I need protein help!!

MsKeara
on 4/7/06 12:33 am - Baldwin, WI
Hello everyone! I'm in serious need of help. My surgery was 10 days ago. Since that time I've been drinking 2-3 shakes per day to get in my protein. Problem is I HATE shakes. It doesn't matter if its a strawberry shake from Dairy Queen or a protein shake. I just don't like them. I told myself that I could do this because I have to. Yesterday I threw it up. Today I retched and dry heaved while I was MAKING the darn thing. I can't just gulp it down and trying to "sip" on it all day just made be have a REALLY LONG DAY. I'm still on full liquids so I don't have the option of eating high protien foods yet. Is there any other way to get the protien I need? The shakes are not doing me much good in the bottom of the toilet. Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/7/06 12:44 am - My Town, NH
Ms Keara, are you using milk in your shakes? The only thing that has worked for me has been mixing the Syntrax brand Nectar Fuzzy Navel in Crystal Light Sunrise Orange. I don't put it in the blender, just in a tupperware cup with a lid and shake it up. I drop a few ice cubes in and am able to tolerate it. I drink it through a straw so that I don't have to smell it! I'm not a protein shake person either. I can smell the protein from a mile away and it turns my stomach. The Fuzzy Navel is tolerable to me. I can't handle the shakes made with milk, though I love to drink milk. There is something about the protein mixed with milk that I just don't like. I hope you find something you can tolerate soon! Best of luck! - Stephanie
jennb40
on 4/7/06 2:03 am - Nashua, NH
The thing that helped me and believe it or not I actually enjoy it....I use the Unjury that you mix with milk and I put it in the freezer for about 2-3 hours. It turns into like a fudgesicle...if you will....not really the consistency of ice cream, but the cold feels good going down. The Unjury has to be ordered online www.unjury.com and you mix one scoop with 8 ounces of milk and it is 30 grams of protein (if you use the Simply Smart milk with 10 grams of protein per 8 oz). I have ordered vanilla and chocolate and like both of them equally. I divide the 8 oz mixture into 2 servings and spread them out. Maybe that will work for you....I loved it! Good luck. Barbara
heychickee
on 4/7/06 4:33 am - Kyle, TX
Can someone direct me where to go to get some of this information? Such as, where did you find out about unjury? I am having surgery on April 24th and want to make sure that I am prepared and have somehwat of a variety of foods. The dietician at my surgeon's office gave me a "guideline", but it doesn't really go into "examples" if you will. I'm getting really nervous about not being informed about what I need and what will be helpful! Any suggestions. Oh, I also bought the WLS for dummies book...maybe I'll look in there tonight too.
bettyc
on 4/7/06 10:18 am - Covington, LA
There is a great sample pac on bariacticeating.com . I ordered it pre op and knew what I could stand before hand. Just go to protein powders and you will see the sample pac. I have also loved the little one serving packages when i travel post op.
heychickee
on 4/7/06 4:39 am - Kyle, TX
P.S. - Has anyone ever heard of Isopure Zero Carb? It's a protein drink and the nutritionist told me about this and said it tasted like watered-down Gatorade. My husband used to make protein shakes when he was going to the gym all the time and the smell of them made me sick - so I am looking for alternative protein sources too while in the liquid stage.
Veronica
on 4/7/06 4:48 am
I'm with Stephanie on this too. I was having a hard time with the protein shakes in the very beginning. Then a friend said I should try the SYNTRAX NECTAR products, as these really aren't meant to be shakes, they are more of a protein DRINK. They are wonderful! They are not thick at all, and you can't really smell the protein in them. They are low calorie, zero carbs, zero fat and have 23 grams of protein per serving. The FUZZY NAVEL is awesome. I just mix it with 8 oz of water and stir it with a spoon. This brand doesn't need to be run through the blender. My husband bought me a great ice shaver/snowcone maker, and I fill a glass with shaved ice and pour my protein drink in. IT IS WONDERFUL. It is now a protein icee/slush. The orange flavor really is sooo light that it's like your drinking water with just a tad of orange flavoring. You should try it, I think you'll like it. This brand also makes various flavors like tea, lemonade and so on. Hope this helps. Veronica Hill
miminjoey
on 4/7/06 5:46 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I am right there with ya...it's all gross unflavored or flavored...I mix in the unflavored to my soups/broths...hide's it really well!!! it won't get you all you need...but it will help get you some.
heychickee
on 4/7/06 5:57 am - Kyle, TX
Where do you find the unflavored stuff? I mean, who makes it? Are these things that you can find at your local GNC store?
miminjoey
on 4/7/06 10:15 am - Fort Bragg, NC
Yes, my tiny GNC had 3 different brands...just go in and ask...they will show you...mine has 21gm per scoop...and we all know how big those scoops are.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views