what do i eat at week 1-2?

Kellrad
on 5/6/04 12:56 pm - El Cajon, CA
Hi all, I just had surgery on friday. I am doing well and tollreating liquids well. My Dr. told me to start the next phase of working in high protein low fat foods. so far I have tried cottage cheese and yogurt and they went well. What other things could you suggest? When do I try something with crunch? Thanks for all your support.
Liz...Tulsa
on 5/7/04 2:48 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I'm on week 2 1/2 and just started on pureed foods. I've done cottage cheese, refried beans (Bush's has 0 sugar and lower carbs), mashed up an avacado (YUMMY), and tried string cheese today. These have all tasted wonderfully to me. I've also done oatmeal and cream of wheat for breakfast. I couldn't stand the instant pudding, so I got cook n serve sf pudding; OMG so much better!!! Also get the Carb Countdown milk. It's a little more expensive, but far better on the carbs and protein. Crunch? I'd give it at least 2 months. I'm afraid I won't get it chewed enough to not hurt my pouch. We're still going to be healing for quite some time. Liz
Maureen C.
on 5/7/04 3:26 am - MO
WOW, I'm amazedthat you are eating already. mY physician insists on 17 days of clear liquids with protien shakes before starting any food. I am looking forward to scambled eggs and soups soon. I'm now 11 days post op and have lost 16 lbs.
rstauz
on 5/7/04 5:29 am - Milwaukee, WI
And wow, I'm shocked that it took this long for pureed foods. My doctor had me eating pureed before I left the hospital. Now (almost three weeks op) I eat: mashed potatoes, tuna, salmon, soft cereal, jello, pudding, eggs, shrimp, and soft fruits. I haven't had any problems tolorating any of the foods.
Katy J.
on 5/7/04 9:23 am - Goldsboro, NC
Had my first post-op Dr.'s visit today, had surgery on 4-27-04 RNY-lap, and have been on liquits as well. The only thing I tried and did well with, was Nectar whey protein mixed with 2% milk, instead of the insure. Don't like the taste. I also tried egg-dropp soups and liked it too . I'll get to try creamed food on Monday. I have lost 28 lbs so far. I'm not so sure when I'll try something crunchy, I'm still sore in some places and until that is completely gone, no way. I'm a chicken I guess, lol, God Bless, Katy.
Pamela F.
on 5/8/04 12:25 am - Hedgesville, WV
I am 3+ weeks out now and went to pureed foods on the 6th day after my 4/13/2004 surgery. My doc's nutritionist gave me a book she made up with menus, foods for each transition, etc. I found a life saver as I didn't like the pureed chicken with broth. I puree the chicken, cheese, and a hard-boiled egg and mix it all up with FF Miracle Whip and a little mustard. Two chix breasts will make me enough for a whole week of meals and more! I eat it with some low-fat cottage cheese for my lunch and do fish for my dinners. I mix, for breakfast, 1/2 packet of Cream of Wheat with 1/2 scoop of Keto protein oatmeal with non-fat milk 1/3rd cup and eat most of that for my breakfast. I also do 3 Atkin's protein shakes daily. Sometimes I have low-carb yogurt or some cheese with my meal. There is nothing crunchy in this book I was given - I can have nothing fried with a coating, no beef for a year, and the surgeon told me advancing to the soft foods is really hard as you have to chew and pulvarize the chicken, and that the pureed method was much better for a long while. I have to really watch the carbs, as well as the fat, as I was a brittle diabetic on insulin (now only on an oral med and about to go off of that!! but carbs still affect my levels) I love the chix salad and don't get tired of it. I also did tuna salad the same way, and then tried it with some shrimp. Very good and fast, after making it and storing. I use my tiny food processor to do it all. Easy clean up, too. Good luck to you! Smiles, Pamela
sloane
on 5/10/04 5:33 am - New Albany, OH
Kellie, I started on pureed foods before I left the hospital. These are things that have worked great for me: sf ff pudding make the whole package and add 1/4 cup dried milk for more protein; yogurt blended with cottage cheese, mashed potatos with protein powder (I lived on these for at least two weeks). I'm 4 weeks out and I don't eat much with a "crunch" other than saltine crackers. Remember the more liquidy the food, the easier it goes down and "crunchy" foods are too liquidy.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views