MY DATE WAS APRIL 9TH-- H E L P

Kare B.
on 3/23/04 12:54 pm - Baltimore, MD
SOMEBODY ME!!! I can not believe what happened to me today! I received a call from my doctors office today telling me that they had bad news. Ok I said what's the problem? She said that if I wanted the Lap Procedure that they would have to cancel my surgery for April the 9th. The doctors partner had JUST informed her that he was going away for the holiday!! She said my doctor could do the OPEN procedure but not the Lap without his partner. I have until Thurs. to let her know! If I still wanted the Lap, I would have to wait until the end of August!!:0@ I told her I did not want the open and unfortunatly my insurance runs out at the end of May! This is not fair I am very upset!! I have been waiting for a date since last March. I received my date in January! You mean to tell me that this doctor didn't know about the surgerys scheduled? My doctor only does 1 Lap a week and that's on Fridays only. This doctor knew he was gonna bump someone, if his trip fell on a Friday! But I'm the one that loses because all the dates are filled and they can't bump another patient. No, but they can bump me!! My family rearranged their lives for this date. Vacations were taken at this time so I could have help. They can't change their vacation because this doctor decides he's going away. Sure he can go away but don't you think he should tell someone ahead of time so they won't schedule surgery on those days!!! Somebody help me! I'm freaking. If I wait til August I have to pay for the surgery. It's around $25,000.00. My husband just retired and he lost his Health Ins. and his pension was cut inhalf because his co. went bankrupt. Sorry, I just had to vent! Am I wrong for my feelings. SICK IN BALTIMORE
Rachelq
on 3/23/04 1:14 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Karen, I am so increadibly sorry that you are faced with this news so close to your date. Not to try to sway you in anyway, but; what are your reasons for being against open? I was kind of sitting on the fence between the 2. The idea that open is a bit safer (even if it is minimal) was very appealing to me. The pain part didn't really matter that much (I have a real, "This too shall pass" attitude toward pain). Honestly, my main reason for choosing lap is cosmetic. Right now I could care less about a scar, but I may care after I lose the weight. Of course I understand I will probably need a tummy tuck which will remove a good portion of the open scar. Anyway, you can see I'm still on the fence a bit. If it were me (and I know it is not...) I'd probably go for the open. I wish you the best of luck making your choice. I'm praying for you tonight! Take care, Rachel
Kare B.
on 3/23/04 8:09 pm - Baltimore, MD
Rachel thank you for responding. I really did not want the scar. I'm sorry my balloon has been popped.
Rae Smiles
on 3/23/04 8:10 pm - Mount Airy, MD
Karen, sounds like you got a call that we all dread....canceling or postponing a surgery that we have gotten ourselves ready for....BUT, on the open versus lap. I am self-pay and after considering all my options, I am going with open. My mother had open about 6 months ago, and she said that the pain was there but was not unbearable...also, her scar looks good now..and obviously with more time, the scar will look even better. Only you can make the decision for YOU. Perhaps if you take a deep breath, and then calmly write down the pros & cons of each it will help you make your decision. It really sucks that they waited all this time before letting you know...but at least they are still giving you the option of having surgery, just not LAP. Please keep us posted, sounds like the LAP doctor is a jerk!! I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way. RAE
Kare B.
on 3/23/04 8:18 pm - Baltimore, MD
Sorry, but I'm very sad right now. They need to know by tomorrow and that's not fair!
Angel E.
on 3/23/04 10:38 pm - Calhoun, LA
I am like you...I would be devastated. My surgery date is April 6, 2004. If I was in your place I would go with the open. I look at it like that is the ONLY option. But you have to make the decision that best serves you. Good Luck.
Cynde C.
on 3/23/04 10:52 pm - Westland, MI
Karen, I originally wanted the Lap procedure because I thought it would be easier to heal from. However, I have changed my mind. My surgeon assures me that my time off work will be the same as with a Lap. He also said that it takes longer to do a Lap procedure because of the tight space to work in, so you are under anesthesia for an hour or more longer than with an open surgery. The greatest risk for complications is from the anesthesia, so the less time you are under, the better. So, I am going with the open. I think that, ultimately, its a safer procedure. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to utilize your insurance and go for the open procedure. Besides, think of how much weight you will have lost by the time the August date rolls around! I will pray for you as you make your decision. Best wishes! Cynde
Rachelq
on 3/23/04 11:15 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
And just another risk factor of lap vs. open to add to the other post is that they can't see the other components of your innards as well with lap. So the risk of nicking something by mistake is slightly higher too. I know this must be so hard for you and it is such a personal choice. I am definitley praying that God sends you peace and guidance. (((hugs))) Rachel
diana K.
on 3/23/04 11:28 pm - lakeland, fl
hi, my date is also 4-9-04, and I am going with open b/c of all the reasons stated above, I know this is a personal descision and I wish all the best. Diana
Kare B.
on 3/23/04 11:28 pm - Baltimore, MD
Thank you all for the info, thoughts, hugs and prayers. I'm going to do some gardening and think
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views