Calories/amt of food

Jen W.
on 4/23/06 8:44 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi All, My first time posting in this forum. I had surgery 3/6/06. I like this forum because 1) we all had surgery around the same time and 2) I get to see what other people from around the country instead of just in my program are doing. I've been lurking for about a week now and I must say that I am overwhelmed with the amount of calories that everyone who posts is able to get in on any given day. I am usually only around 300 or so. My surgeon/nut follows the "strict" version of the WLS menu. So, officially I am still on mashed foods, even though I've been trying new things not officially on that menu. I graduate to soft next week which adds a few more things at 2 months post op. First - how many cals should I be getting in? Do most of you get them from your protein shakes? I'm not technically supposed to be having protein shakes (program highly discourages it), but may need to start as I am only avergaing between 25-32 grams of protein a day and nut wants me at 47. I don't seem to eat enough most days, but I do o.k. with water. Yesterday I was finally able to eat about 2-3 ounces of rotisserie chicken (no skin) and a tablespoon of beans at a meal and today I ate most of a south beach diet wrap (about 12 grams protein and 120 cals). I haven't tried fruits other than a bit of a banana and no raw veggies yet. Guess I'm just concerned that I am not getting enough food in or is this normal??
Jen W.
on 4/23/06 8:55 am - Minneapolis, MN
Oh! I forgot to mention -- according to the nut I should not be snacking. They discourage even healthy, lo-call snacking so I'm usually eating 3 times per day....I was surprised to see so many people on here snacking.
BabyRuth2u
on 4/23/06 10:33 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Half of my calories are pretty much my protein shakes. I haven't check calorie count the past two days, but the days I was I had high 300's one day, about 567 I think on another. Two shakes a day is 120 cals each, so that is almost half. I'm not sure exactly how many calories, I think it is suppose to be between 500-600. I think some days I get more in other days less. Some days I can seem to eat a little more, other days it just doesnt interest me much or feels like after a bite or two I'm full. I just make sure I take all my vitamins and do my protein shakes.
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/23/06 10:39 am - My Town, NH
Hi Jen. Welcome and we're glad you posted. This is such a tough question. Every nutritionist and bariatric program is so different. I just had my one month follow-up appointment (a week or so late) this past Thursday. My nutritionist indicated that I should be consuming 600 to 700 calories a day. She was pleased with my protein intake but not pleased with my carb intake. Her instructions were to cut back on my protein and increase my carbs. I couldn't believe she wanted me to eat more carbs! I had surgery one day after you did. I've eaten many different foods including salad in the last few days (just a little bit of lettuce, cucumbers, mushrooms and tomatoes). Tonight, just as an example, I ate 1/4 cup of sweet potato, 1/4 cup of salad and 3 ounces of sirloin tips. That seems like a lot to me, but my calories are in the right range for the day. I am fully able to get my protein from food, but choose to have a protein drink during the week for breakfast mainly for convenience. I don't know if one way is better than another. I guess we just have to do what our professionals suggest unless it seems inaccurate. I do feel that sometimes we need to listen to ourselves and take into account all of the research that we have done. For instance, my nutritionist said to cut back on the protein. She thought I was getting too much. But in all of my reading on this board and elsewhere, those *****ach goal and are most successful consume between 80 and 100 grams of protein each day. So while I understand that she wants me to consume more carbs, I also think that I need to continue to give my body its best chance to reach my goal weight. So I will add more fruit to my daily diet which will increase my carbs (good carbs!). But, I may continue to consume 70 to 80 grams of protein as well. Goodness, someone stop me from rambling!!! I am not sure that this was helpful in any way, but I thought I would share my experiences. Best of luck! - Stephanie
Darlene X
on 4/23/06 11:45 am - Maricopa, AZ
Every program is different--- you need to do what your surgeon/nutritionist tells you--- even if it's not the same as others here. Im probably getting about 400-500 calories a day from food alone. I can't stomach protein shakes, I HATE them, Ive tried everything... ICK. I try to get some South Beach Diet protein bar in most days to boost me a little. I know Im not getting enough protein, I have my 2nd follow up appt next month. The aim is to get to around 1000-1200 calories about 3 months out for my program, and about 50-70g protein. I can normally get about 40-50g in. Tuesday, my 5 weeks-- Im allowed to move to regular foods. I can eat anything I want (Within reason of course LOL) Don't wprry about what others are doing... if your following your surgeons plan, then your doing good. Darlene
timsdanni
on 4/23/06 11:51 am - Ft Stewart, GA
Jen I drink a triple protien shake made with 12 oz of milk and 8 of water spread out over the whole day. there is NO WAY I could hit the 100 grams my nut wants with out it!! my doc is also agianst snacking but when I asked he told me to do what the nut says. the nut says that snacking is ok as long as it is premesured/logged on my food chart. I can literally only eat one ounce of meat at a time ( I am 6 weeks out) with out getting I can eat half an egg at the time. if I had to get all my protien from food I would eat all day long and never get any water in. I get 75 grams of my protien from my protien shake and 25-35 from food and that is good for me. I found that as long as people are still logging their food even years out from surgery they are eating all day long b/c THEY STILL EAT SMALL AMOUNTS to me that is like duh! that is why we had surgery. I know we are to follow our docs directions but USE YOUR COMMON SENSE TOO. ok I am rambling too LOL glad you posted. glad you are jioning us on this journey Danni 372/324/170
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 748 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views