Hello Everyone

JJ J.
on 4/29/04 11:27 pm - Ipswich, MA
My surgery date is not until June 21st, but I thought I would come ask the pro's a question.... This surgery is a big deal... but what I'm most concerned about are the needles. Getting the IV is the worst part of this process for me. Also the shots in the hospital after the surgery. Except for the normal bloodwork, is there any thing else I can expect? Please please let me know. And can you please let me know how your IV experiences went? Were the shots after the surgery terrible? Thanks friends! - Jackie
Marycc
on 4/30/04 12:04 am - Seacoast, VA
Jackie, Part of me is ashamed to admit that for me the biggest fear I had going into the surgery was the needles!!! Okay, maybe not quite the biggest fear but needles and I are not friends. I have actually put off different procedures before based solely on my fear of needles. When it came to this surgery I knew that all good would come out of it and that is what I kept telling myself - over and over again. That the "pain" from any needle would be well worth the incredible life the surgery would give me. So when it comes time to get the IV - close your eyes and think about yourself in six months or a year. Think about all the positive changes and how great you will feel. Know that the 30 seconds or so it takes will be well worth it. Now the truth......the shots right before and after surgery - the ones that go in your belling....I was freaking over the first one....It was NOTHING!!! Got myself all worked up over NOTHING!!! Little tiny ***** was all I felt. Couldn't even feel the fluid going in. If you can handle blookwork - trust me it will be a breeze. I was mad at myself for getting all worked up over it. As far as the IV's go.....I hate to share my experience will you....although it really was't bad. My veins tend to collapse which is where my problems come from. My advice....is explain your fears to the nurse who will be doing all your preop stuff. I did and she was excellent!! I told her my - "you have one chance and one chance only" rule. She tried - gave me the stuff to numb my hand - little poke, little burning sensation - just seconds worth. The IV just felt like pressure. It didn't work. She went and got an anesthesiologist(sp) - he took his one shot and one shot only and got it in. I really wasn't bad. I wouldn't lie. They put in a smaller than normal one the second time and then while I was under put in a second in case there would be a need for transfusions. I told them I didn't care what they did to me after I was asleep. Also, I got some "anti anxiety" pills from my PCP for a couple of days before and the morning of - they do make a difference. So from a woman who is terrified of needles, who shakes, who eyes swells with tears, who's hand turns colors from the "fear grip" on anything I can grab - the needles, the IV's were nothing. You will do fine - please don't get yourself worked up over it - I know easier said then done. So to sum it up: get drugs and use them, express your fears to your nurse, relax take deep breaths, close your eyes, and daydream of your new life!! I hope I have helped in some way. Mary
Maureen C.
on 4/30/04 3:23 am - MO
Just try to remember that the needle for the IV comes out as soon as they stick you. After that you areleft with a small flexible plastic catheter that the fluid goes through. I just had surgery this week and the heparin shots to the abdomen I didn't even feel.
Jillybean
on 4/30/04 4:21 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
I am terrible with needles. Any time I have to get blood drawn I nearly pass out. They always make me sit and give me some juice. lol With my IV, because of my history with IV's (I'm ALWAYS infiltrated-- I have horrible veins) and because of my fear, they had an IV nurse do it. She used a very tiny needle to give me some numbing medication before she started my IV, which didn't hurt at all. Then I felt absolutely nothing when she put my IV in. I didn't need any shots at all in the hospital. All meds went through my IV. This time was the ONLY time I only had to have my IV moved once and I didnt' come home full of bruises. Every hospital has a special IV team of nurses. If you're really afraid, ask for one instead of letting a regular nurse do it, and ask for the numbing medication first.
JJ J.
on 4/30/04 6:24 am - Ipswich, MA
Mary, Maureen, and Jill... Thank you SO much for your detailed responses. I do feel a bit more relieved. The surgery is a risk and will be very difficult - this I know, but I don't really care what they do to me while I'm under. My only real concern was the needles. I cannot tell you how mortified I am when I must get a needle. Thankfully, blood tests aren't that bad anymore. I've been through so many of them, that I'm used to it. Of course it's still uncomfortable and I do get light headed, but I can do it. .... 3 years ago I almost didn't get married because I had to get a blood test. That is how bad I used to be. I've come a long way since then, but I'm still terrified. Thank you again! I love hearing what you have to say since you've been through the surgery just recently. If you can think of anything else I should know, please post - JJ
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views