can the rny be reversed?

wildrose021
on 5/7/04 2:28 am - MN
i havent been able to eat for two days now i had the surgery one and a half weeks ago and ive already lost almost thirty pounds i can barely drink im so dehydrated the gas is so bad i cant drink water because of this funny taste in my mouth and it makes this weird pressure on my stomach and makes me nauseas. im just not strong enouph to take this can i get it reversed?
Val L.
on 5/7/04 2:47 am - Brick, nj
Chris - You need to drink fluids, any fluids!! I love decafe coffee. I know I'm lucky, but you have to help yourself and make yourself get better!! Find something, ANYTHING sugar free and DRINK!! Take anit-gas pill to help with gas pains!! Take tums to build calcium, and take your flintstones chewables! You don't want to stop this now!! You're on your way to a new life, a new you!!! Don't give up!!! Keep trying things until you find what you can and can't handle! My wife makes me sugar free gello. All different flavors!! Tastes as good as anything I've ever eaten!! My surgery date was 4/26. I've lost 21 lbs so far and can't wait to be thin and in control of my live again!!! Good luck!!! DON'T GIVE UP!!!
DEB W.
on 5/7/04 3:58 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Dear Chris, I am one month out today. I didn't have the greatest feelings my first week or two either. In fact when I came home, I hoped I could have stayed one more day in the hospital. I couldn't sleep when I got home at all. I have sleep apneia and I had to sleep sitting up with my machine.what a pain that was. I was sick to my stomack, constipated and gasy too. but all of this improved each day. I ate SF popcicles, SF jello and Crystal Lite ice tea..This is the only things I had for almost two weeks, except for an occassional mashed potato thing or scrambled egg. You MUST have fluids or you will dehydrate quickly andthen you will be back in the hospital again!!!!! Tums helps the gasy feeling and also gives you some of the calcium you need, take those vitamins one in the am and one in the pm. sip, sip, sip, sip..don't gulp. You are, I PROMISE, going to feel better each day. You don't want to reverse this, my dr. said it is not possible to reverse..but only because he knows that it is very dangerous to do this. Keep you chin up. It does get better. deb
Angela B.
on 5/7/04 4:47 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Christina~ I know the first while is hard. I told myself before surgery that I would give myself at least two months to feel better, emotionally & physically. It is a huge adjustment. I am just over one month out now and I am almost feeling normal so please, please give yourself some time. Do not worry if you can't eat yet. That is normal. Also, try not worry about losing weight so fast. I did too at first but it started to level out a bit at about 3 weeks and now it is very manageable. You must get some fluids in though. I could not drink water for the first 2.5 weeks but you have to experiment with different things to find what works. I could only stand each drink for about 2-3 days at first because I would start to hate the taste but here are some that helped get some fluids in. I watered down all of these... crystal lite (I like the peach tea best), propel, fruit20, SF tang, sugar free swiss miss hot cocoa, broth, herbal and decaf tea with splenda. Even now the only water I can stand is room temperature Aquafina. So do experiment and get some liquids down somehow. Also, drink VERY slowly with tiny sips. I ate GasX like candy after surgery and it helped a lot. The gas will start to ease up soon. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time but it will get better soon I promise!! Good luck, Angela
aimeexx
on 5/7/04 5:59 am - Beaumont, CA
I am 3 1/2 weeks out now, and for most of it I have regretted my decision and wondered if it could be reversed!!!!!! Only now am I beginning to get used to it. I don't have a LOT of pain but what I do have is so irritating! I was super dehydrated too. Even now when I drink water I must drink too much of it because it hurts going down. I love to drink Diet Ice Botanicals from Costco- they are YUMM!! And much easier to get down. PLUS, I lost 30 lbs very quickly and now have slowed to almost nothing, which confused me because I thought if you only ate 500 calories a day the weight would drop off. So, believe me you are not alone and if you want some support email me. Aimee Corcoran [email protected]
Rachelq
on 5/7/04 6:39 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Christina, I'm sorry that things aren't going well for you. Have you talked to your doctor...he can give some anti nasuea (sp?) medication. I am also taking malox for gas...gas pain was really bad in the first few days...but 1-1/2weeks later, I'm passing gas (both ways) very easily now. I also have to drink everything ice cold (I was never an ice person before this suregry). I have lost 2o+ lbs so far...but I had really bad edema and all of the fluid from that completely flushed out of me...so most was water weight. So that much weightloss is not abnormal for me. You will need to make sure that you are not getting a ...i think its called a stricture (anyone?)...which would not allow anything to pass. So definitely call your doctor. Good Luck Rachel
Pamela F.
on 5/7/04 11:54 pm - Hedgesville, WV
Hang in there Christina. I, too, felt horrible for about a week and one-half after - I was so so tired (I have a 3-year-old at home, too) and barely wanted to do anything. Drinking water was horrible - the first sip or two and I would burp and nearly vomit - my doctor told me to forget the water for now (I tried it cold, room temp, and everything) and to focus on something sugar free (I am a diabetic). I was so dehydrated that when I would stand up, I would nearly pass out every time. My blood pressure went down to 76/50 and that added to it. I began with Crystal Lite teas - raspberry and peach, and their Sunrise Orange (tastes so much like orange juice) and some of the other flavors, and SF Tang which I love. It has made the difference and I am up to close to 64 ounces daily. I also do 3 Atkin's ready-made shakes for protein daily and love them. I used to make my own shakes with Healthway Soy protein mix and love them, (so does my 3-year-old) too, but Atkins is easier for now for me. I am just now getting to start exercise (I am 3 plus weeks from my surgery on 4/13/2004) and have lost over 25 pounds. I lost 24 in the first 11 days and then have been on a stall for the past 2 weeks, but lost a couple over the past few days. It is long and hard and I am impatient. I just hope you will hang in there and endure - contrary to popular belief by most of us in the first short while - it DOES get better and you will move on and be able to eat and drink. A lifesaver in the food department for me on pureed was making my own chicken salad with pureed chicken, cheese and a hard-boiled egg all pureed up with fat-free Miracle Whip and a drop of mustard. It is so good and goes down really easy. I also eat a lot of fish (mostly Talapia as it is so flaky and easy to get down). You can do it - you have a big cheering section in this group and I know you will make it! It is the start of a new life for you - and my l last chance at one as I am 51 and have many medical conditions, but I am doing it - slowly and one step at a time! Keep your chin and head up - it will get better!!! Smiles, Pamela
Lori F.
on 5/9/04 1:49 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Have you discussed this with your surgeon? If you haven't been able to eat, had such horrible gas, and have pressure on your stomach, maybe there's something the surgeon can do about it so you're not so uncomfortable. These are all symptoms my surgeon told me to report to him immediately.
sloane
on 5/10/04 5:27 am - New Albany, OH
Christine, I know exactly how you feel. I felt horrible for the first 2 weeks. I couldn't ge****er down and all the other "sugar free" drinks tasted horrible to me. I just kept trying every drink I could find until I finally tried decaf ice-tea with a tiny bit of splenda. That went down fine. Milk also went down fine for me. I'm now 3 1/2 weeks out and the improvement is 200%. I can get the water down better and I feel more like my old self. Pls contact your physician b/c there are things they can prescribe/do to help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views