Anyone have low thryoid before surgery?

FrancieP
on 5/19/04 3:35 am - West Des Moines, IA
If so, I'd like to hear your experience with your medication since surgery. Have you had to change your dosage, brand, etc? My surgery was 3 wks ago yesterday, and I haven't strarted back on Levoxyl yet. I tried it one day just before my 2-wk checkup, and felt strange all day....brain fog, lethargic, couldn't think/concentrate. It's the only thing I did different that day, so I attributed it to the medication. Told my surgeon, and she said not to take Levoxyl until after we get labs done at my 4 wk check next Monday -- she wants to check my TSH, T3 and see how it's doing. I've only lost 18 lbs since surgery, despite following the plan to a "T." I'm wondering if the lack of medication is contributing to that?! Francie P Lap RNY 4/27/04
Josie C.
on 5/19/04 8:58 am - High Desert, CA
I also have hypothyroidism. My surgery was also three weeks ago (4/26), but I've never stopped my Levoxyl. My Dr. has me cru**** and take it with about 1oz of water. I've been doing it everyday without any problem. I am a little over zealous about taking it...my numbers went out of whack a couple of years ago and the hair loss, mood swings...ick. I have no desire to go through that again. However, my weight loss...according to my scale...is nothing to rave about either. My PCP scale says I was -28 10 days after surgery...my surgeon's scale says -7 10 days after surgery...my own -10. Strange thing is my sister who gets on them after me and is about 60lbs lighter and it reads exactly right on for her. So I am not really sure how much weight I have lost. My clothes are looser, I don't pooch out of the top of my bra and my face is thinner. But I do know that my medication was still considered a bit off just before surgery, but the surgeon didn't want to change it so close to my surgery date. So it will get checked around the 16th of June...I think that is when I am scheduled to go back for a check-up...with both my PCP and surgeon...lucky me.
Rachelq
on 5/19/04 10:45 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Francie, I take levoxyl too. and I had my surgery 4/27 too. I haven't noticed anything weird from it. I can take my pill whole with out a problem (now that I can drink a little more water). Definitely let me know how your tests comes out. I was under the impression that once you start taking synthetic thyroid replacement (or whatever the right term would be), you had to for the rest of your life. Also, I haven't lost much more than you despite the fact that I'm taking it. Rachel
Jaime_C
on 5/20/04 2:38 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I am seven weeks out today, and I have lost 34 pounds. According to my labs, my pcp says my thyroid levels are "perfect," BUT I think they are on the low side of perfect, and my weight loss has slowed considerably. I lost 26 lbs in the first 3 weeks, and only 2 lbs a week since. I am having my bloodwork faxed to my psych guy who is pickier about levels than my pcp... I'll let you know. Oh, I've been taking my synthroid since two or three days post-op without a problem.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views