I failed the psychologist evaluation! I'm not crazy.....just FAT!

Bryn B.
on 4/7/04 8:38 pm - Austin, TX
I am having my surgery in Dallas but live in Austin. I ask my surgeon to let me take as many test in Austin as possible. One of those test involved seeing a psychologist and I made arrangements through my surgeon's office to see Dr. King in Austin. I have never had any psychological problems, occasional depression termed "event" depression. When I finally divorced my husband, when I moved to a state and city where I knew no one and when I returned to college as an older adult! I took the evaluation which was a 3 hour test on an afternoon when I was suffering from a toothache. I just got four new caps on my four front teeth and my mouth was still in revolt mode! The psychologist chatted benignly at the initial meeting then handed me two booklets and asked me to sit in this stairwell leading to the second floor and take this test with the booklets balanced on my lap. I got warmer and warmer as the test proceeded and fell asleep twice during the test, losing my place and having to reread the numbers and try to figure out if I had marked the right spaces. This is a true/false test. After I finished the office was closed and I left my test at the nurse's station and drove home. Not until the next week while I was in my regular doctor's office in Austin did I receive the news that my surgeon had postponed my surgery. I drove to meet him in Dallas and received the news and the supporting information he gave me from my psychological exam didn't fit the reason for postponing my surgery. I asked for a retest and will take another evaluation with another psychologist in Dallas this Friday and she will determine my fate. If I had had previous psychological problems other than depression I would have understood but I do not understand why the initial psychologist wouldn't approve me for surgery. I do know that he did recommend me for counseling a few sessions before surgery and I honestly think it was a money issue. I think this Austin psychologist saw an opportunity to make some money and took it. I am very disappointed.
Rachelq
on 4/7/04 8:49 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
OMG!!!!! Bryn this just sounds ridiculous!!! I've never heard of a less accomodating situation!!! With hundreds of T/F questions, it is hard to keep your place on the test under the best of cir****tances. I'm sure you got off track somewhere and that resulted a less than favorable psychological profile. I know things will go better with your Dallas appointment. Keep the faith; you are almost there!!! Hugs, Rachel
stephen W.
on 4/8/04 7:37 am - florissant, mo
i took the eval test about a month ago. i sat in a small room answering all those questions, with a man(the psychologist) *****minded me of the nutty professor(lewis,not murphy). the mmpi is designed to make you pay attention, i know this from being a psych nurses for a great number of years. don't let it get you down kid.
rstauz
on 4/8/04 11:32 am - Milwaukee, WI
Don't be too down, you'll do better this next time, knowing what to expect. My psych recommended that I go to Over Eaters Ann. before surgery and then get another eval with a new psych. She thought I would have trouble adjusting to eating less. My eval was faxed to my doctor's office and they are not going to follow her recommendation, LUCKY DAY for me!! I will now have surgery on April 19th. I wish you luck and will say a prayer for you.
sueterry
on 4/8/04 1:31 pm - Union, SC
Bryn, I'm so sorry for you but keep your chin up. Hopefully this next evaluation will be with someone who is more supportive of you and what you are trying to achieve. I lucked out with mine and only had to go thru about a 1 hour interview yesterday. Good Luck Sue
Judy Ann M.
on 4/9/04 8:09 am - Bay Village, OH
Bryn...Your next test will be much better. It sounds like the first one was a complete nightmare with a very unempathetic psychologist. I am so sorry for that experience. You will do much better now that you know what to expect. Get a good nights sleep before and make sure that you feel comfortable for the next test. Hold your chin up high! Let us know how it goes! I am certain you will sail through smoothly!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views