Came home yesterday, surgery on the 21st.

Barry_T
on 3/24/06 2:13 am - Oxford, PA
Well, I'd say that all in all it went as expected. My scheduled time got moved from 0745 to noon .. so, I had plenty of extra time that morning to contemplate what I was about to do. I didn't change my mind. I'd say the biggest surprise was the pain I had right after the surgery.. in that time between the recovery room, and going up to my room.. I guess that gas they use to 'blow up' your abdomen really can hurt. I was mashing away on my PCA. It dissapated pretty quickly, and I started to fee better. I was up and walking around that evening, and made a turn up/down the hallway. MY esophagus and the new pouch seemed pretty tender at first .. once I passed the leak test .. I was able take some sips of water.. and they hurt once they hit bottom... but.. that feeling has gotten better every day.. now, on day 3.. it's almost at what I think will be normal. Like someone else said, I need to learn to sip and not gulp.. heck, I guess the whole thing will be a learning process. Today, my first full day at home, I'm feeling a little tired, and have taken had some naptime.. but, I can tell I'm getting better and stronger .. at 54 perhaps it'll take me a day or two longer to bounce back! This board has been a great thing to read and learn from, I thank you all for sharing your experiences.
bettyc
on 3/24/06 4:09 am - Covington, LA
Hi Barry--Welcome home. The surgery is behind you now the journey begins. I had surgery on 3/13 and am 58 ys old--another oldie but goodie. I did excellent the first 10 days and then yesterday develoed nausea. Not throwing up just yucky! I ws having trouble getting rid of hospital fluid and the put me on a fluid pill. Take care of your self and remember sip, sip, sip, and drink, drink, drink. See you around on the board--just think March 2007 all us MARCHer 06 and be in the bragging mode!! Be strong and positive--bj
Barry_T
on 3/24/06 9:38 am - Oxford, PA
Hey bj.. Thanks for you note.. you too stay strong and positive.. I'm sure they'll resolve those issues in short order. March 2007 here I come!
Tammy M
on 3/24/06 11:21 am - Somers, CT
Welcome home! My the rest of your journey be smooth sailing and full of success! Best Regards, Tammy
Tammy M
on 3/24/06 11:30 am - Somers, CT
Ooops I meant to say MAY the rest of your journey .... (I wish we could edit our posts!).
Barry_T
on 3/25/06 4:23 am - Oxford, PA
Thanks! I have to say, today (Saturday) has been a MUCH better day. I'm able to drink more, and get more protein in. And, I spent time on my treadmill. I think I'm gonna make it!
jennb40
on 3/25/06 5:12 am - Nashua, NH
Hi Barry...I am 55 and had my surgery on the 13th...us oldies heal about as fast as those "youguns"!!!! I am feeling great, in fact went back to the doctor yesterday and he released me to go to work on Monday - 2 weeks out. Just follow all your instructions and you will do great. I have been walking a mile a day since I came home from the hospital. I have 2 obnoxious pugs and walking them is good for all of us! Good luck and keep posting and let us know how you are doing...best wishes! Barbara
Barry_T
on 3/25/06 10:19 am - Oxford, PA
Thanks Barbara! Today has been MUCH better....I'm not up to a mile yet, but I did two sessions of 10 minutes each at 2MPH on my treadmill. I'll be up to a mile in no time.
jennb40
on 3/25/06 6:56 pm - Nashua, NH
You go Barry....you will be running in no time....NOT ME...I may never run, but I sure am going to walk! Hope you are feeling better...Barbara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views