Problems with Diet! :help:

Robin O.
on 5/20/04 1:02 pm - FL
Hi, I'm from the class of 4/19 Lap RNY Proximal, and having some difficulties with food. I have been having problems with dumping since the beginning, but thought it was due to 2 rounds of antibiotics. After the anitbiotics were out of my system, I realized that I am not processing milk or yogurt. Seem to handle small amounts of cheese okay, also cannot seem to get down chicken. No matter what I do it seems to just sit in my chest (I think we all know this terrible feeling). I feel sure there is no blockage, tonight I ate several ounces of meatloaf and they went down smooth. Problem is that without milk I am having hard time getting in enough protein. I have had good weight loss, down 40 lbs, but feel I am eating too many carbs and not enough protein. So easy to eat cream of wheat for breakfast rather than fight an egg down. Any one have suggestions?
Kathy S.
on 5/20/04 5:02 pm - Lodi, CA
Have you tried the Carb Countdown by Atkins. It is a great way to get extra protein especially if you mix it with a good protein powder for shakes. 40 lbs If I am looking at this right you have lost 40 lbs in a month and you think it is not enough....? I think that is great! I had my surgery 4/26 and I am happy with 20 lbs. Milk has a lot of sugars in it and that is more than likely why you are dumping. leave it alone for awhile. I eat fish. Poached in white wine with a little dill. if you cook it just til done. it is real easy to chew fine enough. and remember to swallow tiny bits at a time and wait a minute between bites. That has been the hardest for me. I want to swallow then take another bite. If I wait a minute It just works better. It takes us a little while to really feel what is going on in there. We will get it someday....good luck
Christina S.
on 5/21/04 12:16 am - Alden, NY
Maybe you are lacose intolerant??? I dont know Ive had a uneventful recovery, but I will tell you this it is about eraser size bites , chewed, chewed and chew it some more. Lots of time between bites. I can sit down with friends and take as long to eat my little portion as they are eating a whole dinner. Yes sometimes I have to be very aware of how fast Im eating. I hope this can help you in some way, good luck to you!!!
Rae Smiles
on 5/21/04 1:05 am - Mount Airy, MD
Hi, I am a fellow 4/19'er....I have had no real issues with food....BUT....I have had a milk addiction since a child...one of my favorite meals before surgery? Pizza and milk!! YUM!! Any-who....back on topic....I have not been able to handle (or enjoy) milk since surgery. I was drinking milk based protein drinks...boy, they did not sit well. I can handle cheese, beef, fish and shrimp....chicken? It just depends on the day....no rhyme or reason. If you like fish...and I do, but only certain kinds...very white fish only. There is a pre-package fish in the freezer section...I think it is Gorden's Fisherman variety...it is baked, and comes in several different flavors....lemon butter, garlic butter, etc...it has approx 17 grams protein and is VERY good and doesn't taste or smell like cat food. It comes two pieces per box and is a bit expensive, but it goes on sale frequently and I find coupons in the sunday newspaper....typically, I buy 5-8 boxes at a time, whenever on sale. On the protein drink topic...I found the Fuzzy Navel flavor of Nectar protein VERY GOOD!!! In fact, I really like it. I wish I could be as nice about the Very Cherry Berry flavor...it sucks!! Check it out at: http://www.absolutesupplements.com/syn_nectar.html What about bean-less chili? Hormel beanless chili is actually rather good and has some fat and approx 17 grams protein...also, I add a bit of low-fat cheese too...but even without the cheese, 17 grams is good. On the weightloss, 40 lbs gone forever? You are doing great...I am down "only" 30 lbs....LOL 30 lbs...when was the last time I lost 30 lbs? About 2 years ago with 5 months of diet pills....I was cranky, hot and sweaty all the time but, I did get alot done. LOL Also, I have had a problem with yogurts. For a nice treat, (if you haven;t already) try sugar free fudgsicles....yummy!! I don't care for the sugar free popsicles...way too sweet. Sorry for the rambling.... Keep us posted, RAE
Robin O.
on 5/21/04 4:05 am - FL
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. It's not that I'm not thrilled will my weightloss, would never say that! I guess it's just that my nutritionist diet plan is all based on chicken and milk. Needed to wine a little since I am struggling to find things that go down. Was so glad to hear that I am not the only one that has trouble with chicken. I had previous heard no one say this. Appreciate the other suggestions as well. Good luck to all!
Larakatya
on 5/24/04 1:27 am - Twin Cities, MN
For easier processing, have you tried the canned white chicken breast? It makes a mean chicken salad with a touch of light mayo, some green onion and black pepper. It goes in easier than any other chicken I have had. For me, its all about the grease. If it's greasy, it ain't staying in little pouchy very long (she's quite testy!). Some days Shrimp are my best friend, some days I look at them and get queasy. I can't do eggs at all (scrambled, boiled, fried, whites only, NOTHIN!) But milk goes ok for me. To get extra protein, GNC has a flavorless whey protein that you could add to your cream of wheat. (you don't have to feel carb guilt if you pack the protein punch up a few notches!) Best of luck to you on your journey, ~Lara Lap RNY 4/1/04 400/310 (that's 45 before surgery, and 45 post-op)/ goal of 260
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views