Young and Sacred about many things! Please HELP!

Johanna D.
on 3/24/04 7:25 am - Miami, Fl
Hi, as some of you may know I am a 22 year old about to go through this life changing experience. It has already changed my life just starting the process. I started this process only last Friday, March 19,2004 and have already dropped my worst habit yet which is smoking. I Am greatful to have a reason to do that, but it has been very difficult. Also, I went through a sleep study which was the worst experience yet. People whom have gone through these stpes have told me that the sleep study is the worst and that everything else should be smooth sailing, so that pacifies me a bit. Still, I find myself VERY VERY scared!! This has been an overwhelimng experience. Just the thought of putting myself through a surgery is a very big thing for me seeing as though I've never as much had a broken bone. I am very hesistant specially about the anesthesia, I have heard of people dying when they go under. My grandmother takes very long to come out of it and I have no idea what to expect. People keep telling me I am being ridiculous, but I cannot help feeling this way! I know it has to be that you have an alergic reaction, but how iwll you know? That I know of, I am not alergic to anything, but how will I know? Beyond that there are so many other things. I guess I just need support! Anyone that has pacifying words, please share and anyone whom believes in prayer, as I do, PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!!! Thanks!
Jillybean
on 3/24/04 7:51 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
Hi! I actually thought the sleep study was easy. What was so bad about yours? As far as the surgery, I'm nervous, too. I have to know that I'm doing this for the right reasons, and know that I have chosen a very competent surgeon who will do all he can to help me through this. I have to have faith in God, that He has a plan for me, and that this is not my time to go--- I have so much to live for, so much more to accomplish. Its scary not knowing what is going to happen. I've been going through very mixed emotions these past few days. But I know that this surgery is the only thing that can help me at this point. I've done all my research, am active in our support group, and have a good relationship with my surgeon and all of the other doctors who have gotten me this far. I wish I had some words of advice and comfort for you. But the truth is, as my surgery date nears, I'm getting very scared, too. So the best I can offer you is "you're not alone". Hang in there!
Johanna D.
on 3/24/04 8:05 am - Miami, Fl
I sleep on my tummy and could not, I had so many cables it made it impossible to move and I just could not sleep at all!!!! THAT WAS TERRIBLE FOR ME!!! It got to the point I even asked the technician to let me go home! Luckily, he was great and pacified me at what point I got abotu 2 hours of sleep. I hope that was enough, because I truly do not think I can do that again!! Anyway, I do believe that is the force that is driving me, the fact that this surgery was put in God's hamds by many people, so it will be HIS will that will be done. Beyond that, I think my body is just flipping without hte nicotine and that may be my greatest issue! But, I am aware this is the only way out and will be great for me! THanks for your support and it does help greatly to know others like me are out there! God Bless and care for you! Thanks!
RoxanneF
on 3/24/04 8:52 am - Baltimore, MD
Wow. It sounds like we're all going through the same fear. I just posted about my fear of dying. It is a real possibility during any surgery. I've had several surgeries on my abdomon and my surgeon said my chance of compliations are higher than people who've had no prior surgeries. This really made me feel better!!! I know this is the only thing that will save my life and give me a life back. Let's all pray for safe operations and smooth recoveries.
Johanna D.
on 3/25/04 8:18 am - Miami, Fl
I will kindly accept your prayers and do guerantee I will be praing for you as well! God bless!
Jillybean
on 3/26/04 2:45 am - Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, NC
Ahh! Now you just scared the crap out of me! I've had a c-section and an appendectomy. No one ever told me I'd be at a higher risk!
jennyt
on 3/24/04 10:30 am - Athens, AL
Ladies, relax! This is a serious surgery, I know. I just don't want you to wear yourselves out with fear and anxiety before you have your surgery! I also have my concerns. To prepare myself I've researched online, especially at this web site. I've talked to others who've had the surgery. I'm attending support group meetings. I'm reading Carnie Wilson's new book, "I'm Still Hungry", where she talks about her weight loss journey. I've also exercised my faith. A person much wiser than me once told me if you're going to worry, don't pray, and if you're going to pray, don't worry. Either you're going to trust God to take care of this, or you aren't. But ya can't trust God and worry at the same time. That's like saying, "I trust ya God, but I don't trust ya with this one." The bottom line for me is that I've chosen surgery as a tool to live the life I've only dreamed of.
Johanna D.
on 3/25/04 8:28 am - Miami, Fl
Thanks hun! That really helped! You are right! This is in HIS hands and HIS will shall b done! God Bless! You will be in my prayers!
Brandi W.
on 3/24/04 11:49 am - Fort Worth, TX
I think what has helped me to not be scared about this whole situation is the fact that I have remained positive of what's going on and have focused on the outcome. I think about what's going to be and how my life is going to change for the better. I haven't thought about the anesthesia or the percentage of surgeries that may or may not go wrong. Focusing on the negative things that could happen is so much more stressful than focusing on why we are doing this. That would be the only advice that I could share. I will keep you in my prayers! Please keep us posted on your weight loss journey and feel free to reach out to anyone if you have questions or need to talk!
Johanna D.
on 3/25/04 8:31 am - Miami, Fl
Yeah, my mom has been great about htat too! She just keeps telling me "Think Thin"! I think this has been of great help! Like I have in my profile, I have many sources of support adn it has helped! THe outcome is by far the only thing that has kept me going, so, I just have to keep going in that mind frame!
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views