liquid diet anyone?

Leslie M.
on 3/18/04 2:58 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 04/05/04 with
Just wondering if everyone was told they needed to go on a clear liquid diet BEFORE surgery? or if it was just me ... my surgeon said it would help reduce the size of my stomach to the correct size to optimize the outcome and prevent bleeding of the liver? has anyone else been told this? just curious !!!
Donna P.
on 3/18/04 9:10 am - Carterville, IL
Leslie, that is kinda crappy that they didn't tell you that. My Dr. said nothing for the first 3 days, clear liquids x 1wk, full liquids x 2 weeks and then solids. I think everybody tells you something different though. I'd sure thank the Doc for not telling you ahead of time. My date is April 15th and I'm soooooooexcited!!!!! Good Luck!
katharinetorosian
on 3/18/04 11:08 am - Attleboro Falls, MA
I am pre-op for April 6th. My surgeon also requires a clear liquid diet the day before..but that is also the day they do the bowel prep. If we don't have empty bowels..we are at a higher risk of getting a serious life threatening infection known as peritonitis. I say stick with the clear liquids, do exactly as your surgeon says. It sucks but its a very small sacrifice to get to the other side :D Katharine
Erica W.
on 3/18/04 12:01 pm - Las Vegas, NV
My docter told me that i have to do a clear diet too the day befor. So lets do it for our health.
Karen Z.
on 3/19/04 7:22 am - Gretna, LA
I have read other surgeons requesting patients do special dieting 3 weeks before surgery. My surgeon just said start cutting back solid foods a few days before surgery and clear liquids the day before. The bowl prep will go much better the less you've eaten and safer for surgery. Karen Open Rxy Sch'd Apr 2 04
Leslie M.
on 3/19/04 7:56 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 04/05/04 with
what is the bowl prep? I was told that i just needed to do a mild laxative? is there something else i should be doing?
mscspr3
on 3/19/04 10:12 am - Fairborn, OH
I asked my doctor if I had to do anything special (liquids, laxitives) and he said I can just eat normal but not to eat like it's my last meal the way a lot of people do before surgery. Should I be concerned about the chance of infection?? I'm on a liquid diet for a month after my surgery. Anything to lose the weight and keep it off. Thanks, Michelle
Rae Smiles
on 3/19/04 10:19 am - Mount Airy, MD
I am interested in the bowel prep....I have never had any procedures that required it, so I am unsure of the unknown. Also, it appears that almost every doc doesn't it slightly different. Do most doc's require a laxative and an enema? or just a laxative? I understand the clear liquids the day before, but howl long does the bowel prep take? Should I "clear my calender" the day before surgery? thanks RAE
jennyt
on 3/19/04 12:19 pm - Athens, AL
I'm having surgery April 1st. My surgeon told me to buy two bottles of magnesium citrate and drink both starting at 2pm the day before my surgery. Then I'm to have nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I was also told to have 'em bery cold and chug 'em to avoid nausea.
Cuffytar
on 3/20/04 10:31 am - Norwalk, CT
Hi Leslie, My surgery will be April 27 in Norwalk Ct, and my doctor requires 1000 calorie diet 2 weeks before surgery and the 2 days prior to surgery must be clear liquids. You're certainly not alone. Seems like each surgeon does it differently. Just remember, this will all make it easier for our trusted surgeon to do his job with no complications. Good luck to you and remember we're all in a similar boat. Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 498 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 762 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 698 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 777 views