help for arthritis pain?

judy A.
on 4/10/04 12:04 am - louisville, ky
I am having surgery April 22 and my doctor took me off of my Vioxx.I hurt places I didn't even know I had arthritis. Tylenol is the only thing my doctor saya I can take,it does nothing.Any other options?
petel
on 4/10/04 12:29 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Judy, I have stenosis and have been experiencing a similar problem. One of my doctors told me it is ok to take Celebrex pre-op. My primary told me to go off of it. I suggest you ask your Dr. if Celebrex is ok. I read a couple of artilcles and they say that Celebrex does not effect the blood platelets so it is ok to take. As a last resort, a half of a Vicadin works to help me sleep. Good luck with your surgery and feel better. Pete
DianneW
on 4/10/04 1:01 am - Louisville, KY
Also, I take Glucosamine, Chondrotine with MSN 3 x/day it's a supplement, the Dr. said it's safe to take pre-and post op. Good luck. It's not an immediate pain reliever but a cummulative effect to help rebuild cartilidge, I notice a big difference if I run out. Dianne
Linda W.
on 4/11/04 6:41 am - Jacksonville, FL
Dianne, I take that combination of joint supplement too. You are going to take it immediately post-op? Is yours in pill or capsule form or what? You're not concerned with it hurting your pouch or blocking your opening to the pouch? I love that stuff. I have seen a marked difference in my knee pain since taking it too! Thanks. Linda
Rae Smiles
on 4/10/04 2:06 am - Mount Airy, MD
Hil, I too have problems giving up the pain meds....tylenol doesn't really stop the pain....I have found that long warm/hot baths REALLY help me in addition to listening to my body and now I stop when it wants to stop. I am hoping once some of the weight comes off, my joints will not ache so much. BTW, I was on Vioxx for a while, and it really helped, but I had TERRIBLE stomach problems develop.... good luck....and if you find the magical cure, let us in on it. RAE
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views