Sleeping on an Incline????

petel
on 4/17/04 2:46 pm - San Diego, CA
Hey All, I had my surgery on the 15th and just got home this afternoon. The nurse told me during discharge from the hospital that I should sleep on a 30 Degree incline using pillows or proping up the head of my bed. Has anyone else been told this or have you been able to sleep normaly after getting home from the hospital??? I am trying to get some sleep and cannot get comfortable propped up on all these pillows. Please reply asap so I can get rid of the pillows or know that I have to get used to it. Oh by the way, Surgery went well, textbook is what Dr. Mueller said. I had some bad gas discomfort that night and needed a supository to get rid of it. I am just getting to the point where I think I am glad I did it. Most annoying thing at the hospiotal was being hooked up to the leg things and IV. I could not get comfortable and did not get much sleep. I also have atrial fibrulation and had an episode this afternoon after returning from the hospital. Thank God I converted on my own after 2 hours and did not have to go back to the hospital. I feel good now and am trying to get enough water. Please write back right away if you know that sleeping in a normal bed is ok upon getting home. Thanks Pete
Kanelalyn
on 4/17/04 2:54 pm - Medford, OR
Wish I had some answers for you Pete, but I don't have my surgery until 4-27. Good luck, God bless and hope you start getting some rest.
cherub32169
on 4/17/04 9:39 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi Pete and congratulations on a smooth surgery! Did the nurse tell you why you had to sleep on an incline? Personally, I slept sitting straight up in the recliner in the hospital. I couldn't get comfortable in the bed. Coming home though, my bed felt so good I almost cried. I naturally sleep with two pillows but I was never told anything about sleeping angles. Maybe it has something to do with fluid retension? I'd check with your dr. Oh, and don't think it's not important enough to ask...you just got home from major surgery; EVERYTHING is important! lol Best wishes to you! -Sandra
Rhonda W.
on 4/18/04 5:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
Pete I understand your frustration. In the hospital I could not sleep in the bed it hurt to bad trying to get out of it so they put me in a recliner and it was much better for me. When I got home I laid down in my bed and could not get back out of it because of the pain so I cried and I finally was able to get up. I started sleeping in on my couch (the ends recline****il about a week and a half after I had the surgery. I am now sleeping in my own bed and I feel much more comfortable there. Things will get better for you in a few weeks you will see just hang in there. Rhonda
Rachelq
on 4/18/04 5:16 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Pete, I am pre-op, but I did ask my doc about sleeping after surgery. I'm having Lap...He said that I should sleep however I feel comfortable and that most likely, that would be at a slight incline. I have heard a lot of people rent recliners for comfortable sleeping. If you had open it may be different. You may want to post the question on the main board...there's a little more experience out there. Good luck, Rachel
Julie K.
on 4/18/04 10:44 am - Redding, CA
Nobody told me to sleep that way, but I did in the hospital (electric bed) my surgery was 4/12. I like being propped up to sleep. I am sorry I don't know why they would tell you to, but I was told sleeping in a recliner helps. Julie
DianneW
on 4/18/04 12:22 pm - Louisville, KY
Hi Pete, I slept on an incline pre-op so knew I would need to post-op. I have sleep apnea and GERD, those are the main reasons. Sleep "sitting" up helps you take bigger breaths and keeps your oxygen levels up. Mine still got quit low in the hospital. Since I'm home I'm worried, being on Oxycontin, and Perccet. I'm going deep breathing, coughint, taking benedryl, doing my inhalers, took a hot shower and drinking hot tea. trying to keep breathing. Keep a good thought. I'm still in lost of pain. Are you.? Diann
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views