protein bars and menu advice

livistarr
on 5/21/04 4:21 am - Warren, OH
Hi! I had my RNY on April 20. I started out at 324 and I am now 294. I am having a real hard time getting all of the protein I need to every day. I seem to get nauseated almost every time I drink my protein shakes. I have tried several types and I think it's a texture thing. Any how, what is the consensus on starting protein bars? Also, does anyone have any more tips for food? I am existing pretty much off of cottage cheese, baked fish, tuna salad, baked beans and protein shakes. I tried baked chicken 2 weeks ago and had some sort of horrible cramping thing from it that lasted for about 6 long hours! Could I try chicken again? How about meat? I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks! Olivia
Rae Smiles
on 5/21/04 4:56 am - Mount Airy, MD
I love the nectar protein drink...Fuzzy Naval flavor only though....the very cherry berry is G-R-O-S-S!! http://www.absolutesupplements.com/syn_nectar.html As I mentioned in a previous post, I can't seem to handle the milk based products.... RAE
Katy J.
on 5/21/04 6:44 am - Goldsboro, NC
Hey Olivia!!!! Try the chocolate Ensure, or Slim Fast Royal Chocolate as a protein shake. My Dr. has not cleared me for Protein bars, but I can eat Peanutbutter. I had some Tuna salad with 3 Saltiene crackes, and that cramp thing that happened to you, happenend to me too. I'll stay away from crackers for a while, cause that sure hurt. I eat cheese, scrambled eggs, egg dropp soup and stuff like that. I hope this helps a little. Katy
livistarr
on 5/21/04 8:28 am - Warren, OH
My weight loss center says they don't recommend protein bars until 3 months out because they may be harder to digest, but I didn't know if anyone had tried them with any success... thanx
Mary H.
on 5/21/04 4:30 pm - Duvall, WA
Hi Olivia. I am 31/2 weeks out and I started eating protein bars yesterday. I just couldn't handle the protein shakes any longer! They are wonderful and so far I have had no problems. I bought the ones from Costco called "Protein". They were a life saver for me! Good luck, Mary
Robin O.
on 5/22/04 1:04 am - FL
Hi, I'm a 4/19 girl so we are in just about the same place. Sounds like you, me and Rae may all be lactose intolerant. I was getting dumping with milk and yogurt, so check your cans, if they are milk based that could be the problem. I also had a 6 hour sick round with chicken. It was aweful, haven't wanted any chicken since then... scared to try. But I have found I can eat some beef. Made a meatloaf this week, very lean fine ground beef, crumbed crackers, egg, seasonings and ketsup. Baked on a cookie sheet so fat could drank away from the meat. Went down so good with a tablespoon of mashed potato and 3 or 4 well cooked green beans. Sure worth a try! Good luck!
Rachelq
on 5/23/04 10:22 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I've heard from a lot of my friends that they don't tolerate chicken well. One said she couldn't eat it until about 6mos out. I have tried it really super shredded (I'm in the pureed stage). It went down ok. I also tried really ground up beef and it was good too. I tried less than a quarter cup of each. I haven't tried bars yet, but GNC liquid protien keeps me from getting too sick of shakes. Good luck, Rachel
livistarr
on 5/23/04 11:31 am - Warren, OH
I tried a Detour bar yesterday and today and had no problems...it just took me about 4 hours to eat! Olivia
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views