Girls-- Birth Control.

Darlene X
on 4/11/06 7:26 am - Maricopa, AZ
So what are you girls all doing? I went and saw my OBGYN last week and got the Nuva Ring. Ive heard lots of people like it. My surgeon said the pill was ok, but after meeting quite a few women on the pregnancy board who were also told the same thing, I decided against it for now LOL. I have PCOS, rarely have periods, so my OBGYN gave me a shot of progestrone on Friday to bring on a period so I could start the Nuva ring... She appeared today, blahhhh, probably part of the reason Im stalling right now. So anyway Im just curious what everyone is doing. Darlene 338/301/170
timsdanni
on 4/11/06 7:32 am - Ft Stewart, GA
OK give with detials on bc pills not working???? that is what my surgoen recomended - and I am NOT healthy enough to get pg and am not giving up lovings for the next year or so I was always told that being over wieght made things like the ring/iuds hard to fit and if you lose wieght they get less effective unless you go and get them refited I have pcos too but have the opiset issue LOTs of peroids when I am off the pill like every 3 weeks for 7-9 days - the pill has been a blessing to me so please share about it NOT working Danni the sligly freaked out but heading ot curves anyhow LOL 372/328/170
Darlene X
on 4/11/06 7:53 am - Maricopa, AZ
I have a lot of mixed messages about the pill. I asked my surgeon and he said it was ok... BUT I started asking around, and talking to women on the pregnancy board and got a few too many stories of women who were also told the pill was ok, getting pregnant early out. It works for some, not for others. There were enough people with stories of getting pregnant while on the pill to make me decide against it--- despite me REALLY wanting a baby (5 years infertility)... Not yet!!!! LOL Nuva Ring is a one size fits all kind of thing.... you dont size it or anything, its just a plastic ring that sits around your cervix and releases hormones. I have heard so many women rave about how wonderful it is, I figured that would be the best option... so thats what Im gonna try. The patch isnt very effective on above 200lbs or so.
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/06 9:56 am - AZ
I've been on the NuvaRing since it was approved by FDA and I love, Love, LOVE it! It's super easy to use....you just insert it and your muscles keep it in place. You cannot position it incorrectly, as long as it's in your vagina (can we stay that here?!) it's working. The hormones are adsorbed through the vaginal wall and the dose of hormones is continuous. When I was on the pill I got hot flashes daily and I haven't had them since I switched. The webpage for NuvaRing even has some cool stuff, including a coupon for one free month (I think you can get one free a year, but don't quote me) and a little timer program for the computer that will count down until you're supposed to remove the NuvaRing each month. How is that? Elizabeth
timsdanni
on 4/11/06 11:41 am - Ft Stewart, GA
Ok so do you remove it and replace once a month??? I could handle that - I use a diva cup for my peirod and this doesn't sound any harder will you pretty pretty please post the link to it - I have to do my yearly thing in the next few weeks and I would like to be educated before I talk to the doc thanks bunches for the info Danni
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/06 2:41 pm - AZ
Danni, You insert it and take it out 3 weeks later. You leave it out for one week when you should have your period, and then put a new NuvaRing back in a week later. Here's the link! http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp Good luck! Elizabeth
pinkmommy
on 4/12/06 2:13 am - Triangle Area, NC
Last month, I asked my OB/GYN about the Nuva Ring and she said I had to be under 200 pounds. Was she not giving me accurate info? I have never been to her and will be moving out of the area in a few weeks, but wondering if I should to a new OB/GYN after I move and inquire about it. Rondi
Darlene X
on 4/12/06 2:18 am - Maricopa, AZ
Yup....wrong info... Maybe she was confused with the patch? The patch isnt effective above like 192-200lbs. The Nuva Ring just releases hormones which are absorbed by your body like you would get from the pill---- why would weight at all change the absorbtion? Check out NuvaRing.com Lots of info--- no mention of any weight requirements. A lot of WLS ppl I have talked to use it.
cathelewis
on 4/12/06 4:03 pm
Rondi, Your OB/GYN is correct. Mine told me the same thing, and so did an OB/GYN who was a guest speaker at our local WLS support group. The OB/GYN who spoke at our support group is also a WLS patient, and she recommended NuvaRing once we had lost a significant amount of weight. I use Depo-Provera shots, as recommended by my PCP when we discussed WLS and birth control. The OB/GYN who spoke at the support group said the shots are effective for large women, although there may be more side effects like spotting between shots. She also said that if needed, a woman can get the shots more frequently or get a double dose. I have read, but I'm not sure how true it is, that sometimes the Pill is not effective for RNY patients because of the malabsorption issues. Cathe
Beckers
on 4/12/06 10:54 am - Cottage Grove, OR
OMG, I have PCOS too, and I guess this is something I better get situated. I'm so used to NO birth control, NO periods, and NO babies This all could change if I don't be careful... I'm 37 and after all those years of crying over being infertile (in my 20's), I now DON'T WANT any children. My hubby and I love to travel, and love our freedom, and peace and quiet around the house... Not to mention I'm not healthy for that kind of situation to occur right now... I better see my OBGYN soon. GAH.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views