gr of protein in one serving. I also found the same info on the site Vitalady.com. According to dr. and site even if you take shake with 50 gr protein in it, you are getting only 30mg max.
Rae Smiles
on 5/24/04 1:39 am - Mount Airy, MD
I am taking flinstones with iron twice a day...except the orange ones...YUCK!!!! The purple and pink are just ok, but I can handle both without a problem. Also: PEP, maximum strenght, I take it twice daily. Actigall, just-in-case, for the gall bladder. My doc told me that I only have to stay on the actigall for a few months. I am supposed to take it twice a day, BUT, it can not be taken within 2 hours of any anacid SO I typically take it once in the middle of the day...my doc was ok with that...although he would prefer me to take it twice. At first, I had problems with it....it upset my stomach...but what didn"t? Anywho....it is a HUGE capsule that I empty into yogurt or applesauce...the med has NO taste, so that is a plus. But now at 5 weeks out, I have no side effects from it at all...except, I hope, no problems with the gallbladder. Apparently at my 6 week follow-up, I will be instructed to start on calcium supplements, etc. I want to start calcium soon....I have developed a sensitivity to milk and yogurt...but I can still handle cheese. Also concerned about the B vitamins....but at this point I am feeling good. RAE
DianneW
on 5/24/04 2:44 am - Louisville, KY
I take Centrum, Feasol Iron 2x/day, 500 mcg B 2x/day, calcium/mag 2x/day, Actigal 2x/day, all are pill form I swallow whole I started day one in the hospital. I take them 1 at a time 10 minutes a part. somtimes it feels like they get stuck. YUCK. I usually take all of them with my protien shake in the AM and PM. Dianne
Kim T.
on 5/24/04 2:59 am - Dracut, MA
I think every doctor is different i take 1 Centrum multi vitamin with minerals 1 B-12 1 iron pill (Vitron-C) 1 IC Ursodiol (pill for gall bladder) take this one twice a day. 2 Viactiv calcium chew thingies a day, but cant take them with my other pills and cant take the 2 together so i forget to take these often. ~Kim
Kathy B.
on 5/24/04 6:44 am - Lodi, CA
Get the book "Living & Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery before & after" Susan Maria Leach I got my copy at Border's after seeing its review in the People Magazine week of May 15th? (not sure but for sure over the past two weeks) Awesome book, and tells it like it is with the "Flintstone" vitamins. I found a WEALTH on information in this book. According to her, toss them and get VistaVitamins. I use "optisource" specifically formulated for use after bariatric surgery. You can only get them ONLINE at walgreens.com . They are very easy to take, go down well, and most importantly are incrediblly loaded with the supplements we need.
sloane
on 5/24/04 8:50 am - New Albany, OH
Ira, My doctor prescribed pre-natal vitamins at 2 weeks post. They really have given me more energy. I couldn't stand the sweet taste of the Flintstones. Tandi
Diana S.
on 5/24/04 12:28 pm - Lawton, OK
Hi, I take 2 tablespoons of a liquid multivitamin. It's got enough of everything but calcium. It also has the nutrients of eating your 5 fruits and veggies a day. I mix a little Crystal Lite or something to tone the taste. Not bad but not good. I take 2 Tums a day for calcium. I take Synthroid because I don't have a thyroid I take Prevacid once a day right now. This is just for the first month post op then I won't take it anymore. I've also heard it said your body can't take in more than 30 grams of protein at a time but it's also how fast you drink it. If you take it in quickly, you get less. I drink the 50 gram shakes and it takes me about 3 hours to fini**** ( I add lots of ice) I usually drink it in the morning. I just spend the rest of the afternoon drinking other fluids and then have a 30 gram shake in the evening. Gives me roughly 80 grams of protein a day plus whatever food I eat.
Rugman
on 5/24/04 9:06 pm - Lumberton, NC
It is amazing at the differences among doctors... LOL I take two Flintstone Complete Vatamins a day.. I also take two Tums chewables a day. As of yet I don't need any extra B12
belovedwun
on 5/25/04 10:30 am - Roosevelt, NY
Hey I take 2 flinstones with iron chewable a day, 5 extra strength tums a day, 1 packet of prevacid in 20cc's of water a day, and nasil B-12 500mcg spray once a week , I am suppose to be taking iron but I don't, I will be taking the actigall in a couple of days for 6 months Sharon
Dawn C.
on 5/26/04 2:28 am - Pittsburgh, PA
At 12 days out I started vitamins adding one each day. I now am taking all of them. 2 flintstone chewables 500 mg calcium 2x/day (I use pills or viactive) 500 mcg b-12 500 mg Vitamin C 325 mg Feosol (iron) 15 mg zinc (optional) I also take Actigall twice a day for 6 months to hopefully prevent gall bladder problems. A stool softener (Colace) is also optional but I haven't needed it yet.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views