Tax Day - Surgery Day

petel
on 4/9/04 8:09 am - San Diego, CA
Hey All, I have my surgrery scheduled for Thursday of next week. My pre-op is on Tuesday. I am reading that people had to change their diet and prepare for a number of days prior to bypass surgery. Is one day enough time? Anyone out their had Dr. Mueller at Sharp? How did it go?
Pattie B.
on 4/9/04 9:16 am - Lake Charles, LA
Hi Pete, Good luck with your surgery! I only had to go the day before on clear liquids. Then of course the first day after surgery clear liquids. Don't go crazy like I did buying stuff for after. I bought Boost and I have yet to finish three cans. Too thick and too sweet for me. I think a few cans of cream soup, some cream of wheat or my preferance...Malt-O-Meal, Jell-O and some Low (or NO) sugar yougurt should hold you over until you can figure out what you want. I sort of cheated and sucked on saltines a few days before I was supposed to. I also made homemade mashed potatoes, really soft and ate the soup over them for a nice filling treat. Make sure you blend your soups, as you don't want any small chucks getting stuck! you Dr. will probably give you a list of stuff to buy and eat. (Sugar-Free Peach Jell-O...yummy!) I also thought that the International Mocha Coffee Sugar-Free was sooooo soothing! Good luck and don't worry, everyone I have met or talked to (over 150 men and women) have told me that they DON"T regret this surgery. One woman told me that even though she threw up every day for two months she would still do the surgery again! I am sure you are doing the right thing! Good luck! Pattie
petel
on 4/9/04 9:26 am - San Diego, CA
Thanks Pattie. I appreciate your advise and words of encouragement.
Jan K.
on 4/9/04 1:45 pm - Aurora, OH
Hi Pete..I live in Ohio and had my pre op yesterday. I have to start a liquid diet 2 days before surgery and take fleet phospho soda and dulcolax on both days. They said you really can't work on the second day (the day before your surgery) you are taking this combo, cause you're in the bathroom most of the time! My surgery is the day before yours..so good luck and speedy recovery!
DianneW
on 4/9/04 11:40 pm - Louisville, KY
Hi Pete, I have the same surgery day as well. I had my pre-op visit. The only prep. I have is no food or drink after midnight. Except I can take my medication the morning of surgery with a small amount of water. My doctor must be very liberal. I'm glad there is no prep. I'll have enough to think about post-op. Dianne
Debra S.
on 4/13/04 1:30 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I have surgery scheduled for tax day as well. My pre-op consists of a clear liquid diet the day before and doing a bowel prep kit as well as taking a antibiotic pill. I am so looking forward to Thursday and being on the losing side of things. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views