Getting Cold Feet

RJ V.
on 4/22/04 9:10 am - Sussex County, NJ
Hi there, Well my surgery date is coming up 4/27 and people at work are wishing me well. Tomorrow will be my last day at work for a while. I left work today feeling a bit depressed and somewhat nervous. I haven't been sleeping well. I'm thinking about calling this surgery off. I can't explain what is scaring me, there are so many emotions stirring within me. Anyone out there gone or going through these feelings? Any words to help get through these doubtful feelings? I try to tell myself these feelings and thoughts are normal but I don't seem to be able to convince myself. I think another thing getting to me is that I get mixed reactions, some people are supportive and others against what I am doing. I am worrying that I might have a tough time of it after the surgery. Gosh I must sound awful. I appreciate any advice and support I can get from you oout there and thanks for responding to me and giving me your time. RJ
Dodie R.
on 4/22/04 9:19 am - North Little Rock, AR
Hi RJ!! The emotions you are going through are very normal. Only you can decide if this surgery is right for you. I did not have the support of siblings or my elderly Mom, but with the support of my children and my husband, I decided to go through with the surgery. It is a lifestyle change for me. I did this for me and nobody else!!!! I am very glad I went through with this surgery. I am 17 days out of surgery and have lost a total of 29.5 lbs so far. I can breathe better, sleep better and I know that I have done something to increase my life span. Please know you are not alone in your feelings. We all go on this roller coaster ride of emotions. You are in my thoughts and prayers! God bless you Dodie
Donna K.
on 4/22/04 9:58 am - Waxhaw, NC
HI RJ. I had my surgery on 4/7. Was quite nervous as well. I am happy to say that everything has gone well. So far I have lost 33 lbs and ditto to what Dodie says. I feel better already. My one piece of recommendation is to make sure you have a protein source lined out. I was lethargic a little after my surgery. You just can't get enough protein. Finally I found a powder that I like. It is only sold on line but you can get it in sample size. It is at www.unjury.com Good luck with your decision. Despite all of the doubts I am glad for what I have done. See ya on the other side.
Lynda S.
on 4/22/04 11:04 am - Frederick, OK
Hi RJ: I just read your post. I just signed up today as I too was looking for support as my surgery date is 04/27/04 also. I KNOW WE CAN DO THIS............ I KNOW I CAN DO THIS........... We deserve to be on this new path. I am confident that I am doing the right thing. I have been down all the other paths and they have led me almost to the point of death. I get nervous when I think about the not having any colas or caffene and not knowing if my body will tolerate this new way of eating; but I feel like this is the path I am no now and it will all work out in the end. I read a post from a lady that said for the first 6 weeks she wondered what have I done and now a yr. down the road and a 140 lbs lighter she knows she has doen the right thing and would go back tomorrow if necessary............so that is encouraging to read. I look forward to meeting you in the hospital......... after we get on our feet and are in the halls walking together. Be strong......... and just put this mental flash card on your forehead when the doubts come close your eyes and deep breathe and and see these words: YOU CAN DO THIS...........I KNOW CAN....... This is the technique I used to quit smoking and it will be what we are going to do with this experience also. Best regards Lynda
Angela B.
on 4/22/04 1:34 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Hello~ I felt just like you for a week before I had surgery. Everytime I looked at my two little girls I would start to cry. In the end I just kept reminding myself of where I was headed if I did not have the surgery and that was not acceptable to me. I trusted my surgeon and knew that his rates of complication were far lower than the average. And I trusted G-d to take care of me. I felt calm going into the OR and I did just fine. It is completely normal to feel afraid, nervous and doubtful. It is a personal decision but know that the vast majority of us felt exactly the same and we are so happy that we did it! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, Angela PS: I am down 28 lbs since I had surgery on April 5th and I am feeling really great!
Kristin W.
on 4/22/04 3:42 pm - Boise, ID
Hi RJ. It is a very tough decision to make and only you can make that decision. I was scared to death, I had even watched many of my friends and co-workers have the surgery and come out fine but I was still scared. My family was not all that supportive they knew I had made my mind up and supported me as best as the could. When i was in the hospital waiting for the hour to come I asked my mom can I still back out, she was ready to take me and run. I am 4 months post-op down 70lbs and had 1 complication my gallbladder went bad 1 month after the gastric I had the same surgeon remove it. Other then that I have been doing great. I am so glad I decided not to back out. My life has changed so much and all for the better. You are the only one who can decide if this is for you. You have every right to be scared we all were. Best of luck in what you decide to do. Even after having a second surgery 1 month out and feeling like crap for 2 months I would do it again. If you go for it which I encourage I wish you the best and God Bless. Let us all know what you decide. I will pray for you. Kristin
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views