Left sided pain

Maureen C.
on 5/1/04 8:43 am - MO
I had surgery 4/26 and was having a fantastic recovery. Yesterday I felt so good,I went for a 1/2 mile walk. Later in the day,I started getting sharp pains on my left side under my rib cage. It has increased tremendously and I had to sleep sitting up last night and I'm moving very slowly today. No fever,no increase in drainage,and I'm using my incentive spirometer as high as I was prior. Could this be from the long walk or does anyone have any suggestions?
Linda W.
on 5/1/04 8:49 am - Jacksonville, FL
Maureen I had/have the same pain after surgery and brought it up to my surgeon and he said it's a result of the surgery and it will eventually get better. Mine is finally starting to ease up and I can now sleep on my left side, with a pillow under my abdomen. Hopefully after I get this drain out, it will get even better, quicker!!!
Jaime_C
on 5/1/04 10:18 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Maureen, I had that same pain, and so did Linda from LA (we were in the same hospital on the same day. We were told it was from the big stomach being stitched onto the abdominal wall. It does pass! I'm one month out (surgery 4/1 RNY Fobi Lap) and I don't have the pain anymore. Jaime
Karen S.
on 5/2/04 9:29 am - Island Lake, IL
Maureen, I have the same thing but not as bad. It seems to get worse with increased activity. I found that when it started to get sore, I slowed down and rested. Also, I gave carefull attention to amounts and frequency of when I ate. As time goes by, it happens less and less. My surgery was 4/2/2004. Recovery time also takes less as time goes by. I was doing 4 miles reularly at an aerobic level pre-op. At this point (30 days) I am up to 2 miles with 19 minutes per mile. Good luck and as always, check with your surgeon! Karen
DEB W.
on 5/3/04 12:28 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Maureen, I am almost 4 weeks out, and I am still sore. I have a very high tolerance to pain, so I just work thru it. Remember you just had major surgery, and all the surgery was done on the left side. I hurt under my rib cage and my left breast even hurt. I felt like I had side stiches (the ones you used to get when you would run too fast) but I wasn't running. I also walked last Friday, and did about 1/4 a mile and was hurting. If you hold a small pillow next to your tummy and walk with it, it keeps the stomach from jiggling and it doesn't hurt near as bad. I am not up to a mile yet. But every day is better pain wise. My surgery was 4/7. -32 Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views