5/06 member with a?

ap7yrs
on 3/29/06 9:54 pm - usedtobe, NY
I'm curious how you Marchers are feeling. can you tell me what week post-op you are and how your energy level, pain and food tolerance is. Also, any regrets so far? Thanks, Kris
viva
on 3/29/06 10:22 pm - Somewhere, MI
Kris, My surgery was March 20th. I really feel very good and as each day passes I feel my strength coming back. My energy level isn't up there yet but they keep telling me to keep the proteins up for that. I use 4 protein packs a day right now. I have had no food yet. I'm trying to walk more. So far I've only did 3/4 of a mile in one day. I have no regrets. Time is on our side be patient and keep working on your goal. Remember these next 6 months is a Window of Opportunity that's when are body will shredded most of our weight. Viva
bettyc
on 3/30/06 4:19 am - Covington, LA
Hi Laura My surgery was 3/13. The first day of the surgery was tough but by the 14th I was feeling good. The first two weeks were fabulous--so much better than I expected. week three, this week, I have had a little neausea especially in the morning. My energy level is not what I wi**** would be but I am 58 years old and recovery is harder with age. I can go out and make a quick Walmart visit and stop and take care of a couple of errands and then have to go home and sit a while. I am eating pureed foods-mainly soups and chilis. I live in Louisiana and gumbo has got me through this week. I had no hunger the first 2 weeks but am dealing with it this week. I am trying to get on a 3 meals a day schedule with a couple of protein snacks. I have had no problem getting in my fluids and proteins. As of now of course I would do this again. I do miss food in my life--not just eating. I am a gourmet cook who entertains a lot and planning meals, dinner parties and all that goes with that took a lot of my time. Right now I have no interest in food at all. My DH probally misses his dinners but doesn't complain--he is the greatest. He is used to fine restaurant quality meals at least 4-5 times a week. The frozen food from Sam's is not getting the compliments I used to. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions by email. On my profile is an account of the first three days of my surgery if you are interested. Be strong and positive--bj
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/30/06 9:44 am - My Town, NH
Hi Kris. I'm feeling quite well. I am 3 weeks post-op. I have yet to find a food I cannot tolerate including milk. I loved milk prior to surgery and am so glad I can still drink it. It's great to have a glass at the end of the day and know I'm adding protein grams. My energy level is good. I started back to work this week and have done very well. Today I worked almost 10 hours and am still awake! For me, the pain was negligible. The morpine pump took care of the pain very well immediately post-op and I switched to liquid pain medicine the following day. Three days after I returned home I began taking liquid Tylenol and stopped taking the narcotics. Two weeks after surgery I wasn't taking anything for pain. It took me a while to get all of my protein, water and vitamins in but by Monday I was successful at all three. I love being on the pureed stage! It's so much better than the liquid stage. I've eaten the following: eggs, Laughing Cow cheese, deli ham and turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, refried beans, canned chili, tuna fish, haddock, cooked carrots, and diced peaches. I've tolerated absolutely everything. I have yet to barf! Honestly, I'm very grateful that I've had such an easy time adjusting. Thus far I do not have any complications. I will see the surgeon and nutritionist on April 13th and hope that my labs will show my diligence with the vitamins. No regrets here! I will say that the weight is not falling off as I had dreamed it would. But, it's only been three weeks. I've lost about 12 pounds since surgery and 34 pounds prior to surgery. I'll take a 46 pound weight loss! Hope this helps and best of luck! - Stephanie
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/06 6:02 am - AZ
Hi Kris, I had my surgery on 3/8, so I'll be 4 weeks out tomorrow. I was in the hopsital for 3 days due to a fast heart rate that just didn't want to come down. I was a bit too dehydrated going into surgery and it was hard to get the fluids in even with the IV (my IV would blow if they tried to push the fluids too quickly). My pain wasn't all that bad. Morphine didn't work very well for pain control, but it sure made me sleep! Once I switched to liquid lortab I was much happier, but I only took that through Monday 3/13. I went back to work on 3/15 - although I worked from home for 1.5 weeks. I just couldn't take more time off or I never would have been able to catch up. I was on a full liquid diet for the first 2 weeks, and did develop lactose intolerance. I use the lactaid milk for protein drinks (soy protein) and stay away from anything with milk protein in it. They tell me I can try to introduce milk and milk products anytime, but I have no desire to be running to the bathroom right now. I'm doing well on a pureed/soft food diet. I struggle to get all the calories in each day (nut says 1000-1200) but I'm doing well with protein and fluids. I have no regrets right now (I'm down 28 lbs) but when I was feeling like crap the first few days in the hospital I was questioning my decision. I'll just blame that on the pain medications. This past weekend I started to have more energy, at about 3.5 weeks out from surgery. In another post I noted that I just have to listen to my body. No more getting 6 hours of sleep - I definitely need 8 hours a night right now. Good luck with surgery! Elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views