Drinking with meals....

KerryP
on 4/18/06 12:55 am - MA
I've heard this time and time again that you shouldn't drink with meals. One reason is because you're not getting the full advantage of the food and the other one is that it fills you up quicker. I always have a few sips of water with my food. It makes it go down easier. Even if things are completely pureed. I eat less of it at the time but it takes me longer to eat a meal. For example...I just cooked a 5oz catfish. I ate 1/2 of it and drank some water. I can feel the food in my pouch but it's not a pressing feeling. I feel full. I'll keep on taking sips of water until I feel hungry again. When I feel hungry, I'll finish the other half. And then keep drinking water until it's time for a protein shake. Is that wrong?
Darlene X
on 4/18/06 1:21 am - Maricopa, AZ
Kind of a bad habit to get into... later when you can eat more, if your drinking to make yourself not feel full so you can eat more, your gonna be consuming way more calories and countering the effects of the surgery. The whole purpose is for us to feel full in smaller amounts of food.... Eating 3oz of food to feel full, rather than 20oz or so before.... if your washing your food down your completely defeating this purpose. I read a post from a women on the main board, maybe 6 months ago... she was talking about how she was gaining some weigth back and could eat far too much food. She admitted she was drinking with meals. She made a resolution later, and posted that she stopped drinking with meals, and found she could eat 1/4 of what she was eating previously. I thought it would be hard, but really Ive found waiting 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after has been easy... The surgeons tell us to do this for a reason, it's not just to torture you.... I know many people do decide to ignore this and drink with meals, its really your choice.... BUT if somewhere down the road you happen to start questioning why something isnt working for you, or why you can eat so much.... Sorry to be blunt...
missandreab
on 4/18/06 2:12 am - Cornwall, Canada
The water will flush the food through your system even faster meaning even less nutrients will be absorbed..I figure the surgeons know what they are talking about so follow the directions to a T. That way you can be sure to stay as healthy as possible and loose at the same time. Andrea
KerryP
on 4/18/06 4:14 am - MA
I completely agree with my dr.s and ya'll. But even if I'm eating a little bit I hate the feeling of it left over in my mouth. I guess it's going to be an uphill battle to break this habbit. Thanks!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views