Protien shakes

Dodie R.
on 3/31/04 9:25 pm - North Little Rock, AR
Can anyone please tell me where and what type of protien shakes or mix to get before my surgery??? The dietian will tell me while I am in the hospital, but I would really like to get some before I have my surgery next monday. Trying to stock some, since we are not allowed to drive for awhile. God bless all!! Dodie
Rachelq
on 3/31/04 10:44 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
hi Dodie, From what I understand, our tastes can really change after surgery. So the advice I have received so far is to try to by samples at first to see what you are going to like. I will send you a web site I came across that sells samples (I ran across it on someone elses post). Also, I understand from my support group that ISOPur is commonly well tolerated post op. They sell that at gnc. It is all protein and mixes with water to make a clear liquid protien drink rather than a thick shake. Hope this helps. Rachel
Kim T.
on 4/1/04 12:22 am - Dracut, MA
i had posted about these protein shakes that my nutritionist suggested.. you order them from online or by phone... but they have 60 grams of protein (you wont find more than that in a protein shake) and i hear they taste good.. i bought one of each kind to try and havent tried them yet. they sell them in resealable pouches so you can use a little powder to make a smaller amt. (they origionally focused this product to bodybuilders, but most recently seems they changed to bariatric patients) worth a peek at least www.protein-solutions.com my nutritionist also suggest the POWDERED form of slimfast w/ soy. they already liquid one has too much sugar. soooo theres a start maybe.. and good luck! ~Kim
Jillybean
on 4/1/04 12:35 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
My surgeon recommends Protien95 from GNC. I use the powedered form, and its 50g protein per 8oz. glass. I mix it with skim milk (which gives me an extra 8g of protein) and I actually like them. I've been on them since the end of January. However, my surgeon told me I may have to switch after surgery if I have trouble handling it. These shakes I'm drinking now are very filling, and heavy on the stomach. He said I might have to switch to something lighter after surgery. He says any kind of whey protein is good.
Kare B.
on 4/1/04 1:35 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you all for the shake info. I was wondering about them also. How you doing Dodie. Were coming around the mountain!! Hugs Karen
Karen S.
on 4/1/04 3:32 am - Island Lake, IL
Walgreens has one that is specially made for WLS. It is made by optisource and it comes in 4 oz. pre-mixed boxes (like jiuce boxes). There is also a vitamin that they carry from the same brand. Unfortunately it is mail or on-line order only. In addition it is a bit pricy. One the plus side, it does have the most amount of protien for 4 oz. The surgeon seemed pleased when I told him I already had ordered it. The vitamins are rather tasty and are chewable. Karen
xflgirl
on 4/1/04 5:38 am - Lantana, FL
Ditto.....Walgreens is online. I have already ordered my shakes they are call Optisource by Resource. You can only get them online. I have tried one already to make sure they were good. The strawberry is good. Also found a protein drink at GNC I think it is called isopure not sure about the taste but I might try to get a sample to try.
andy S.
on 4/1/04 6:28 am
At MCV they had UNJURY--here is the website- http://www.unjury.com/reg/about.shtml They have an 800 number and are located in Reston VA..The reason I liked them is that they have an UNFLAVORED one that you can add to your Crystal Lite powder---they had that one to taste test at the support group that I went to and it was the best of the lot..In fact,you could NOT taste it at all... 20 gram per serving Hope this helps Andy
Cordelia S.
on 4/2/04 1:39 am - Greeley, CO
Thanks Andy, I just ordered a bunch of the stuff. I will let the bariatric program in my town know of it as well, since we only had one option for unflavored protein, and it is not as good and more expensive than the unjury brand. You have helped me a great deal, and I am extremely grateful. Best regards, Cordelia
tbarclay
on 4/1/04 10:19 am - Raleigh, NC
I saw a website that has protein shake samples for $1.00 each which I am finding is a pretty good price. Check them out--I have had great luck with them because their items are shipped really quickly too. www.txwls.com Theresa
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views