Dumping and Easter Dinner

MsKeara
on 4/16/06 5:50 am - Baldwin, WI
I just wanted to ask a question about dumping. My husband is trying to be very supportive of me and this surgery. He has "premixed" all of my juices 1/2 with water so I can just grab it and go. This morning I asked my mom to pour me some juice while I finished getting my boys dressed. I started drinking the juice at the table downstairs. I started feeling weird and went upstairs. Halfway up, I got super dizzy. I was disoriented and my stomach felt like it was going to erupt. I'm really not to sure what happened next. It lasted for about 20-30 minutes by my best guess. I was very weak and had a mild tingle in my shoulders. I asked my mom which juice she gave me and it turns out that she gave me the kids juice. Regular old full strength apple juice . Not the healthy choice (reduced sugar) watered down stuff I've been having since the day after surgery. I didn't get the poops but my stomach was very upset. Was this dumping? Lord knows I don't want to do it again. Also, I was worried about how I was going to get through Easter dinner. My family puts a major emphasis on food and the dinner spread was wonderful. Funny thing happened when I sat down at the table. I was watching everyone eat and the food I loved so much in the past didn't look very good. I watched my mom and step dad go the full course and follow up with dessert. I got queasy watching them. I don't know if it had to do with what happened earlier or if I just have a new outlook on food. I did have stuffing with a ton of gravy (I'm supposed to be on full liquids). I had 1/3 cup and took about 30 minutes to eat it. It seems to be doing okay right now. It hasn't come back up and I don't feel like it will. How did everyone else fair today? MsKeara P.S. It took me a while to finish this post. I got the poops in the end... (no pun intended).
BabyRuth2u
on 4/16/06 9:02 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Ms Keara, I haven't dumped so can't speak from experience, but it does sound like that may have been what happened. It surely was something obviously. Funny how something that seems so simple could be so awful, just drinking regular juice! Sorry to hear your day started off badly. I can relate to you about food not being appealing. It is funny how stuff we would have loved before or eaten without thought, we now dont give it much thought. It doesnt bug me one bit if someone is eating a dessert or something else I may have liked. I kind of think though that this is a temporary thing since we are so new out. But later down the line we will proably want it. LOL For my dinner today I had a nibble of ham and roast beef. Ate about, maybe 1 oz of lamb. That was so good! Had 1/2 of a deviled egg, 1/4 cup broccli/cauliflower mix with melted cheese. I really enjoyed those. I love veggies! I'd eat just those all the time if I could, but PROTEIN first! There was lots of good foods there. Kind of wished I could have had a piece of the manicotti, that did look good! But I'm home now, just had my evening vitamins and soon will do a protein shake. I'm just not getting enough protein in food wise yet. Wonder if anyone else really is? How are they doing it? Hope the rest of your day has been going great! Enjoy the evening!
Beckers
on 4/16/06 11:01 am - Cottage Grove, OR
Ruth Ann- There is no way we could get our daily protein needs (60-70 grams of protein) from food alone (right now). We just can't eat that much. No one is, so don't worry You're not alone. We are supposed to be drinking protein drinks/shakes throughout the day, in between our little meals. I hope you are drinking plenty of protein, and water... MsKeara- I'm surprised you didn't get sick from the stuffing and gravy! WOW! That is so bready/starchy... I would think that would have got ya! But I'm glad you were able to get it down without sickness, and I'm sorry that apple juice got you earlier. It sounds like dumping to me, dizziness, disorientated, etc... No fun! I've not experienced it yet, but it sounds scary Rebecca M. 269/234/150
Heather_O
on 4/17/06 6:59 am - WI
Sorry to hear about your dumping episode although I'm happy to hear you were able to to enjoy Easter I have to agree abou****ching others eat now it makes me sick as well. Its amazing how much we used to be able to stuff away now I would just be happy with a little nibble. Heather 316/239/140
timsdanni
on 4/17/06 7:21 am - Ft Stewart, GA
sounds like dumping to me I am on reg foods for easter dinner I grabbed 2 saucers and replaced the big plates for me and my 3yo than as I served his plate I took about 1 t of mashed pot and put them on my plate, took about 1 t of filling off his deviled egg and put it on my plate and cut about one ounce of grilled pork chop and cut it tiny for me I also tryed one small slice of fresh mushroom. not a lot of food for sure - I can handle less than 1/4 of a cup of food at the time but I made it though my first big family meal since surgery but I was so PROUD of me for eating a big family meal and not over eating!!! so was my dh who had a 10 hour drive home with me right afterwards LOL Danni 372/327/170
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views