Just a little update on me (RNY 3/23/06)

peanutla30
on 4/5/06 11:54 pm - Bossier City, LA
Well, I got a really bad post op wound infection that is 7cm deep (about 4 inches) and it has to be packed twice a day by home health. It pours greenish, foul smelling pus every time because my surgeon does not want to put me on antibiotics. Now, before you hollar about that, he does have his reasons...I had pre and post op Abx and he is afraid if I get any more, I will end up with a nasty intestional problem called C. Difficile. If that happens, the collic in my intestines could pull apart my anastomosis and I don't want that to happen! He says it will get better with packing, so we'll see. I have been as weak as a kitten, staying at my mom's in a recliner. Now, the worst part is, I have to have my mom help bathe me and dress me....that's pretty sad. BUT, on a positive note. I have lost 20 lbs and am very positive about this surgery. Of course, I wish the bad stuff hadn't happened, but it did and there is nothing I can do to change it. It will get better! And I will take all this even more seriously, because I have had these problems! So, just wanted to touch base today....thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. They really do matter! I will be back with ya'll as soon as I can!
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/6/06 2:30 am - My Town, NH
Hi Marcie. Welcome home! I'm so sorry about your infection. That does not sound like fun at all. I bet your mom doesn't mind helping you dress and stuff. After all, it probably brings back great memories of when you were a little girl! I hope you feel better with each hour and that some of your strength begins to return. The first couple of weeks were the most difficult for me and then things were much better. Keep us posted on your progress and rest well! - Stephanie
timsdanni
on 4/6/06 5:59 am - Ft Stewart, GA
Marchi you will get better - I did the whole wound infection thing too - it hurts I know but it truely does get better. My sweet husband is still packign me twice a day and sometiems it is not so bad - this morning it was and I cryed and cryed and finally went back to bed. moving will help you heal faster if your doc will ok you walking or anything - it helps with blood flow - this is my 4th surgery and 4th wound infection putting you on antibiotics truely will not help but packing it and giving it a way out will. praying you get better soonest Danni 372/329/170goal
BabyRuth2u
on 4/6/06 6:02 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Marcie, sorry to hear about the difficulty you are going through. It sounds like the rest of your recovery was going very well and you have such a great attitude. I'm sure you will do fine and be up and around in no time. Wishing you the best on this to heal quickly for you.
Melissa P.
on 4/6/06 9:29 am - Aurora, IL
My drain tube incision got infected as well, but not bad at all. They put me on antibiotics, but they make me feel sick. I go to see my surgeon tomorrow, and am hoping he will take me off of them! It will get better. I am 1 day ahead of you, and am able to go to work. I think you will feel much better when your incision gets better.
Debra Welker
on 4/7/06 3:01 am - Kaukauna, WI
Hi Marcie, I had my laprny on march 23 also and I to have what they call a seroma which is fluid and infection build up in the fat cells under my incision. My dear husband has been doing my packing for me. The only pain I have is in the corners of the incision when I take the old packing out. I called the Dr office and they said theres nothing I can put on it just take my pain medication about 1 hour before changing the dressings. It seems to help. At first mine had a foul smell and was yellowish and red and now its pretty much just red and the oder is gone. I have to take antibiotic 3 times a day. Otherwise I am feeling so good, so of course Im dissapointed with this setback. I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery so I am happy with that. Sometimes I feel like I didnt have the surgery (except the wound pain) because I never feel really full but then I never feel hungry either. Well take care and it will soon be over, to bad you cant take antibiotics because you would get over it quicker.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views