Am I being realistic?

heychickee
on 4/13/06 7:00 am - Kyle, TX
Since all you March peeps have been there, I was wondering if it is realistic to return to work in 2 weeks? I know this depends on if you have any complications, etc. and how everyone is different. But I guess I am just wondering was there anybody out there that was able to do it? I am only getting paid for 2 weeks of leave, so to be off more would really hurt financially. Just curious. Thanks guys!
Sandra S.
on 4/13/06 7:15 am - Mountain Home, ID
Hey Chickee! I certainly could have gone back to work this past Monday, but I was fortunate enough to have a boss that would pay me for the 3 weeks my doc wanted me to take off. I had the Lap RNY. I also had my gall bladder out 20 days prior to my WLS! I only had to take 3 days off for that because I had it scheduled for a Wednesday and so was able to have the weekend for recovery. That was a piece of cake compared to WLS! LOL Anyway, I hope you recover quickly, because I know exactly how it is when you know you're not getting paid while sitting at home! Just make sure you do everything your surgeon tells you to do and it may be possible to go back after 2 weeks. good luck! Sandy
sparkles
on 4/13/06 7:17 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I had lap Rny and went back at 2 weeks. I work in a call center and have a desk job... I've been fine. My boss is understanding, and makes sure I'm getting all of my nutrients in! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
headparrot
on 4/13/06 7:31 am - Ponca City, OK
I've got a desk job and spend the day on a computer, so you have to take that into account. That being said, my surgery was on a wednesday. I was back to work the following wednesday one week after surgery. I didn't have any problems. Oh, I also forgot to mention that I am probably the toughest guy I know...lol.
raiders5051
on 4/13/06 7:37 am - Rio Rancho, NM
think it's up to you on how you feel and what doc say's, i was moving furniture around the house 2wk's post op,doc released me back to work on 4/10,but i could have went back sooner,good thing to income tax is almost gome
RebekaA
on 4/13/06 8:21 am - Inland Empire, CA
You should be ok. I felt a little tired at first, but not too bad, I could've gone back in 2 weeks if I needed to. And by week 3 I felt totally back to normal. GL
kimbaby74
on 4/13/06 8:27 am - Western, KY
I was going to go back to work after one week, but I had gotten an infection where my drain was and got dehydrated, so I had to go back into the hospital for a few days. But on my two weeks out date, I was back at work. I have a mostly desk job, and I was so tired when I got home from work, but I went to work anyway.
ccb718
on 4/14/06 1:36 am - Fayetteville, NC
I'm planning on going back to work next week, so I've had a little more than two weeks. I've not felt like I've been ready really so that's good. I'm a hospice nurse, traveling most of the day to see my patients so not sure how I'm gonna get everything in from seeing pt's and taking care of me. My boss is letting me return to work slowly (part time the 1st week to see how it goes so that's nice). Depending on what kind of job you do, I'm sure you'll do fine...just take care of yourself first.
Rilabie_Chime
on 4/14/06 2:07 am - Littlerock, CA
2 weeks would have put me back at work this last Monday. I'm glad I didn't go though as I was feeling quite blaahh, wasn't doing too good with some of my foods. I'm lucky enough to have a great boss that is letting me come back as I see fit. I'm planning on taking another 2 weeks off, just to let everything settle and feel more comfortable with my food intake. I'm also planning to go back on a Thursday, so I don't have a full week to put in, let myself rest for a weekend then back full time. I think if I had to I could have gone back in 2 weeks having a desk job and all, but I have the opportnity and the means to stay out a little longer, so I will take advantage of it and take care of me. BTW, does your State have a disability program? Mine does, so I will be getting paid a % of my income from them for the 1st 2 weeks and will talk to my Dr. about extending it for 1 more week due to my difficulty with the food, I don't expect them to pay for the additional week and a half after that though as it is my personal choice to take that extra time off. Ingrid
susieQ227
on 4/14/06 11:47 am - Allison, PA
I had my lap rny on March 2 and returned to work on March 9. I have a desk job but sometimes have to lug around computer equpment. Dr said not to lift anything heavy so I didn't and got along fine except for being tired at the end of the day. I also had a great friend who kept me going. I couldn't imagine not going back to work for two weeks. But like you said everyone is different.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views