17 days Post-Op and NOT losing weight!

Joanna C.
on 3/30/06 6:56 am - Miami, FL
Hi there Marchers, I'd like your help, advice, ideas, etc. Am I the only one following Dr's orders without losing? I have not lost one lbs in six days! I am struggling seriously with constipation and I am PMS, but I can't believe that this is the reason. I'm drinking over 70 oz of clear fluids daily and getting 75-80 grams of protein. I'm also walking a brisk mile (about 15 minutes) almost daily where I NEVER exercised pre-op. Any ideas on what I might try? My appointment with the nutritionist isn't until the 5th. Has anyone else had this problem so soon post op? How are you all coping/ PLEASE!
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/30/06 9:34 am - My Town, NH
Joanna, I'm right there with you. I had surgery 7 days before you and my scale simply will not move. I'm following all of the rules my surgeon and nutritionist outlined. I think we just have to be patient. I consume less than 600 calories a day and my carb and fat grams are very low. I get more than the required protein in each day and take all my vitamins. I walk every day as well. I'm not sure there is much more we can do. Our bodies just need time to adjust to all of the change. I think I've been on a six day stall too. We'll make it. Eventually, our bodies will have no choice but to let go of some of the pounds that they are holding onto so very tightly! Keep your chin up! - Stephanie
Joanna C.
on 3/30/06 10:10 am - Miami, FL
Hi Steph, Thanks for the pep talk. I guess it's comforting to read how others are coping and that I'm not the only one. I've never been more anxious for my menstrual cycle to kick in - I'm dying to know if it's partly due to water retention. I overdid it on the exercising today and I'm really sore in my upper back - I think I'm obsessing. I'm sure it would help if my well-intentioned family and friends would stop calling every day asking how much I've lost. Sometimes silence is golden. Let me know if the scale starts moving for you again...
jennb40
on 3/30/06 7:49 pm - Nashua, NH
Isn't it sorta funny how they all call now and say "how much have you lost" when a month ago they were calling and saying..."you sure you want to do this, have you thought it all out"!!!! Try and be patient, which is easier said than done. Why don't you just give your nutritionist a call and make sure again you are doing everything they want. My scales are moving but I can certainly understand your anxiousness....especially when you go through all the anxiety just getting to the surgery....getting through it...and waiting for something to happen on the scales. Everybody does seem to post that it is better to only weigh either once a week or maybe even once a month due to the frustration levels. That also is easier said than done. Hang in there and you know it has to work....we have just thrown our bodies into shock and it might be the body's way of protesting! Focus on doing all the right things and enjoying these nice days of early spring! Barbara
quietbliss
on 3/30/06 12:21 pm - Keller, TX
Hi ladies- I had my first post op appointment with my surgeon today and he reminded me that we "have to eat in order to lose weight". Are ya'll getting in your 3-5 3oz meals every day??
loveinglife
on 3/30/06 11:10 pm - Abilene, TX
Hi everyone hits a piont where they stop loseing this is normal and your body will start back to loseing or and remeber that is you are working out that muscle weights more than fat go by inches if your not seeing anything on the scales that what I had to do and I was loseing but i was also putting on muscle and I freaked to .......but give your body time it willl come around Krystal GBP/ POST OP 28 days 228/198
rowEn
on 3/31/06 9:09 pm - Huntsville, AL
I'm getting ready to re-deploy back to southern Mississippi on Monday. I'm glad about this because I'll NOT be taking my scale with me. I think I can focus on eating better and stop obsessing about the weight loss and just weigh once a month when I come home to visit my family. The scale is either not moving or moving slowly, but my clothes are getting loose so I'm trying not to complain too much Keep up the awesome work and know that it WILL come off...just not maybe in the amounts or time we have our minds set to. But it WILL come off
KMMsupport
on 4/4/06 12:14 am - Upper Marlboro, MD
Congratulations on your new life journey, you are doing everything right so it seems. I had my surgery on the 13th and had a 10 day period of no weight loss. It came around the time of my cycle so be assured it will start to fall off again very soon. I have set small goals for me like 20 pounds a month for the first 3 months and it looks like I will reach that goal. This way my family and friends stopped asking how much weight I've lost. C...
Barbara M.
on 4/4/06 11:48 am - St. Louis, MO
Guys, I went through this exact same thing. I went the entire 3rd and 4th week and did not lose an ounce. I was following my Dr.'s instructions to a T. One thing I might suggest is add a few calories of protein - you might be eating too few calories and your body might be trying to hold on for dear life! I have now lost 31 lbs. in 5 weeks so I promise it will start back up. Hang in there! Barb
bobsmissy
on 4/5/06 6:14 am
I was so happy to hear that I was not the only one having this problem. When I went to my 1 week post op, I had only lost 5 lbs and at 2 weeks no, I think I have only lost an additional 3 lbs. When I went to my post op nutrition class yesterday everyone at 2 weeks was talking about 16, 20, and 25 lb loses and I was miserable. I am getting 80 grams of protein, drinking more than enough water and starting to walk. I guess it takes a little longer for some of us to jump start. Let's hang in there and stay positive. It is bound to come off if we keep doing what we are supposed to be doing. I am going to increase my exercise. Eunice
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views