Correcting a (stupid!!!) mistake!

Susan F.
on 4/2/04 10:09 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi all, I want to be as completely honest as I can. I messed up big time. I am diabetic. My surgery is scheduled for 4.6.04. I have been eating all those 'foods I won't eat again' and didn't pay attention to my blood sugar. I had my preop testing yesterday 4.2.04. Everything went smooth. They took my blood and did an ekg. Then I was done. But when I got home, I rcvd a call from the nurse stating that my surgeon requested me to contact my PCP due to my high blood sugar. The nurse wasn't sure if the surgery would be able to stay on track and I won't be able to find out until Monday morning 4.5.04. The one thing I have going for me is that my dr didn't tell me to fast before doing the blood work yesterday so even though my blood sugar was very high, it could have a lot to do with the fact that we grabbed lunch right before the appt because I left work without taking lunch and I was told the tests may take up to 3 hours. Also, I now have this weekend to try and get it back under control and you can better believe I will be eating nothing at all bad this weekend. So if you could pray for me I would appreciate it. This was my last weekend and I was gonna do the 'last supper' kind of thing but now I can't and that is a big emotional let down as I am sure you all can imagine. BUT, I want this surgery so please pray for strength for me to be strong and do what I need to do. Thanks for listening and I hope that I will still be undergoing my surgery on Tuesday. Good luck to you all!
Jennifer H.
on 4/2/04 10:35 pm - Hampton, VA
Susan- try not to beat yourself up. as you said, your doc didn't specify that you be fasting, so that's in your favor. it's also ok to admit you've splurged--even if your diabetic! I don't know if you're having lap or open, but my doc request you be on clear liquids for at least 2 days prior to surgery. This helps make the liver more flexible, which is important in a lap procedure. Hang in there....I have to keep reminding myself that I will be able to eat MOST of my favorites eventually...even if only a bite or two. Beats livin' in the body I got now!!! ((hugs)) You'll do great1 Jennifer RNY 4/28/04
Rachelq
on 4/3/04 12:15 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Definitely don't beat yourself up. I have been eating like I'll never eat again ever since I got my date last month. Good luck with your retests. I am praying that you (and I) can get things under control so that we will have nice, plyable livers for our surgery! Take care, Rachel
louisec
on 4/3/04 4:41 am - Orange County, CA
yeh, you better...no more food PARTING LIKE IT IS 1999 Louise
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out