What will you tell people about your dramatic weight loss/

LisaW
on 4/23/04 2:32 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi all, I am concerned about how to respond when people start noticing the weight loss. I just met the BMI criteria of 40 by gaining a few pounds to be sure I would meet insurance approval. Many people don't think I really qualified for surgery. Two nurses in the hospital made comments that I wasn't big enough. I tried to explain that my weight issues were something that I had been dealing with since 12 years old. I explained how my knees are so painful but they didn't seem to understand. I work with the public and have always been openly self depricating about my size so I know people will make comments. Most will be encouraging me on my weight loss but they'll want to know how I am doing it. I don't want to have to rationalize why I did this with everyone but I also don't want to deny what is truly the tool that is working for me. What are you all doing. I haven't even told my family. I didn't want the feedback prior to surgery and now I just want to wait and tell them when they notice the weight coming off. My surgery was 5 days ago so I am still mending. thanks, Lisa
JoyCook
on 4/23/04 4:24 am - Little Rock, AR
Hi Lisa. I'm in a similar situation. I go back to work Monday after being off for 8 weeks (I had a hysterectomy at the same time and my job is very demanding). The people closest to me know, and I imagine word will spread (I have lost 34 lbs so far), but I also dread the "but you didn't need the surgery" remarks. On the other hand, I have dieted for 25 years and have lost and regained more weight than I can tell you. I don't want to reinforce the common thought that "all you need to do is diet". Diets did nothing but made me fat and guilt-ridden! I think for me, if they complement, I will just say "thank you". If they ask, I will tell them the full truth. If they pass judgement, I am sorry that they can't comprehend the reality that I have the right to pursue a healthy active life as much as anyone! But you have to do what works best for you. Good luck on achieving that "dramatic loss" that creates this problem! Joy -34 lbs since 3/1
irisheyes
on 4/23/04 4:24 am - Harmony, MN
I think it depends on how close you are to the person. my co-workers know and my close friends and family know. I figure if i think it's none of their business i would just say i'm eating less and exercising more.....which is true.... Good luck Katie
JESSICA S.
on 4/23/04 5:30 am - NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OH
I did the same thing to get approved. I guess I am planning on taking it by a case by case thing. If you dont feel comfortable about telling people, just say " I have just been working really hard and watching what I eat". Its not a lie, just a short version of what you are doing.
Linda W.
on 4/23/04 11:54 am - Jacksonville, FL
The truth or if I decide to, I'll tell them none of their business AND if I don't like what they say, I'm prone to go off on them. I have quite a temper and have no problems letting people know when they step out of line with me or disrespect someone unfairly!!! Comes from years of being mistreated because of my size and my color. I just got tired of it!
Rachelq
on 4/25/04 4:31 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I like Al Roker's approach..before he finally went public with his surgery. He would tell people he is 'eating less and exercising' both truths. I on the other hand find it very liberating to come clean about my surgery, and the nay sayers only strengthen my reslove. However, there will come a time that I'm tired of telling my story...I'm sure. So will probably use Al's approach. Good Luck, hope you mend quickly, Rachel
J H.
on 4/25/04 7:29 pm - Houston, TX
I have only chosen to tell a few people up until now. I have chosen my mom, dad, siblings, and my closest friends. I basically told my friends that I had made a decision and that I needed their prayers and understanding. They were great when I told them and very sad that I have had a painful time with my weight, which they were unaware of. I, however, am not going to be a walking billboard for the same reason as you. I don't need, no want the controversy in my life. It will create debates that there is no need to have. When people tell me I look great/wow you have lost so much weight/how did you do it? I am going to say, "a lot of work and prayer. Please pray for me that I will continue to do well." I feel this will help them feel more proactive i helping me and NOTHING I said will be untrue. If they want more specifics..tell them you are eating lean meat and leafy green veggies only and LOTS of water....walking. Whatever you are doing per your doctors instructions, but you don't have to elaborate that it is by doctors orders. Also, here is a trick I am going to use whenever possible, avoid the question. "Oh, my daughter just fell.....Excuse me I really need to find/use the ladies room.....etc.... Hope this helps, believe me, I have been thinking about this for awhile, JH
Skinny123
on 4/26/04 11:53 pm - Athens, AL
Hi Lisa, The only advise I can give you is to do what your heart tells you to do. I am very lucky. Everybody I work wtih, all my family, friends and the people in my church have been very very supportive. My biggest supporter is my boyfriend. Don't get discouraged by what other people may say. You made the right choice. Hope things go well for you. Good luck on your weight loss.
DEB W.
on 4/27/04 4:34 am - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Hey Lisa, I know FOR ME I am excited to share my news! I have wonderful dr.s and support group. My mentor is fabulous and no question is ever stupid to her. I too faced the very same issues..you don't need to loose weight, just diet etc. bla bla bla..well this was and is MY decision. My husband was very supportive and glad to see me do so well in just three short weeks. 25lbs less and two sizes down!!! I don't beat around the bush, and I don't make ANY excuses. I chose to do this for my quality of life, to spend many years with my DH, and my 4 kids and grandbaby!!! You don't have to answer to anyone but God and that is it!! Even my Christian friends were not very supportive...they did pray for me and I know this, because I have done so well. Keep your smile on your beautiful face and focus on healing and being less and less. deb wilder
Patti M.
on 4/27/04 5:45 am - Pasadena, MD
As for me I have told my Husband, my business partner and GOD. Praise the LORD he has helped me through this and I owe nothing to anyone else as far as an explanation. And I thank GOD and the folks on this website for that!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views