I'm Home but not without issues.....

KerryP
on 4/2/06 12:12 am - MA
I had my lap-band surgery on 3/28. Unfortunately I had severe stomach swelling during the surgery and my hospital stay extended until Friday. During this time I couldn't drink more than 20oz of clear liquids a day. They sent me home on Friday afternoon when I was able to drink 30oz of clear liquid. I haven't had much more than that. Last night I had a bout of hunger pains. I almost went to the hospital because the pain was so bad but I took it upon myself and had 5 bites of cream of wheat and that curbed the pains. I'm really trying to stick to the liquid diet but I can't get down the amount of liquid required. I'm already down 9 pounds since Monday 3/27. My belly is constantly growling but I'm not constantly hungry. I'm taking my multi-vitamin, gas-x, calicum and getting in as much protein as possible (about 45grams). Any suggestions, ideas, comments, concerns???? Thanks, Kerry
Foxy411
on 4/2/06 1:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
Kerry, Glad to hear you are home! I was watching TV last night and the guy was eating a big bag of chips and a cold beer...the hungry started then... last night I dreamt of eating ice cream and peanut butter...not pregnant but I miss my friend...I realized it was just in my head so when those thoughts come I am trying to focus on other things and working on other hobbies to occupy my time. Hang in there. Don't be hard on yourself just take it one day, one hour at a time. Ann Marie
KerryP
on 4/2/06 1:17 am - MA
I had a dream that I was eating pizza and chicken. LOL I'm trying real hard not to focus on it but it's hard when your stomach is constantly making noises. It's kind of distracting. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well....
BabyRuth2u
on 4/4/06 10:12 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Wow! LOL we all do have a lot in common and it seems we are all in sync now. Last night was the first night I dreamt of food. I don't recall what it was right now, but it was food! Then I come here this morning to see that lots of you dreamt of food last night too. LOL I guess my subconscious knows tomorrow is my two week post op visit and should be able to start some other foods and it's getting itself ready. LOL
rowEn
on 4/2/06 8:57 pm - Huntsville, AL
For the first few weeks, pain was actually my hunger notification! So don't worry, you aren't alone! If my stomach didn't hurt, I wouldn't eat...just sip sip sipping along on my water all day. I still don't get hunger pains until they are actually "painful", which gee, maybe I just never knew what real hunger was before surgery? My grumbly, rumbly stomach started to make less noise once I got rid of most of the gas. Unfortunately, dairy products make it MUCH louder and worse, so I tend to stay away from those now and use the lactaid milk if I need to use some. Good luck and welcome home!
KerryP
on 4/2/06 9:12 pm - MA
Well...Funny you mention Dairy. I was telling people I was Lactose Intollerant. I'm not a dr. or nurse so I didn't know there was a difference between being L.I. and having a full blown Milk Allergy(as my mother (a nurse) kindly pointed out to me last night I have a milk allergy not just L.I.). The Boost was killing me as its main ingredient Milk Protein. What I perceived as hunger pains were actualy abdominal cramps. I've switched to my soy and powdered protein and I'm 100% better. No grumbly stomach, no loose poops, no belly aches. This is what I was expecting to feel like after surgery. Thanks ya'll for you help with this.
Lisa M.
on 4/3/06 12:09 am - LaGrange, NC
Well at least I know I'm not alone. I had my Roux-en-y on March 21st. I have dreamed about ice cream, Bojangles, Barbeque, cheeseburgers, and turkey pot pie was last night. How long do you think these dreams will last? I have been given 3 weeks of liquids and have to admit that I am getting to the point I HATE my every 15 minute meals. Yesterday, I ate a 1/2 oz. of grits and realized my stomach was okay, I wasn't going to die from food, and that will make it when I get OKAYED for soft foods next week (even though I jumped the gun). Do you think it is a terrible thing to do that ?
KerryP
on 4/3/06 12:16 am - MA
Oh My Lord....Turkey Pot Pies.....mmmmmmm I haven't had a food dream since the pizza and chicken dream. I'm getting creative with liquids. For example...I'll have chicken broth and add celery salt and stuffing seasoning. Or I'll add a bit of A-1 sauce to beef broth....They're delish! I cheated too a few days ago with a few bites of cream of wheat. I don't think it's terrible. I see my nut tomorrow and hopefully I'll be put on puree. Hang in there Lisa.....The liquid diet will soon be over. Take care, Kerry
ilovelegos
on 4/3/06 12:24 am - Dallas, TX
I too had swelling and had to stay a few extra days in the hospital. I was fine the whole time, not much pain and able to walk around right away, etc., but was not allowed to drink anything until yesterday. So i have been on a liquid diet for yesterday and now today. My stomach seems very 'active' as soon as I start drinking anything. Seems more like lower intestinal gas (and I am still having a lot of gas/bowel movement) than anything else. I am trudging along of course but would like to know when/if this will settle down anytime soon...? 253/234
KerryP
on 4/3/06 12:31 am - MA
My grumblies are completely gone. Saturday was my first full day on liquids and I had the same thing. Make sure you're not allergic to what you're drinking...That is something I learned the hard way. I bet by tomorrow or wednesday you'll be fine!!! 266/255 Take care, Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views