Secret Fears...of a New Post-OP

MonCheriAmour
on 5/4/04 10:43 am - Lansing, MI
Hello Family: Well today I am almost 4 weeks post-op this coming Friday, and I have lost around 24 pounds. My secret fear, as I am sure many other's may feel the same way, and that is "Failing at this thing." I am scared that I am gonna eat the wrong things.... I am scared because I still love carbs from a short distance. I am terrible at comparing my progress with other wls patient's on this board, even though I promised that I wouldn't.... Today I ate: Protein Shake for Breakfast 23grams Snack 4 Triscutts Crackers with Simply Jiff 9-10grams Protein Shake for Lunch 23 grams Dinner 1/2 of a Baked Potato with Lowfat Cheese, and a tablespoon of lite Sour -Cream 9grams So why do I feel guilty? Is it because I ate a few carb's? the Crackers and the Potato? Should I eat protein only for every meal and NO carbs at all? I need some advice.... ?? What I am dealing with is the emotional part of this surgery.... can someone out there can relate? Maybe this is some of the emotional things you go through on our journey...... to dealing with food issue's. Cheri
DeeLynette S
on 5/4/04 12:33 pm - Crest Hill, IL
Cheri, I think you are doing great. Dont compare yourself to anyone else on this board, because the simple fact is everyone struggles with eating. As far as carbs go. Do what's best for you. If carbs work for you and you are loosing don't miss out cause it's not working for someone else. Girl you should see how things are going for me. Compared to me you are doing excellent, but you grow as you go. It will get better for us you will see.
bky962
on 5/4/04 1:43 pm - Visalia, CA
I THINK EVERYONE IS AFRAID OF FAILING. THIS IS LIKE OUR LAST HOPE. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DOING GREAT. DON'T WORRY SO MUCH OR YOU WILL DRIVE YOURSELF CRAZY.
MonCheriAmour
on 5/4/04 8:35 pm - Lansing, MI
Thanks for both of your responses!! I appreciate your support!
Janice H.
on 5/4/04 11:03 pm - dewey, az
Cheri--You ARE doing great. I agree with the others--I think we all have that fear that we will fail. I've thought that I may be the one person that this surgery doesn't work for. But I know that I'm wrong and so are you. We will be successful. Anmd what you are eating sounds fine to me. I'm only a week post-op so the whole eating thing is new to me. But I think the fact that you're drinking 2 protein shakes a day is great. And you didn't have that much in the way of carbs. I have been feeling a little guilty because I have had mashed potatoes (with cottage cheese mixed in) a couple of times. But I was eating a low carb diet for a little over a year before surgery and hadn't had a potato in all that time. Each of us has to find what works for us and go with it. So, you go girl. You are doing GREAT!!
Staci J.
on 5/4/04 11:54 pm - Clifton Park, NY
Hi there Cheri: Let me tell you, you are NOT alone in this fear. I'm soooo proud of what I've done ... for SO MANY reasons. But with the wonderful feeling of pride, self-love, self-asteem, etc., I know there comes RESPONSIBILITY. I told myself in the year I struggled to GET surgery that one of the main reasons I was doing this was to set a strong, healthy, and fit example for my daughter. Now, it's either "**** or get OFF the POT!". Granted, I'm only 10 days out and I've done well (-20 lbs.), but I REALLY feel the pressure to do well. Not only for me, but for my daughter, my family (my sister is looking to have a LapBand too, and whether she proceeds with surgery or not is LARGELY due to whether or not I succeed), etc. Add to THAT is the added responsibility of having chosen a less popular (more controversial?) TYPE of WLS, and feeling obligated to DEFEND my decision at every turn. Finally, for me, this surgery has been SUCH a BLESSING from GOD. An opportunity NOT to be wasted. I'm often overwhelmed at how much is expected of me in the comming months. The scrutiny alone is scarry. So. I FEEL what you're saying. Now. Don't get me wrong. I've always had a fairly good self image and I'm not afraid to be a "leader" or an "example". In fact, I'm honored to HAVE such a roll. But. It's pretty damn scarry, too. I just wanted to tell you Cheri. I think you're doing GREAT! The menu described above sounds balanced, healthy, and (most importantly) one that can be followed for a LIFETIME. Relax and enjoy this time and getting to know the real you. I'm trying to do that more every day. AND ... don't feel guilty about your food choices ... WHATEVER they are. If you're like me, then associating food with guilt is probably a LARGE part of why you're here in the first place. Put guilt aside. You now eat to live, not live to eat. Good luck and MUCH continued success to you! Staci LapBand 4/26/04 244/224/Under 200 by July 4th.
2FatB4
on 5/5/04 10:37 am - small town, MI
I have the same fear. It is like this was the last chance. What happens when you blow your last chance? I am scared to find out. I am not even going to try to test my pouch. I don't want to be one of those that don't dump. I am a horrible sweet eater. I have always made bad food choices. I don't want to get back into those habits. I am trying to stay away from carbs, just because I know they are a problem for me. I am still on pureed so I usually have: Two servings of Nectar's Roadside Lemonade, 4 oz. of low carb yogurt and two 1/2 c. servings of pureed meat (usually tuna) and a Fudgesicle for a late day snack. I have also started to walk 1/2 hr almost every day. Good luck. Alison
DianneW
on 5/5/04 4:32 pm - Louisville, KY
I'm impressed you are getting so much protien in. I need to start writting mine down. When I first got out I was staying at my dads and he had graham crackers. They went down easy melted in a little milk. I decided not to have them in my house. I binged on them before my surgery and it would be easy to eat to many and they are basically empty calories. I think if you are combining your carbs. with protien you are doing great. Don't worry. Dianne
Jerry B.
on 5/6/04 12:37 am - Huntsville, AL
Cheri, My eating schedule is very similar to yours. Although I lost a large amount of weight the first several weeks just one pound the third week. I had an apointment with my surgeon who advised this was normal. Your eating very low calories, so the weight will come off, just be paitent.
MonCheriAmour
on 5/6/04 2:49 am - Lansing, MI
Thanks again for ALL of your responses.... they mean so much to me!! I keep checking every few day's to see if there are new post, and I appreciate each and everyone of them... Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views