Anyone with Fibromyalgia?

Laurie C.
on 3/22/04 10:10 pm - Atlantic Beach, FL
Well, after 4 mos. of pc & insurance company delays - my surgery is scheduled. The wait time has only increased my convictions on having WLS. I have a question - is there anyone with Fibromyalgia out there? My concern is trying to exercise more after surgery and facing the pain. I'm hoping that someone else has faced this obstacle. I would love to hear from you.
Rae Smiles
on 3/22/04 11:19 pm - Mount Airy, MD
yep, got it and also tested positive for Rheum Arth. and lupus....I understand the exercise issue, but I do what I can do...and that does NOT include heavy weights in my hands...my hands are my weakest link so I am extra careful. But slow (gradually build up) walking is very benefical to fibro. and other autoimmune disorders...also, I find that taking a nice walk, even on days that I am hurting, really helps my mind. Also, I find that simple things like running the vacuum and cleaning the shower are great exercise tools...gets the heartbeat up, moves my joints and makes me feel better when I have accomplished something. I do know that I look at exercise differently than folks who do not have autoimmune issues...to me, exercise does NOT have to be accomplished or labeled as exercise...I don't have enough energy or joint mobility for everything...so I pick what I going to do based on need (vaccuuming, cleaning, cooking, playing with my dogs) and ability to raise my heart rate. Laurie, because of your health issue, and talk to your doctor, you may never "work-out" in the gym...but anyone living with an autoimmune disorder knows, some days getting up, showered and dressed is all our joints can take. RAE
Laurie C.
on 3/22/04 11:39 pm - Atlantic Beach, FL
Thanks for the info, Rebecca. My main reasons for the query was how any of us with auto immune diseases handled the muscle strengthening and how they did on weight loss after surgery with so little exercise. Was it very slow? My surgeon requires a pre-op weight loss of 10% of current your weight. It has taken me 4 mos to lose only 25 lbs. on an 800 calorie diet with little exercise. I really have stuck to it fairly well. I am just concerned that the wieght loss will be very slow. I do feel a lot better and do live in Florida and my husband I like to bike ride a lot. Walking is difficult because of bone spurs in both feet. Any additional info will be greatly appreciated. Laurie
katie-mae
on 3/23/04 12:27 am - Albany, NY
Diagnosed with CFIDS/FM in January 1987. WLS was best thing for me and the FM. I'm not saying the exercise is easy to schedule but it IS easier because there's 100-110 pounds less of me (depending on time of month and time of year) to drag around. Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk. And did I say walk??? I can easily "do" 4 miles a day on a walking path, at the mall, YMCA track. I walk 4-6 days a week. Pick up a pedometer ($8.00) at WalMart. You'd be amazed how much walking you can do without having to classify it as exercise. I also recumbent bike for 45 minutes (7-9 miles) 2-4 times a week and alternate upper and lower body weight routines designed by YMCA trainers. Yes. It's hard to exercise with fibro. But you have to in order to stay flexible and functional. I use the Y's whirlpool, take lotsa tub soaks at home (don't forget the body oil after), use charcoal heat patches, and Icy Hot sticks. There are days when I find myself bed-bound. But I don't dwell on 'em. I just get up and get going again as soon as I can!!! Good luck. You not only hafta do this....you can do this.
Rae Smiles
on 3/23/04 5:53 am - Mount Airy, MD
Kathy, what are charcoal heat patches? Inquiring minds.... Also, I didn't mention baths, but for me my bathtub is the best therapy around...I highly recommend it. RAE
katie-mae
on 3/27/04 3:35 am - Albany, NY
Years ago I found these hand warmer things at Walmart. Used by hunters, campers, hikers, etc. They are 2/$1.00. They are small paper pouch things with iron power and other stuff that are activated when exposed to air. I used them, affixing with surgical tape, for relief of pain due to FM or AO. Better than heating pad....for me....because I didn't have to worry about burns. And where I went they went!!! I even slept with them. And I am a redhead with fair skin but I *can* tolderate a great deal of heat before yelling "ouch". They *do* generate a good amount of heat. They're like those pain patch things you see advertised on TV except....but no messy smell. However, my local supermarket (Price Chopper, upstate NY) now carries "Beyond Bodi Heat" patches with the same iron powder ingredients. No stinky methol patches. I've got my last one in front of me. From the info on the packet, they are: -- 5 1/2" x 4" -- self sticking -- heat to 127F/53C -- up to 12 hours of comfort -- works with your own circulation to spread the warmth -- once activated provides heat in minutes I can't read the "manufactured by" coz the print is so darn small and I can't find my magnifying glass. But the UPC code is 2837374982. The best thing is they are sooooo cheap. Wish I could find the box but it's long gone in the tra****hink they were 5 or 6 for $3.99. Because I use them when sleeping, and with FM I'm a very restless sleeper, I *do* add a strip or two of surgical adhesive to keep them in place. I'm hoping they will show up at WalMart sooner or later coz they will be even cheaper!!!
Angela B.
on 3/23/04 5:49 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Hi Laurie~ I do not have it but my friend does. She had the surgery in Nov and had some problems during the first two months (blood thinners made it impossible to take pain relievers) but now she is doing great. She takes a Celebrex every other day and is exercising 4-6x per week. She has lost 86 lbs so far and she looks and feels great. Good luck! Angela RNY scheduled for 04/05/2004
BeckyB1971
on 3/23/04 10:06 am - Manitowoc, WI
I also have it. My surgery is scheduled for April 12th. I can't wait to see if it helps with the pain. Good Luck!!!
angela C.
on 3/23/04 10:27 pm - springdlae, AR
I havent had the surgery but am trying to get everything together for it and I have had fibromyalgia for 5 years. The drs. have told me the best way to excercise is in the water after a surgery like that. Sloww and easy...good luck
Heather C.
on 3/24/04 4:16 am - Knoxville, TN
Hi Laurie, I also have fybromyalgia and Arthritis. My doc said that losing the weight will definatly help my mobility and will help with pain. He said it's not a cure but should help. I'm going to try everything possable to not over do it. I'm in more pain when I exaust myself. If I still need medication after then he said he'll adjust my dose. God Bless Heather Catura
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views