When and What....??

Mama-of-3
on 3/24/06 12:04 pm - Philadelphia area, PA
When and what was the first pureed thing you tried? And WHEN? I'm a chicken but my doctor really wants me to do pureed foods. So many other doctors dont. Very strange! He is giving me until my next appt April 3rd to start. I'm afraid to get sick and vomit. Trish
Mary M.
on 3/24/06 12:49 pm - Livonia, MI
That's exactly how I feel, even when I went from clear liquids to full liquids I was afraid of what might occur. I am really worried about food getting stuck! Your fellow chicken, Mary
~ Stylz ~
on 3/24/06 2:45 pm - North of Boston, MA
saw the nut on friday, went grocery shopping since she said I can mix pb or fruit in my shakes and stopped at taco bell for pintos and cheese!!! i could only eat a little over an ounce, but it was soooooooooo good!! since its refried beans and most are already pureed, i just chewed and chewed and chewed before swallowing (little bites too) beans and cheese good source of protein I also bought cottage cheese to puree with a jar of baby food fruit to add sweetness to it. Ricotta cheese, add a little tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese for a lasagna kind of thing (you could even pulse ground beef til its almost pureed and add for extra protein) good luck and try to be creative
bettyc
on 3/24/06 8:06 pm - Covington, LA
I don't get to start pureed food until week 4. I wish I could start because I am dealing with nausea the last couple of days and it almost feels like hunger. The nausea started when the doc put me on fluid pills. I am still retaining fluid from the hospital. Good luck MARCHer the best is ahead of us. Be strong and positive--bj
jennb40
on 3/24/06 10:55 pm - Nashua, NH
Hi Trish, last night was my first "pureed" food! I had my surgery on the 13th and went to the nutritionist yesterday. I had haddock...the nutritionist said if you flake it and squa**** with your fork and put some lemon on it that should do the trick. I had 4 oz. and it was good...I kept waiting for something to happen, but it just went down, tasted good and I enjoyed it. I actually had an over easy egg this morning with some cheese on it...chewed and chewed...and it went down fine. My hubby works on Saturday and I take his lunch to him. I am going to stop at Taco Bell and get the pinto beans and cheese (10 gr protein)...since it is already almost pureed, I am going to chew and chew and see how that goes. Tonight I might try pureed tuna and low-fat mayonnaise with a little pickle juice in it. Just take it easy at first. I did buy some fat free refried beans and will try that with a little chesse - sounds like the Taco Bell thing! My nut also suggested boiled eggs and low-fat mayonnaise pureed...that doesn't sound too bad. Also, the nutritionist said that Wendy's chili is really high in protein and to puree that...hope some of the ideas help! Barbara
lyly
on 3/24/06 10:57 pm - Plainfield, NJ
As I read some of the post up there I get so sad. My surgeon up my diet to phase 3 with in 1 week after leaving the hospital and I have been eating soft foods. But its as close as you'll get to real food. I haven't thrown up yet. So just introduce one thing at a time. Boy do I have more energy. I hate the Protein shakes. So today I will go out to buy the stacker 2 protein water. I am 11 days post op. Down 25 pounds. I feel about 75% close to my regular self. To answer your question on of the first soft food that I had was grits, tuna, and I love applesauce. I haven't had to puree anything yet. Good luck on your journey! -Lynn
Mama-of-3
on 3/25/06 1:06 am - Philadelphia area, PA
Why are you sad? My doctor really wants me eating more normal foods too i'm just freaking out! haha I think that once I dont have ANY pain at all anywhere I will try some food to see how it goes down. I just dont want any pain in my belly in case I throw up. Why add more misery? =) I just love the suggestions! Thank you all Trish
timsdanni
on 3/26/06 10:24 am - Ft Stewart, GA
I have had cream of pot. soup with poached chiken cut up little in it, the filling from a frozen burrito (the kids were eating them and it smelled good) had about 2 T of it. made biscutts and gravey for the kids and had gravey with a bit of cheese on it (hey its similar to cream soup ) my surgoen suggests soft foods but not pureed. I can and have eaten soft scrambled egg,cottage cheese. the best thing I have found to eat out of are little bright pink condiment bowls from walmart -in the summer dishes section. they only hold 1/4 cup max - I just filled one with 2 T plain yougurt and 6 blue berrys. my bowl is full so even though it takes me as long to eat that as the rest of my family to empty reg plates I am eating with my wonderful husband and kids and that makes me feel good. I have told my husband that the first time we go out to chillis or something I am taking it and filling it off his plate and that is all I am eating so I don't get sick. the few times I have over eaten it was when I had a bite or two plus my little bowl good luck danni
robink
on 3/27/06 2:32 am - Billings, MT
I had my surgery 1 week ago. I am on clear liquids and having a heck of a time gettin protein in. Every thing I try I cannot stand the taste of it. I like water and am doing fine on the hydration, just not on the nutrition. I see my doc on Wed this week. I think full liquids will be better. I'm a bit nervous about the advance becuase I have been feeling pretty good.
Sheri D.
on 3/27/06 11:31 pm - On the edge of, SD
Hi Trish - I had my surgery on the 14th of March. I was on full liquids two weeks before and the week after. At my post-op appointment a week later (I was down 24 pounds from my starting weight), I was moved to pureed for 4 days and then to soft foods for 3 days. Today I start the general diet. The first thing I had was tuna, mashed up fine, and then that evening I had a scrambled egg. I have also had refried beans, yogurt, and soup. I have felt really good, haven't thrown up any. My doctors told me to eat three meals a day (3 ounces max) and have some type of protrein drink in between times. I am struggling with that, as I don't like the protein drinks either. I did order some Beneprotein from Walgreens that are supposed to be unflavored to add with my juices. Maybe that will help me get it in. Take care and good luck. Sheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views