New member - 5 days PostOp

Joanna C.
on 3/19/06 10:36 am - Miami, FL
Hi everyone - I'm happy to have found this site - lots of great support and information. I had gastric bypass on Tuesday, March 14th and came home on Wednesday. My husband says that the surgeon came out at 11:44 AM to speak to the family of another patient and by 12:26 PM, he had come out again to speak to my husband. So, my surgery took less than 45 minutes! Wow! The first few days at home were pretty miserable. I had a lot of neck and shoulder pain, and tightness in my chest that was so bad I could barely speak. I was given percocet but I couldn't find anything that would hide the extremely bitter taste of the crushed pill. I started feeling much better yesterday, and today has been relatively good. Lots of gas and bloating but Gas-X and liquid Zantac are helping tremendously. I've kept everything down. I'm drinking EAS Advantage Vanilla and Chocolate shakes - 15 gm protein and low carb - they taste like McDonalds shakes - really smooth and creamy. By the second day, I had some cottage cheese with sugar free strawberry preserves. On the third I had 1/2 a slice of toast with a tiny bit of butter, then I had a scrambled egg for lunch and kept it down. Today I had an egg/cheese sandwich for breakfast on one slice of toast, and it felt AWESOME. I go to the Surgeon on Thursday to remove the drain - I can't wait. As of today, I've lost 10 lbs and I'm feeling on top of the world with excitement.
bettyc
on 3/19/06 8:27 pm - Covington, LA
Welcome Joanna My surgery was 3/13 and if you would like to read my surgery experience see that date entry on my profile. I am doing great. So glad to meet you and the best for your progress. I am still on clear liquids with protein powder mixed in. I don't get to cottage cheese for 2 more weeks--i AM JEALOUS. Be strong and positive--bj
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/19/06 11:24 pm - My Town, NH
Welcome to the MARCHers Joanna! I'm so glad you are doing well and that your surgery was a quick one! Mine took three hours. But it's okay...I don't remember a thing! ;) It's great to have you with us on this journey. All the best, Stephanie
Mary M.
on 3/20/06 3:20 am - Livonia, MI
Hi Joanna, I also had my bypass on 3/14. A great way to start the spring! My surgery took a little longer than yours, 3 hours, and they took out my Gall Bladder as well since I already had stones. I stayed in the hospital until Thursday and was given a PCA pump and had a pain buster in my main port site (that is a catheter that releases a small amount of local anesthetic right into the wound area). I was feeling very comfortable. I was given liquid pain med for home. Thank God I didn't have to crush a pill. I am being kept on clear liquids until I see my doc this week for the 1st post op appointment. I was told by the dietician no more than 2 ounces every 25 minutes. I am refusing to weigh myself until I see the doctor. I want to wait the full week. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery! Good Luck. Keep us posted, Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views