3/20 surgery cancelled

ap7yrs
on 3/19/06 5:06 am - usedtobe, NY
Yesterday I started to develop symptoms of a sinus infection (sinus headache and post-nasal drip). I had surgeon paged because it hadn't gotten any better, but no worse either. He said, "absolutely not, no surgery until you've been on antibiotics for 10 days." I can't believe it. My in-laws have flown all the way from IN to MA to watch my kids. They're being incredibly gracious about it, but I'm ready to explode. He said they, "might" be able to get me in in the next 7-10 days, but my DH is on spring break now (he's a college prof) and so is mother-in-law. We think we can make it work if he can do it in 10 days. Otherwise it'll have to wait until May. I'm so sad, but secretly I'm a little bit relieved to have a little more time. I'm worried that I'll lose my nerve now that the moment has passed. I'll keep everybody updated. Thanks so much for all your support that you've given so far.
lele2
on 3/19/06 6:10 am - Troutman, NC
Sorry to hear that. I would be sooo bummed. I had a sinus infection that I had for awhile and the people at anesth. said as long as Im not running a fever I could still have it. After surgery they gave me antib. as routine and I left without a sinus infection. After blowing it all out, no wonder I had felt bad. Good Luck and hang in there.
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/19/06 6:44 am - My Town, NH
Yikes! Everything happens for a reason, as they say. You'll know what the right thing to do is and when to do it. Keep your chin up! - Stephanie
Sandra S.
on 3/19/06 8:04 am - Mountain Home, ID
Laura, The night before my gall bladder surgery, I could feel my allergies kick in also; I had post nasal drip and a terrific sinus headache. I called my surgeons office and spoke to his nurse. She came back telling me that it was alright as long as no fever or coughing. They went ahead with the surgery and my head hurt more than the surgery incisions following! Like Stephanie said, everything happens for a reason. Take this extra time to toughen up your convictions and get extra prepared for when you DO have your surgery! Take care! Sandra
aprilwilley
on 3/19/06 10:44 am - Corning, AR
I'm sorry to hear of the cancelation but it is better to cancel than to get the surgery done and end up with a major infection or even pneumonia like I did. Its hard enough coming back from the surgery, you definitely don't need an infection of top of that. I've spent over two years recovering from something as simple as bronchitis 3 weeks before the surgery and was treated with antibiotics and still ended up with pneumonia and in the intensive care unit for 6 weeks and rehabilitation for another six weeks. The Doc is looking out for your best interests. Let us know when it is rescheduled. Good luck
Jeanne B.
on 3/20/06 7:41 am - Warren, MI
Laura, My surgery for today was cancelled on Friday because I have a bad cough due to allergies, and bronchitis I had in February. I thought I might make it to surgery but I knew on Friday that it wasn't going away by itself so I called the surgeon. He cancelled the surgery until I could get a release from my internist or pulmonologist. I'm now on steroids for a week. I know exactly how you feel. I was lucky that my Dad hadn't left to come here yet so that could be delayed. I guess that I'm secretly happy that it didn't happen because I still have a lot of cleaning to do before the surgery and 3 weeks will help greatly. They are not so happy at work because I'm not scheduled for the next six weeks. Things will have to be adjusted. My supervisor said "See you don't really need the surgery, you can do it on your own. We'll help" Sure they will. I hope to have a new date within 3 weeks. Jeanne
Ayn
on 3/21/06 2:09 am - Flower Mound, TX
Laura: Having this surgery requires wrestling many mental demons to the mat and we prepare ourselves around that all important surgical date. When something happens to change that date, it can feel like we will not be able to "maintain" much longer. It may be a blessing in disguise. First, you do NOT want to have complications if they can be avoided and you may find that the extra time somehow lets you get to a new level of resolve that will let you be more comfortable emotionally and not less so. I've been there with a back surgery 5 years ago and it happened much like that--an amazingly so not like me sense of serenity simply descended and made that usually difficult 24 hours before surgery an actual breeze. So, take a deep breath and know that an angel is looking out for your safety. There is great serenity in that knowledge. Keep us posted on how you are doing. My surgery is on Thursday at "0" dark thirty, so we are very much in this together and together we will get through it in style. Be gentle with yourself. Alice
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views