I'm a new Marcher and have some Questions...

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/06 2:24 am - Baltimore, MD
Hello to you all! I have read several of the post for weeks now and decided I needed to jump in and get involved. Thanks to all of you for your post as I've learned so much from them. I am 32 and had a lap-RNY on March 31st (just made it to the Marchers!) So far I'm doing OK, but like some of you am having some problems getting all of my protein in. Not sure if any of you have tried the pre-mixed EAS Advant shakes (can get them from Wal-Mart and Sam's) but they are pretty good and convenient. They are 100 calories and 15 g of protein (1g net carbs). Also good for those of you who may be lactose intolerant like I am! Although I am not a chocolate fan, I prefer the chocolate flavor over the vanilla and strawberry. They test pretty good frozen as well. Do any of you know of a protein powder / drink that works well with lactose intolerance? I also have some questions about incision pain / discomfort. For the most part my recovery has been pretty typical, some good days / some bad. I am feeling stronger and stronger every day and plan on going back to work tomorrow. My question is - Do any of you who are just 2-3 weeks out still have any discomfort with your incisions? Mine are still a little uncomfortable and I just wondered if that was normal. I still have the discomfort in the bed, especially if I lay on my sides, when I get up and down from chairs, bed, sofa, etc. It's not pain, but pressure and discomfort. Any of you experience that still? Very nice to finally e-meet you all and I look forward to staying in touch! Monica
Rilabie_Chime
on 4/17/06 3:03 am - Littlerock, CA
Hi Ms. Moni and welcome. Glad to hear your doing fairly well. I too have some discomfort in my incision sites and like you am occasionally uncomfortable when I lay on my sides. I will lightly rub my incision sites, but I try to leave them alone, I'm sure they're just healing. About a week ago I kind of laid on my stomach watching a few TV tidbits with my room mate and felt like I had moved something out of place, but that passed too (although I have not been in a hurry to try to lay on my stomach again). I find if I slowly stretch or move around a little the "pain" when laying on my sides decreases. I am still getting rid of the last of my external bruising, so I can only imagine what is going on "inside" of us. Lot's of healing, I'm sure it's the reason we are not completely released for all forms of exercise and heavy lifting until about 6 weeks post op.
Darlene X
on 4/17/06 4:57 am - Maricopa, AZ
Regarding pain.... At about 2 weeks out I was feeling pretty good, not much pain... Week 3 it got worse, very sharp stabbing pains in the main incision... uncomfortable, but nothing requiring any pain med's.... this lasted for a week or so... Ive been told it's because the muscle there is now healing and retracting so you get those sharp pains... This weekend it suddenly stopped, and now at almost 4 weeks out Im completely pain free.... I feel the same as before surgery.
Sheri D.
on 4/17/06 6:03 am - On the edge of, SD
I had the same experience as Darlene did. Felt pretty good until about week 3 and then had the stabbing pains on my lower left side. Lasted about a week, and have since disappeared. I am out 5 weeks tomorrow and am feeling well.
headparrot
on 4/17/06 6:27 am - Ponca City, OK
Hey Sheri, I saw you were from Yankton. I am a fellow Marcher and a 1987 Mount Marty Grad, now living in Oklahoma. I enjoyed my time in Yankton very much, and in fact, maybe too much, as that is where I gained much of my weight, spending too much time at Muggsy's, Little King, Godfathers and my favorite, Charlie's Pizza.....oh how I miss Charlies Pizza. Anyway, hope you are doing well.
Nadine O.
on 4/17/06 6:35 am - Baltimore, MD
I've been using soy milk since having surgery. It's really good for people who are lactose intolerant. Nadine O.
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/17/06 10:11 am - My Town, NH
Moncia, welcome and I'm so glad you posted! I experienced the discomfort you mention for a few weeks after surgery. Especially when getting up or sitting down on things. It did finally go away and at this point I am pain free (thankfully!). I look forward to getting to know you better! - Stephanie
Katie M.
on 4/18/06 1:48 am - East Petersburg, PA
Hi Monica, Hope you're doing well today. I have had the same discomfort with incisions as well, particularly the place where my drain was. I was't sure whether to keep it covered or let it dry out and scab over?! I went to my family doctor yesterday and he put a new kind of dressing on it called "Exudern RCD/hydrocolloid wound dressing" he said they are expensive, but worth it. They dissolve with the "drainage" you have coming out and form a blister of "healing gunk" and help with the pain. If you have any that are still leaking you might want to ask your doctor about them. (You leave them on for a few days, they're waterproof, you can still shower.) I think mine feels so much better with it on. (it was right where the waistband of my pants fall, too.) Hope you're feeling better, we'll be back to "normal" soon. Hugs, Katie
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/06 2:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you all for your suggestions and experience w/ the pain. Now at least I know I'm not alone with the discomfort. Hope everyone is having a great day and I'll talk to ya soon! Monica
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views