5 days out of surgery!!

Dodie R.
on 4/10/04 2:11 am - North Little Rock, AR
Hi everyone!! Just a note to let you know...... I made it to the loser side!! 5 days out of surgery, 14.5 lbs lost. I am having a problem with regulating my body temp. I have always been extremely hot natured, even as a skinny child. Now it seems I am freezing and burning up at the same time. Have not really been hungry but have had a craving for something salty. I sucked on a couple of tortilla chips which seemed to satisfy that craving. I have to admit, I would love some type of solid food, like maybe some mashed potatoes. The liquid pain medicine the doctor prescribed for me gave me horrible nightmares, so the first night at home, which was Wednesday, April 7th, I got no rest at all. The next day the nurse called in some toradol pills, which is an anti-inflamatory. They work great for any discomfort!! So if any of you find you are having horrific nightmares, please let your doctor know about it, as it could be the medicine you are taking for pain relief. Each day I seem to gain more strength, but really have not felt like going on walks. Hopefully by next week I will be ready to begin walking. Also, feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster right now. Did any of you find yourselfs crying for no apparent reason???? Also, I have found that the carb-solution protein shake mix is pretty good when mixed with 8 oz of skim milk and blended with ice. It is almost like eating a chocolate shake!!! And there are 20 grams of protein in the 2 scoops of mix plus 8 gs of protein in the skim milk. So that is helpful in getting all the protein we need in on the liquid diet. If any of you have some suggestions for me for the next phase of the diet, the soft foods, please let me know!!! God bless you all Dodie lap rny 04-05-04
Janet G.
on 4/10/04 2:43 am - Houston, TX
I had my surgery a day after you and I weight the same as the morning of surgery. We both had lap rny. I was wondering. Did you have excess gas from the surgery? I was told that would affect weight loss the first week, in fact some report actually gaining weight right after surgery. Curious also, how are you getting in toradol pills. I am afraid of taking pills since the pouch is so new. I am supposed to take 3 citracal a day, but can't see how I could get those large pills through. Don't want to find out the hard way that I can't Any advice you can offer is appreciated.
Dodie R.
on 4/10/04 3:09 am - North Little Rock, AR
Hi Janet!! I am taking flintstones chewables. The toradol pills are tiny, so I did not have a problem with them. It seems I have alot of gas all day long, especially right after surgery. Now it only happens about 5 to 10 minutes after getting in my protein. Also, if you have always had a hard time swallowing pills, then cut them into several small bits. Of course being on nothing but liquids right now, is helping to lose alot of weight quickly. Another person posted that if you will be sure to get in your protein, that it does help with losing the weight. I hope this is of some help to you Janet!! Keep me posted to your progress...... Dodie
DianneW
on 4/10/04 3:13 am - Louisville, KY
I take about 20 pills a day and my doctor told me I would be able to take them immediately after surgery, in a small amount of yogurt, however, I have to take each pill 15 minutes apart. They also advised me not to take chewable vitimins, as "they are for kids". It's interesting how different doctors have such different views. I don't have any prep. for my surgery, no food after midnight (yeah). I even get to take me meds. the morning of surgery. Dianne
girlcub
on 4/10/04 3:51 am - Aurora, CO
cetruim has a new chewable for adults- but it is diffently funny how they are different
poppink
on 4/13/04 1:27 pm - owensboro, KY
crush them and put them in yogut
glasscity mom
on 4/10/04 6:31 am - Waterville, OH
Dodie, Congrats on the surgery and weight lose. It sounds like you handled the surgery very well. I don't want to sound like a know it all but how about bullion(sp) for the salt craving? Just a thought. Best wishes. My turn is on Tuesday, the 13th.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views