2.5 weeks post op

sparkles
on 4/12/06 12:59 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
So, I had my surgery on 3/27/06. I've lost over 25lbs so far and everything is going well.... errr.. well kinda. I'm dealing with some serious head hunger and other emotional issues. I see and smell foods I LOVE, and cry because they are no longer my friends. My surgeon has me on full liquids for a whole month, then a whole month of "mushy" foods before I can go to "normalcy". I still have 15 days until I can eat mushy foods... and I'm DYING! All I've been eating is cottage cheese, NSA applesauce and SF Jello! I've tried soups, YUCK! Anyone have an liquid suggestions for poor old me... I'd put a piece of pizza in the blender and puree.... If I thought i could.. LMAO!
thecjones
on 4/12/06 1:16 pm - Carrollton, TX
Congratulations One Life And Its Mine! Hang in there I am on liquids for another week. I have found that campbell's has a great selection of soups that you can eat. I would go to Walmart or a Kroger to find a better variety. I am tired of soup myself but I know it is for the best. Hang in there and you will be to the next stage before you know it. Chaye
RebekaA
on 4/12/06 1:27 pm - Inland Empire, CA
I'm so sorry, I went thru that too, but one month on liquids is bound to mess with anyone! My hat's off to you! I only had to do liquids for one week and it was hard....The good news is I was fine once I got my first bite of something more substantial--and then once I had it I was like--ok, I'm over it and the cravings went away. I think I just missed chewing! Sorry I don't have liquid suggestions for you, I mostly just did shakes. Just keep reminding yourself YOU'VE LOST 25#'s and you're only beginning! That's amazing! I only lost 10, my first 2 weeks, so you're doing great. Are your protein levels up? I find when I start craving and thinking a lot about food that it's b/c I'm low, so I add another shake and I'm good. Are you keeping busy? Try and do things to take your mind off it. I hear you about feeling sad though, I drive by restaurants and my mouth waters, mostly i miss the social aspect of eating too. We've been to BBQ's and I have to busy myself while everyone eats. I can't go out w/my friends yet. My dh and I can't share meals anymore. It's all just part of the adjustment though. I just think about what I'm getting in return--a whole new lease on life and my control back. Just remember, this isn't forever, it's just for now. Take care and continued success to you! Rebeka
Lisa M.
on 4/12/06 10:07 pm - LaGrange, NC
I was on liquid for 3 weeks and about went crazy myself! I did eat some soft foods in the last week. Once I did that the obsession I had with food seemed to ease off. Now my head hunger is at a minimum and believe me...food and I WERE best friends...now I have discovered it was really my ENEMY. Look at the shape we are in and we discover that. A few suggestions that you may already be trying..... Sugar Free Popsicles SUgar Free Gum (to be able to chew) High protein Sugar Free low fat yogurt Cheese Grits (Or oatmeal) I know it is tough and got to the point where the protein shakes made me sick!!! Hope it passes by a little faster for you.
bettyc
on 4/12/06 11:20 pm - Covington, LA
When I was on full liquids I hated broth because it was soooo salty. Get a small Wendy's Chili and put it in the blender. It makes a slightly thick soup and has flavor. Be strong and positive--bj
Nadine O.
on 4/13/06 1:03 am - Baltimore, MD
Congrats on the weight loss I feel for you. I only had to be on liquids for 1 week post-op. It's important that you follow the Dr's instructions. Hang in there you can do it. Just think 25 lbs already. That's great!!! Nadine O.
headparrot
on 4/13/06 1:13 am - Ponca City, OK
Have you tried those Campbell Select soups that come in a box? I really like the Goldne Butternut squash and the mushroom one. Low Fat and pretty filling.
MsKeara
on 4/13/06 2:27 am - Baldwin, WI
Hi There! My surgery was the day after yours and I too have a month of liquids. I know you said soups don't work for you, but I've been having the progressive soups. ANY one that I want. Just pop it in the blender and there you go. It's about as close to "real" food as we are going to get for the next few weeks. I did run into a wall a few days ago and decided I didn't want to eat anything. I'm getting over that now and the soups sure do taste good. Outside of that, I know a lot of folks use the carnation instant breakfast (SF) and they seem to like those. I actually have not tried the cottage cheese, but I think I'll have to do that today. NSA applesauce and SF jello are out friends. We may never eat them again after the end of this month, but for now... they are our most beloved buddy. Hang in there. I'm right there with you! MsKeara
CherieG
on 4/13/06 5:38 am - Collingdale, PA
I just had my surgery on 3/29 and had 1 week clear liquids and 2 weeks full liquids. I made it this far, but yesterday I hit the point where I just needed to find something else. It was suggested to me to make mashed potatoes using the flakes and just double all the liquids. Also cream of wheat made the same way. Good luck. Cherie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views