Anyone experienced pressure/tightening in stomach area?

Patti
on 3/25/06 11:12 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hello all March post-ops! (and pre-ops, too!) I am 10 days post-op -- was started on pureed foods Thursday. Including tonight (right now!) and for the past 1-2 days I have been experiencing this awful tight pressure in the middle of my abdomen. It is so uncomfortable. I have had some nausea and tonight I vomited after a couple bites of my egg that I must not have mashed enough--was that ever painful. It's not really incision pain -- it's more a pressure, kind of hardness. Has anyone experienced this? Just wondering if it's normal. Best wishes to all my fellow March post-ops and for those who are getting ready for surgery this month! Patti S.
jennb40
on 3/25/06 6:48 pm - Nashua, NH
Hi Patti....you should probably call your doctor just to make sure...it is probably nothing, but they would be the best to tell you. I don't know how many eggs you have had, but my nutritionist said sometimes people don't tolerate eggs very well at first. Are you getting in all your protein and fluids? Maybe if you can't get your doctor today, your should go back to liquids until tomorrow and see if that helps. The best thing is to always call the doc's office. I hope you feel better. Barbara
Patti
on 3/26/06 2:05 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hello Barbara! Thank you for your reply! Last night was pretty awful, but this morning is going much better -- I have been able to eat breakfast (1/4 c. cottage cheese and 1/4 c. egg salad--I pureed hard-boiled egg real fine and added fat-free mayo); then I followed an hour later with 1/2 c. SF CIB. So far-so good! Thank you for your support! I will keep in touch with my doctor, though, if it were to continue. Best wishes to you as you recover, too! Patti
bettyc
on 3/26/06 5:41 am - Covington, LA
Hi I am at thesame point but don't think I could eat that much without pain. I can eat one poached egg mashed witha fork is about all at one time. Someone recommend Taco Bell Pinto and Cheese I have gotten this when I was out can only eat about half of it. That hold me for about 3-4 hours. You may be trying to eat too much at one time. Good luck. bj
Patti
on 3/26/06 11:34 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hello B J! Thank you for your reply! Hearing from you and the next post has me thinking that it must be a full feeling. The dietician told me to eat 1/2 c. pureed food 3x day -- it's on their post-op diet -- they want me to get in 50-60 g. protein a day -- currently I'm at about 30-34. I will instead experiment with 1/4 c. at a time and see how that goes. I don't want to hurt my new pouch in anyway - not after all this! I'm also going to try the Taco Bell Pinto and Cheese -- that should be at least 2 meals. Thank you for the advice and encouragment! All the best to you as you recover! Patti
Patti
on 3/26/06 11:34 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hello B J! Thank you for your reply! Hearing from you and the next post has me thinking that it must be a full feeling. The dietician told me to eat 1/2 c. pureed food 3x day -- it's on their post-op diet -- they want me to get in 50-60 g. protein a day -- currently I'm at about 30-34. I will instead experiment with 1/4 c. at a time and see how that goes. I don't want to hurt my new pouch in anyway - not after all this! I'm also going to try the Taco Bell Pinto and Cheese -- that should be at least 2 meals. Thank you for the advice and encouragment! All the best to you as you recover! Patti
timsdanni
on 3/26/06 8:48 am - Ft Stewart, GA
Patti I was told that if you put your hand where your stomach used to be and put your thumb up that is where your pouch is now. is that where you are hurting?? if so you are overfull eat a smaller amount and see if that helps I am 2 weeks out and have been on soft foods for a week I have max 1/4 a cup of food at the time!! if I soft scramble an egg with half an ounce of milk in it and half a slice of cheese (ff swiss is wonderful ) than it is almost 2TIMES!! what I can eat with out feeling sick and overfull MAJOR differnce in my life and yours too I am sure REJOICE IN YOUR LIMITATIONS is an oft quoted saying at the support meettings I go to Mr. Pouch has strong opions on what should and should not be eaten and will let you know when you are too full. people have told me and I am starting to experance that feeling as soon as food goes in my mouth that it will not stay - I grab a napkin and spit it out!! I hate to puke hope life gets better hugs danni
Patti
on 3/26/06 11:44 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hello Danni! That is exactly where the pressure is, so I must be overful from the diet amount they want me to eat - 1/2 c. I'm going to try 1/4 c. meals at each sitting and see if it improves. Thank you and BJ for your alert about filling the pouch! So one egg scrambled (do you then puree it, too?) plus 1/2 swiss cheese and 1/2 oz. milk makes 2 servings? That would be a good breakfast, too. See what happens when I follow drs. directions to the "T"! They should suggest starting with 1/4 c. before heading to a full 1/2 c. meal. Isn't it amazing, though, how satisfied you do get and no real hunger pains. I was able to walk close to 3 blocks today, which is pretty good for me. The most difficult is getting all the fluids in - those are incredibly filling, too. Puking is the pits -- so hard on the incision area - I nearly screamed when it happened last night, but I got over it -- now I just want to avoid similar incidents. I wish you all the best with your recovery -- soon we will all be a lot better aquainted with our new pouches and will be eating like pros! Take good care of yourself, Patti
timsdanni
on 3/26/06 10:14 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
on the scambled egg thing when you add the milk and ff cheese and then cook it is is very very soft scrambled eggs. ok my dietician also says 3 meals, 2 protien shakes and that is it a day EVERYONE I have talk to (including a lady 24 YEARS!!!! post op) tells me they eat 5-6 times a day. they have protien shake then make breakfast eat half to 1/3 of it then an hour or 2 latter eat the rest. get lunch (say mcDs grilled chicken salad) eat 1/3 of it wait a few hours eat another 1/3 of it. wait an hour or hour and a half eat 6 almonds and 6 grapes wait till dinner and eat the last 1/3 of their salad. this is an example of a dear freind that is 4 years out and looks great- I have seen her eat and this is how she truely eats. I love my surgeon and will follow his advise on amount of protien and cals. to eat but I do think I will end up eating every 2 hours. I do 2 weeks post op or I get to tiered b/c I can not eat enough protien in a single sitting to go 4 hours till the next meal. I am workign hard to sip sip sip all day long so I get enough water. ok off of here and to the elipitacal - 19 mins is my goal today and I WILL DO IT hugs patti let us know if eating less helps that yucky feeling danni
robinsaxton
on 3/26/06 10:51 pm - Columbia, MD
Hi Patti, I just started pureed foods yesterday. I had the same feeling you described last night. I had about 1/4 c yogurt then a half hour later about half of a banana and then about 1 hour later a few bits of pureed tuna salad. My stomach hurt the rest of the night. Our nutritionists have recommended eating smaller amounts more frequently. I am supposed to eat 4-6 small meals a day (about 1/4 c per meal). I am only up to three but I am taking to the more solid things a bit slower than some. My only problem is getting in protein. I HATE protein drinks. They are so nasty. I can't add powder to my food, it totally makes my food nasty. So I am trying to get the protein in with food. I guess that'll mean lots of eggs. I am gonna try to pintos and cheese thing too. Feel better soon. What a change of lifestyle, huh?! God Bless, Love, Robin S.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views