Does anyones stomach just growl all the time?

bananajana5
on 4/24/06 1:20 pm - Jackson, TN
My surgery was March 13th and I don't seem to be eating like everyone else is...today I had 1/2 atkins protein bar 3 sf popsicles 1 saltine cracker 1 oz homemade chili ( no meat) water, water, water My stomach is just hungry all the time!! tonight it is just making lots of noise...I think I am scared to try any other food...the Dr said I could try anything within reason as of today...but I am scared...I have lost 54 pounds so far...what should I eat???
jennb40
on 4/24/06 10:10 pm - Nashua, NH
It seems like from what you are eating, you need to add some major protein. Try some pinto beans and cheese from Taco Bell...it has 10 grams of protein and is very gentle on your new pouch and only 1/2 cup- makes a good meal! I tried crumbled up hamburger added with no sugar tomatoe sauce and fat free refried beans and a little melted cheese and that was yummy. Also, baked or broiled haddock, crushed and flaked with your fork was very gentle on my pouch. Wendy's chili (small one - probably 1/2 of that) was easy going down also. Another tried and true by most everyone is tuna mixed with low fat mayo and maybe a little hard boiled egg added in. (you may want to save the egg for another time until you feel better about your pouch)! The protein will give you energy...you will still have a growling tummy, but probably not as bad if you get in more protein. Just a few suggestions...good luck! Barbara
Lauren003
on 4/25/06 12:03 am - , NC
We all had surgery the same day! Egg salad sits with me well and doesn't make me feel as uncomfortably full as scrambled egg, baked fish, ricotta w/ mozzarella and sauce, canned bean soups are tasty and easy on the pouchie too. My doc has me on 2-3 ounces for 3 meals and a snack if I feel the need, after the 2 protein drinks. 54 lbs is great!!
sngglnclos
on 4/25/06 12:39 am - sw burbs, MN
hi Jana It sounds like you aren't getting enough food in at all. I agree with the others, you need more protien! I dont' know what your program allows, but Milk is on ours and its great because you get like 8 gms of protien plus the liquids. we do 3 glasses a milk aday as our snack. Right there is 24 grams of protien, this is especially good when you aren't getting in enough food. We don't have bars or protien shakes on our plan, however we can add protien to our milk or drinks. try cheese sticks, cottage cheese, malt o meal, yougart...bare nakid granola..12 gms protien in 1/2 cup...I haven't tried this yet but I am going to soon! There are many yummy fat free beans, i add shredded cheese and low fat sour cream to mine. I love the hormel turkey chili with cheese added. LOTS of protien. Protien will fill you up and help keep you feeling full longer. Save the popsiscles for a treat. Have you tried tuna? egg salad? those you can do on crackers. Soy Crisps have tons of different flavors and are great when you need a crunch...i use them to dip in peanut butter when I'm craving something sweet...or use 1/4 of a banana to eat with your peanut butter...tons of protien. I have also tried salamon and talipa (spelling??) oh and crab..wonderful... you can take low fat cream cheese, ****tail sauce and crab meat..eat it with a spoon or a couple of soy crisps...crackers...there are so many ways to vary things...post something adn i'm sure someone will come up with a way for you to try it!! Just listen to your tummy
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/25/06 1:59 am - My Town, NH
Hi Jana. I recommend that you check out the daily "What did you eat" posts that Darlene posts for us everyday. You will often find great ideas in those posts for things to try. I get tons of ideas each day. Also, it's a great way to review what I've eaten for the day. If your stomach is hungry, feed her! It is a litte scary at first, but you will find that trial and error with different foods is the way to go. Good luck! - Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/06 3:35 am - AZ
Hi Jana, My first suggestion is to contact the nutrionist with your program. If you don't have a "nut" I would contact your surgeon's office. They should be able to provide some printed materials with some guidelines for you. At a minimum they should be able to give you some suggestions and tell you how many grams of protein and calories you should be eating every day. Good luck! Elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views