Surgery 4/19, I'm home.

rstauz
on 4/22/04 5:41 am - Milwaukee, WI
I'm home from having surgery on April 19th. I had a great experience at the hospital and the surgeon was great. I'm in some pain now at home, my left side is very sore. I don't like the pain med they sent me home with, it tastes horrible. If you're a fellow 19ther, let me know how you're doing. It would be great to compare notes.
Bryn Hagen
on 4/22/04 7:44 am - Jamestown, ND
Hi Rhonda! So glad to hear that you are home now. But, sorry for the discomfort/pain. What kind of pain meds are you taking? Are you getting a liquid form? I'm not a 4/19 but a 4/30 surgery date. I can't wait. I'm having the Open RNY. Would love to hear more of your experience in the hospital. Bryn Berthold
rstauz
on 4/22/04 8:28 am - Milwaukee, WI
Yes, it is liquid (Children's Silapap Elixir) I have to take 4 T, or try to. Hopefully, I won't need it too much longer.
Bryn Hagen
on 4/22/04 2:10 pm - Jamestown, ND
wow, a childrens med? How is that suppose to help with pain?
Rae Smiles
on 4/22/04 9:01 am - Mount Airy, MD
Hi Rhonda, I too had surgery on 4/19. I am home and doing well. I am sore, but getting around. good luck to you, RAE
Patti J.
on 4/22/04 9:40 am - Douglassville, PA
Hi Rhonda, I too had surgery on 4/19. I came home on 4/21 and I am VERY sore, but on my right side. I came home with a drain, which is really painful. I can't wait until Monday when I can have it removed. As far as eating, I'm not having any problems so far. Every day I seem to feel a little better, but I keep telling myself that it has only been 3 days so far! good luck! Patti
LisaW
on 4/23/04 1:59 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Rhonda, I had surgery 4/19 RNY LAP in Cincinnati. I am doing very well. I came home on Wed without pain meds. I have taken tylenol cut into 4 pieces for my headaches. I too have a drain tube which I dislike. Mine comes out Monday also. I have been on a clear liquids diet and my main complaint is indigestion. Today my Dr. said I could take Maalox and that I can advance to solid liquids and try one pureed food if desired. The one thing that is bothering me is that I find myself wanting to cry for no apparent reason. Of course it happens when I talk to my Dr. I think I probably seem like a nut case since I am doing so well. I have dreamt of food. Last night I dreamt that I ate an Oreo cookie and I was trying to scrape all the cookie from my mouth so that I wouldn't dump. I have had no dumping or vomiting what so ever thus far. I guess I am still very afraid that I will develop complications. I don't think that I will but the fear is always lurking. I'll post Monday after my Dr. visit and weigh in. I do not plan on getting on the scale more than once a week. Lisa
Deana M.
on 4/23/04 12:25 pm - Farmington, MN
A fellow 4/19 here. I came home on Wednesday (could have Tuesday- but I wanted to stay another day). Not too much pain- have Percocet if I need it and take it occasionally. My surgeon's diet is water/ice on surgery day, liquid on day one, and then regular foods after that. Proteins start a few at a time. Until Monday I can have eggs, cheese, cottage, cheese, peanut butter, and yogurt as well as most fruits, vegetables, and starches. So far I have had: scrambled egg, lemon and peach yogurt, bagel and peanutbutter, cottage cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, baked potato, strawberries, watermelon, apple sauce, and of course LOTS LOTS LOTS of water. Problem I am having is that there is still tenderness and soreness so I am unable to tell when I am full but of course I don't feel hungry and always eat 1/2 cup or less. Meds are a pain too. I am taking 2 antidepressants (4 pills total), actigall (2 a day), Percocet sometimes (4-6 a day), chewable multi vitamin, and 3 chocolate viactive chews. Phew- that's just a lot of pills! YUCK! Take care everyone! Deana
elaine R.
on 4/24/04 9:30 am - el paso, TX
Dear Deana: Just read your posting and was so so surprised that I had to write. I had my surgery on the 20th and was home three days later. I am sore but have not had to take pain meds but I will be on full liquids for 4-6 weeks. When I read your regime, I was amazed. I wonder why the difference. No solid food for more than a month and then just some pureed foods that sound gross. I have trouble getting water in because I am so busy trying to get the protein (70-90 grams daily) in. I have no desire to food yet but it seems everytime I turn on the TV, it is food commercials one after another. I still feel very swollen still. You amazed me. Elaine
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views