7th day post op

Deborah D.
on 4/19/04 11:46 am - Bonham, TX
I had surgery on April 12th and spent the first 3 days in ICU, the next 2 in a private room and then home on Friday evening. The first 36 hours, I was wishing I HAD died on the table. I was so nauseated and every muscle in my body hurt. It is really unbelievable to me how great I feel today, just one week later. I still have some soreness in my abdomen but other than that I feel really good. Now if I just could eat everything that pops into my head So far I have only had Carbolite Shakes, cottage cheese, string cheese, pudding and jello. Oh, and some soup. I am really getting sick of sweet tasting stuff and can't wait to graduate to more solid foods. I am chancing some fresh lima beans tonight and will see how that goes. If I can be of any help to anyone out there, feel free to contact me. Good luck to all!
Liana R.
on 4/19/04 1:09 pm - Newark, DE
Hi Deborah, I'm having surgery next Tuesday, April 27th. I fluctuate from total excitement to utter fear. I've had surgery before - 2 C-Sections (the first was really bad because the spinal block didn't take - felt the whole dang thing!), and gall bladder surgery. I think I can tolerate the pain ok, it's the nausea I'm dreading. Did the hospital give you anything to help that, such as Lomotil? Why were you in ICU? Did you have immediate complications right after surgery? Was your surgery laproscopic? Any advice/stories you could share would be greatly appreciate. I'm really excited for you that you're feeling great; it definitely gives me hope that things will go well for me too. Liana
Deborah D.
on 4/24/04 7:53 am - Bonham, TX
Hi Liana, I had lap surgery. I didn't have any complications just the worst case of nausea in history. They did give me several different things through my IV. I am not sure what 2 of them were but phenergan was the one they finally stuck with. Most of the nausea was gone the second day. I don't know if it was the medicine kicking in or it just finally wore off. I had only had a lumpectomy and tonsilectomy previously where I was completely out. I think maybe Jessica's doctor was onto the right track by giving her the patch BEFORE surgery. It is probably alot easier to prevent the nausea than control it once it gets started. I think my doc just automatically puts all his patients in ICU to begin with. They left me catheterized until I left the unit and a drain in too. I started running a low grade fever which caused me an extra day in the hospital but my doc finally just sent me home on antibiotics since my white count never soared or anything. Better safe than sorry as the old saying goes. I had the same muscle soreness with the anesthesia I had during the lumpectomy too. It is the kind of soreness you get when you overdo weight lifting only it is in every muscle. This CERTAINLY doesn't mean anyone else will have it. It is probably just a quirk in my system related to whatever anesthesia I had. After they started me on IV Demerol, Phenergan and Valium, I was resting pretty comfortably... who wouldn't?!?!?! ;-D I was out of bed and sitting in a chair the very next day with no problem. As of today, I am not really experiencing any hunger, pain or ANY kind of discomfort and feel absolutely great. I sometimes have to remind myself I even had surgery. It's just unbelievable. I am sure you will do great. No two people are alike or react exactly the same to things. You might want to mention the patch thing to your doc. I know I am going to ask my doc about that when I see him for my check-up this week. When my mother came to see me right after the surgery, she asked me if I would do it again. I told her to check back in 6 months!!! LOL If she were to ask me today I would tell her most emphatically, "YES! In a heartbeat." Good luck to you and let me know how you are.
JESSICA S.
on 4/20/04 1:36 am - NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OH
I had Lap on April 15th. I was fine. It is almost scarey, I was anticipating a lot more pain and nausea. I went home on the 18th. I was given something for nausea that worked wonders. I dont recall what the name of it was, but it was this patch that was put behind my ear and lasted for 48 hours. They put it on before I went in and I barely felt any nausea at all. Hope this helps and Happy GB to all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views