how do you guys cope?

Jenny R.
on 5/14/04 8:19 am - DeSoto, TX
I have seen alot of people concerned with the actual weight loss part (3 1/2 wks post op-27 lbs.) and I am semi-concerned. I seem to have hit a plateau, but more than that I want to know if anyone is experiencing depression because of the "mouring of food". I seem to have more depression over the food part of it than anything else.
Maureen C.
on 5/14/04 8:34 am - MO
Jenny, I understand how you feel. 3 years ago,I got a virus that attacked my olfactory nerves and I totally lost my sense of smell. Until that happened,I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Afer you lose your sense of smell,your sense of taste is greatly diminished. For several months, all I could taste was sweet,salty,sour and bitter. Texture became more important than taste,but the loss of eating great tasting food caused me to be depressed also. When I had my psych consult, that was one of the questions the Dr.Asked about,mourning food and I felt that the WLS would not be a big issue since I have been though that already. So far I'm right. It's normal for you to feel this way, but I would also encourage you to seek professional help if it becomes significant. This should only be temporary,as you add more food to your diet, and adjust to your new life, it should get better. Good luck. Maureen RNY 4/26/04 -22
MonCheriAmour
on 5/14/04 8:37 am - Lansing, MI
Hi Jenny: I had my surgery on April 9th and I to am experiencing what seem's to be a plateau.... My body seem's to be stuck at 28-30 pound weight-loss. Several long-time post-op's have shared with me that this is normal, and that my body has to adjust to the new me. I have mourned food to some degree, especially when I mentally don't get to eat everything on the plate.... I am not mad about it, because I sign up for this surgery, knowing this was part of the sacrifices I would be making. I do however, missed my tastebud's being satisfied. I get physically full, but I still feel mentally deprived at times... I know overtime I will see the secondary gain's which are good health, smaller and nice clothes,doing physical activities with my children.... and I could go on, and on, and on.... Stay encouraged, because I have to believe the best is yet to come for you and me!! Cheri'
frea2bea
on 5/14/04 9:01 am - COlorado Springs, CO
Jenny, I am post-op from 4/26/04. I am calling this grief "head hunger" I know exactly what you are talking about. We will be able to once again taste our fav foods. Now we have the tool to enjoy them in moderation. Praise GOD! I keep reminding myself, as the previous post that this is temporary. Even plataues are temporary. God Bless you all!!
Lois N.
on 5/17/04 1:31 am - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi Jenny, I had RNY on April 1st and hit a plateau at about 3 1/2 weeks but guess what all of a sudden it was just melting off. When I went for my 1 month post-op I was down 37 pounds and six days later I was down 45 pounds. All to say don't worry it is very normal to stop losing for a week or two but keep on doing what the doc ordered and it will start coming again. As for mouning food I really can't comment as I don't mourn it but I definitly crave all the old fried foods etc. Good Luck Lois
BeckyB1971
on 5/17/04 3:32 am - Manitowoc, WI
I had surgery on April 12th and have hit two plateaus since. It happens. I was really concerned and even called my doctor's office to find out if there was something wrong with me. They told me it happens and that I should stop weighing myself daily. They also told me that what I wasn't losing in pounds I was probably losing in inches. My nurse said that my body was just readjusting to the weight loss and that it would pass in a few days. It did and I am back on the losing track again. I have lost about 30 lbs so far and although it isn't coming off as quick as I would like it I am really starting to notice and so has other people. Just get all your protein in and keep doing what you are doing. It will pass. As for the food part - I still crave foods also but just deal with it knowing that pretty soon I will be so impressed with the outcome of this surgery and my hard work that I won't even think about that later. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views