Negative Reaction at Work

DianneW
on 4/13/04 6:46 am - Louisville, KY
Has anyone else had a negative reaction from co-workers. Most of my family and friends have been very supportive luckily, but today I told someone at work (Another friend said something about my being gone for a month) and I figured they'd find out anyway eventually. So I told them and they said they knew 20 people who were all unhappy with the surgery, right. I only know one other person, personally whose had the surgery and she's thrilled (3 years out). Anyway, now I'm sure she's going to blab to the whole hospital, which again, they would have found out eventually anyway, after I was out for 6 weeks and came back really thin.....Sometimes I think I shouldn't have said anything. Oh well.... Thanks. Dianne
bky962
on 4/13/04 6:58 am - Visalia, CA
I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK TO WORK YET BUT I HAVE THE SAME FEAR. EXCEPT I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD THE SURGERY AND ARE SO HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. IT IS AN INVESTMENT ON YOUR HEALTH AND ONLY YOU SHOULD DECIDE WHO'S OPINIONS YOUR WILING TO LISTEN TO AND THAT HAVE MERIT IN YOUR LIFE. I WORK AT A HOSPITAL AND I'M WORRIED ABOUT THEM NOT NOTICING I'VE LOST ANYHTING LIKE AS IF IT DIDN'T WORK. SILLY HUH? GOOD LUCK AND SHARE YOUR HAPPINESS WITH THOSE WHO ARE TRULY YOUR FRIENDS.
Rachelq
on 4/13/04 8:44 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Dianne, Not since being pregnant have I received so much free "advice". The nay sayers only strengthen my resolve though. The funniest one I've gotten so far was from the mgr of the grocery store I've shopped at for 7 years (yes, I am telling everyone). He told me that it was really dangerous...and that I didn't need it because HE would date me...I'm thinking...good for you. I wouldn't date you..and you're already thin. Kidding. I just said, "Well, I'd have to clear that with my husband...hee hee". Its a tough call...to tell or not tell. I've decided to tell the world whether they want to hear it or not. It has been very liberating for me! Take care, Rachel
ElvisGreaserGirl
on 4/13/04 9:14 am - Los Angeles, CA
Wanna talk about negative reaction? I had some complications and mentioned it to my boss.. They now put me on disability and have to go through tons of california state employment crap. They cut me off in 5 days.. seriously no pay... and I am the Top sales person...www.jamieashe.com. I cant even tell you i had time to think about it since the pain of my surgery is so intense.. but I would head warnings with what "WE" say to our employers. I think the less they know the better.. most of them think this is unneccasry and elective! Huff Puff Over Here...
Happy Girl
on 4/13/04 9:55 am - New Braunfels, TX
Hello Dianne! It is always hard on us when we hear negative comments because we are going through such a life changing event. We have chosen to do this because it is best for us. I am like Rachel, I tell everybody!! I would rather tell people than have them make assumptions about me. I guess I feel the people who are negative about wls do not know much about it. My co-workers all know, all the way up to the director of our company. I work in retail, we sell expensive clothes and am the assistant manager of our store and I too was worried about what their reaction would be. I decided that if they treated me different or made me feel uncomfortable I would have a nice thin body to go search for a new job. Just remember, you have not done anything wrong! If they go blab around the hospital they are the ones who look bad NOT YOU!!
Betty E.
on 4/13/04 1:25 pm - MD
Dianne... I know how you feel. I have someone in my office who I consider a very good friend. She has not supported my decision from the get go, thinks I should be able to do it on my own...all I have to do is eat one cookie instead of 6....anyway, today I was talking with another coworker about the post op and how much weight I should lose and she just said "I'll believe it when I see it"...kinda hurt my feelings knowing she has no faith in me whatsoever...hope she doesn't have to eat too much crow! We are doing what we have to to get ourselves healthy and the only person it should matter to is us..we are doing this for us, just keep that in mind...you will be in my prayers as we go through this lifechanging surgery together...let us know how things turn out as soon as you can Betty
Maria C.
on 4/13/04 1:54 pm - Brentwood, NY
Beware of the jealous people they are everywhere. Try to consentrate on the fact that in a few months you will be fabulous.
Nancy D.
on 4/13/04 9:30 pm - Lake Oswego, OR
MY PARENTS ARE THE SAME WAY..."I'LL BELIVE IT WHEN I SEE IT" WELL the PROOF WILL BE IN THE PUDDING OR APPLESAUCE..... WHATEVER i CAN HANDLE......... ALSO A NOTE ON PEOPLE WHO CLAIM THEY KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAD A BAD EXPERIANCE.... OR MUTIPLE PEOPLE WHO DID..... DON'T LISTENT O THEM. A LONG TIME AGO I WAS TOLD IF SOME ONE SAYS "I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD.......FILL IN THE BLANK..... AND IT WAS SOOOOO HORIBLE... OR THAT HOSPITAL SUCKS.... OR WHATEVER. THEY ARE TALKING OUT OF THEIR ASS. THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT THEY CLAIM... THATS WHY THEY USE GENERAL STATEMENTS AND NO NAMES, THEY ARE JUST MAD YOU ARE TAKING STEPS TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE. ITS ALL IGNORANCE... SO I SAY SCREW UM. YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU. GO FOR IT. ITS BETTER TO SAY I TRIED, THAN TO NEVER KNOW YOUR POTENTIAL. GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS, AND BLOW THEM AWAY... YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY POST OP--- NOW YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO DID GREAT!
IrishLady52
on 4/13/04 10:40 pm - Reeds Springs, MO
Dianne, I've had both positive and negative...but have not let it bother me...I try to laugh about it...because I know the facts and they do not... When people have said, "I know someone...and it was not successful" I ask "What's their name?" 9 times out of 10 they can't provide it--why? because the person doesn't exist...go figure. I always say, "Heh, come meet the folks at my support group..there are plenty there who have had success!" and that usually will stop the conversation right there!!!!! HANG IN THERE!!!! Now here's the part where I start singing.... "Accentuate the positive, ....." LOL (HUGS) Debbie R.
DianneW
on 4/14/04 2:47 am - Louisville, KY
Thanks for all the support, it really helps. You are all right. Dianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out