The feeling is gone!

ooh-lala
on 4/9/06 12:18 pm - Great Bend, KS
I am 4 weeks post-op. Up until yesterday, I had the feeling of fullness after consuming very little food. I did not feel hungry between meals and I was only eating 3 meals a day. Starting last night, I am able to eat a lot more food than I could the day before! For example, Friday night I had 1 oz. of shrimp (2 large shrimp). I took the last bite of the 2nd shrimp and it was too much. Within seconds I was in the bathroom. Tonight I had shrimp again. I had 3 oz. tonight! And I had to force myself to stop eating them. I'm so scared that now I will not be able to stop eating. I don't understand how I went from being able to eat 1 oz. to 3 oz. in a matter of two days! It is not just the shrimp. On Thursday I could only eat .5 oz of cheese. Today I ate 1 oz. and could have eaten more. Thursday I could only eat 1 oz. of shredded chicken. Last night I had 2 oz. Has this happened to anyone else? Laura
Joanna C.
on 4/9/06 12:53 pm - Miami, FL
Hi Laura, From the 3rd day post op, I was eating solids (had an egg and a slice of toast by the 5th day. I have never felt full, except in the first few days after surgery. Liquids run through my pouch without giving me any sense of fullness, even the protein shakes leave me very hungry after just an hour or so. I find that I have to measure everything that is not pre-measured to ensure I don't eat more than I should be. It is my understanding that once our pouch fully heals, in a few months, we will be able to feel a sense of fullness. In the meantime, I just back away from the table and/or only serve myself 3-4 oz of food at a time. It may help keep your hunger at bay and give you a greater sense of fullness once you start incorporating smart snacks in between your meals. The purpose of eating every 2-3 hours is two-fold: 1. It keeps your metabolism working round the clock, which in turn increases your metabolic rate and helps you lose weight. 2. It prevents intense hunger between meals, which causes everything from growling stomachs to gas, cramps, low blood sugar, headaches, overeating and other nasty symptoms. You're not alone. Just stay focused on what you want to achieve. Even though I do not feel full when I eat, I have managed to stay well within the guidelines of my NUT and I've been able to continue to lose weight. Remember also that, even though you may be eating more today than you were yesterday, it is still far less than you ate pre-op and the nutritional value and quality of the foods you eat now are helping to shrink your body and decrease your weight. Think positively - it will work for you...
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/9/06 1:07 pm - My Town, NH
Laura, I had surgery a few days before you did. I was surprised at the amount of food I could eat as well after the first few weeks. I asked my nutritionist how much I should be consuming at this point. She said that I should be able to eat a half to three quarters of a cup of food at any given meal. I was so relieved. I thought I was eating too much. I don't feel full like I did pre-op. Then again, my idea of full pre-op was stuffed to the gills! Now, I just eat approximately 4 ounces of protein and a few bites of vegetables or cheese and track everything in fitday.com. I average 600 calories a day and according to my nutritionist, that is where I should be. I panicked too, so I know how you feel. I think as long as our meals are primarily protein rich, we'll be okay! What's funny is that as I sit here typing at 11:06 p.m., I could eat something. My stomach isn't full. I could go to the fridge and eat a piece of cheese or have another NSA Fudgsicle. But instead, I'm going to bed. I've met my caloric, protein and liquid goals for the day so there is no need to put something more into my body. No need at all. - Stephanie
RebekaA
on 4/9/06 2:06 pm - Inland Empire, CA
Guys, What is this "NUT" everyone keeps refering to?
Sandra S.
on 4/9/06 2:51 pm - Mountain Home, ID
Took me awhile to figure that one out too, but it is short for Nutritionist. Sandra
RebekaA
on 4/9/06 3:06 pm - Inland Empire, CA
OMG, thank you Sandra! I was thinking "Is she referring to her Dr and calling him/her a nut?" thank you
BabyRuth2u
on 4/9/06 11:57 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Looks like this is common amongst us. I know that this morning I was able to eat a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese vs. the 1/4 cup that I've had before, plus a whole slice of very thin toast. My first thought is I dont know why I opted for a 1/2 cup over a 1/4, partially I guess because it just felt more normal, and secondly I know I'm not getting in enough protein and thought that would help. I see everyone's daily food list and via food I'm not getting anywhere near enough. Even with my two protein shakes I'm only getting 50 some maybe 60 gms. I think I need to start choosing some different food options. The other day I had eaten whichever meal it was and I do recall saying to my DH that I'm not full I could continue to eat more. I dont feel that feeling of fullness yet either. I didn't have anything more though. I've just been having what I fix / measure and am satisfied with it, but mentally am like I could have more. Guess we just need to make the conscious effort to just eat what we measure out and plan. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views